Tendonidis Thoughts?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Hey guys I am wondering if any of you can help me with something. For well over a year now I have been off and on suffering with tendonidis in my right knee. It is incredibly frustrating as I am sure many of you know. So does anyone else have the same problem and if so any treatment/cure ideas. I do know that one preventative is to exercise more throughout the week to work up to the weekend, but sometimes that does not even work. As I am 23 and I am not looking to hanging up my boots anytime soon, so any suggestions. Thanks

Jkrew81 said:
Hey guys I am wondering if any of you can help me with something. For well over a year now I have been off and on suffering with tendonidis in my right knee. It is incredibly frustrating as I am sure many of you know. So does anyone else have the same problem and if so any treatment/cure ideas. I do know that one preventative is to exercise more throughout the week to work up to the weekend, but sometimes that does not even work. As I am 23 and I am not looking to hanging up my boots anytime soon, so any suggestions. Thanks

I have patellar tendonitis. I went to a Doctor and he directed me to a Physical Therapist. I was about 40 at the time.

As you mentioned, exercising was good for me too, but stretching was also *VERY* helpful.

At your age, I would say see a Doctor....

First, make sure what you have is tendonitis. Go see a doctor or a sports therapist because there are many things that can cause pain in your knees, not all of them are tendonitis. What helps one problem can hurt another. Get that out of the way first.

If it is ITB tendonitis, which is what I had, the main solution is stretching on a regular basis. There are some websites with illustrated stretches that work well on the ITB, hamstrings, and quads, which all come into play.

Also, hiking poles and occasional ibuprofin helped, but stretching is what solved the problem for me.

-dave-

I had patellar tendonitis, ITBFS and one more(can't remember ) in one knee at once. I'm just left with some patellar tendonitis as a residual. If I don't keep exercising that can flare up pretty bad.

The physical therapist taught me how to tape the patella in place so it would track staight. But you do have to do proper exercises to strenthen the quads so it can be held in place by your own body.

One thing that is really important to rehab patellar tendonitis is to make sure you walk with your feet straight. You've got to overcome any toeing in or out. Even if it's the other foot it affects your hip/knee/ankle alignment . Most people have a slight toeing in or out of one foot.

Proper arch support will help. It changes the Q angle. Women tend to suffer from this more.

Anything that is out of alignment will make it harder to rehab. A good othopedist and a good PT can work wonders.

I had very serious patalla tendonitis, heres what I did with great success. First off, I would treat this in 2 stages, first recovery mode, then after recovery. Before I go further, this was MY stagety, see a doctor first and do what YOU think is right. First off, do not stop hiking, the body learns to adapt and overcome, I trained my body many years ago to climb and hike, and I do both through any injuries I encounter, I am lucky to have an extremely high pain threashhold which allows me to do this.
For hiking, get a neoprene knee brace, this will support your tendons and generate heat which will keep your tendon loose and warm. Poles, use them always, these take weight off your legs, any weight off your knees is very helpfull. Take advil before, during and after a hike, personally at the beggining stages I took 4, 4 times a day, then tapered down to 3, then down to 2.
I am not an advocate of PT but thats, me many people swear by it. Becarefull stetching you dont want to stain your tendons by stetching them, personally, I dont stetch, only for rock climbing.
Thats about it, your doctor will say dont hike, I found a sports doctor, they are used to treating athletes that work through there injurys.
At your age your body should be very resistant, hike, hike and hike, avoid running descents.
Oh one more thing, I talked my doctor into giving cortazone shots, into my knee, some are reluctant to apply them, but they get the ball rolling quite well.
This is what I did, like I said before, it might or might not be right for you. I do not like doctors, I believe the body is adapt at self healing, many urbanites live at the doctors and take what they say as gold, I do not, I think they over treat everything and milk the insurance company at your expense, they make a fortune on PT, so they prescibe it always and keep you hooked. Buy a bike and ride alot, its much less abusive then running, I would cannot afford to waste my knees running but I bike alot, it stetches and works your knees without overlee stessing them.

Jkrew81 said:
Best to see a doctor - knees are tricky to self doagnose. That said, here is all I know from expereince: A lot depends on where the pain is. If it is on the outside, it may be ITBS (ilio-tibal band syndrome) which is serious and unlikely to get better without treatment.

See this website for information, stretches, etc:

http://www.itbs.info/html/what_is_itbs.html

But it is best to see a doctor who will likely refer you to a physical therapist. If you have good health insurance, yoku'll be in good hands. If you don't, as I didn't, the therapist can give you some strectches and exercises youk can do at home, as well as explain in detail the cause of the syndrome and what needs to be done about it in terms of rest, icing, etc.

thanks

thanks guys, I went and got it looked at the other day and it is def just tendonidis. I have just been dumb and sitting in an office all week and then thinking I can go out and do a difficult hike on the weekends. Just had to learn that the human body does not alway work like that. So for now I have started stretching 3 times a day and mixing up running, swimming and some biking with a side of ultimate frisbee and we will see how this works. Thanks for the help guys

Tendonitis

My physical therapist recommends the following:

Ice packs (10 on 10 off) for an hour or two, several times per day
An elastic knee brace to keep your patella (knee cap) in place.
PT
Rest

Stay away from cortisone as it quite dangerous for your body. often, people who take cortisone shots, regularly, tend to be hold water - i.e. are overweight. And, your joints may swell.

A good prescription anti-inflammatory works better than cort. Be careful with OTC anti-inflammatory agents such as Advil, Aleve or Orudis, as they can upset one's stomach linings.

Moose