Tadpole

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hi - The Northface Tadpole seems like a perfect tent (freestanding, light weight, easy set-up, etc...) but is made only for 3 seasons. Does anyone know of an equivalent tent suitable for 4 seasons? Thanks.

A tadpole was my first tent. I still miss it.

Unless you'll be traveling above treeline, or using the longest of sleeping bags in the winter the tent should be fine for most of your backpacking needs. I seem to recall you mostly venture into the Catskills

I doubt you'll find a 4 season version the 3 pole design does create something of a flat space on the tents roofs, a 4 season design wouldn't have something like that, nor would it have mesh on the top of the tent body

Check out the 3 season 4 season thread.

Looks like the tadpole weighs 5lbs. This is a Sierra Designs Omega CD, which weighs under 7lbs, is a roomy 1 man or close quarters 2 man and is 4 season.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38172134&memberId=12500226

I carry the Sierra Designs Alpha CD (which is a roomy 2 man, very close quarters 3 man) even when I'm solo, since its just over 8 lbs.

this one is under 7lbs also

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38470364&memberId=12500226

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right Warren but I'm on my last couple of peaks in the Catskills next weekend! (not that I'll stop hiking them though) I think it'd be nice if I could get a 4 season tent for future winter trips further north. My Eureka Summit is awsome but a little heavy - just under 8lbs.

Thanks Chip but I'm gonna try and keep it around 5 lbs or under (if that's possible) Maybe one of those betmid things or something. Anyone know how they handle in teh cold/snow?

Thanks.

A megamid was my first tarp tent. I really like that tarp tent.

After all these years with it I can still create a comedy show while putting it up. If you have a backyard, set i nit up there and measuring the sides and height can help with this ( I still mean to do this on a backpack at some point but i haven't gotten around to it). I've been looking at upgrading mine, and the oware alphamid seems to be a really nice variation on the theme. The design would certainly make the comedy show a less frequent occurrence- the vertical wall helps in getting the height correct.

Anyway, I find these sorts of shelters idea for winter, but I always feel I need a bivy wiht me when using one as spindrift can become an issue depending upon pitch and the wind. I've talked with folk who use them above treeline and say that they are usable but prefer a tent is there is a notable amount of wind.

i have a tnf slickrock. it's really tight with 2 people, but it's about 4 and a half pounds, and is set up in about 3 minutes. it's a nifty little tent, pretty basic 2 pole crossover design, but it feels really bomber with the fly on and all guyed out. i got mine on sale for $130, which doesn't hurt either.

luke

Chip - I'm likin' that solomente. I'll look into it a little more. Thanks!
But actually, how much different is that from the Eurkeka Zues tents? Apparently the Zues tents have very poor ventillation (from what I've heard) and that's the only thing keeping me from getting one.

The solomente is a lot more expensive than a Tadpole or Zues too.

One other question - is the Solomente freestanding? Can't quite figure it out from their website.

Last edited: