The official 2010 Spring wildflowers thread...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! What an extraordinary find! You captured the image beautifully as well, Jim.

Bladder Campion
4851311386_d381f8b5ae.jpg

Tall Blue Lettuce
4851311466_d45910209e.jpg

Fireweed
4850692747_944bdf94cb.jpg

JohnL

I think the photo below shows a Three-Toothed Cinquefoil.
Regardless, several of these were seen on 31-July at about 4800 ft along the Glen Boulder Trail.

3ToothedCinquefoil.JPG

One of the goldenrods?

4853928516_a668e17c1b_m.jpg

Found fairly frequently between 3,000' and 4,700' elevation on North Twin trail in the White Mountains. Anyone know what it is?

Yesterday I found a large patch of Wild Mint amongst the tall grass in a local bog. The aroma was delightful and refreshing.
4868204781_e4952c4a04.jpg

Nearby were some Elderberries, which were very tasty.
4868820184_6619aa3dc8.jpg

JohnL

Last edited:
Reviving this thread just in time to start a Fall Foliage thread...

Dewdrop (Dalibarda repens) on Lincoln Brook trail.

Last edited:
My trail work yesterday had a pleasant respite when I encountered a large area of Bottle Gentian. I had always wondered how pollination took place, but no more!

Very nice picture Rick! I had wondered myself. Yesterday I saw 50 or more of these on Temple mtn in southern NH. The deep blue color is very attractive.

Last edited:
A large leaved Goldenrod from Mt. Eisenhower - Edmands Path about a month ago. Not sure why the color came out as it did. I thought it was cool.

Sharp leaved aster on Mt. Martha

Very nice picture Rick! I had wondered myself. Yesterday I saw 50 or more of these on Temple mtn in southern NH. The deep blue color is very attractive.

Ironically, before yesterday's encounter, I was planning a trip to Temple where I, too, had encountered them other years. They have always been one of my favorites. Awesome varieties of these in Colorado, above timberline, as well.

Thanks for confirming that they're still there!

I found this late last week. I do believe it is autumn coralroot.
Hmm. A toughie. If in either NH or VT or ME, please call the appropriate Natural Heritage office + ask them for ID help (you will probably need to revisit when flowers open), as it is a rare plant in both states (so please don't post location info).

edit: Maine has a decent synopsis of most of their rare plants, here's the one for Corallorhiza odontorhiza.

Last edited:
I've run into turtlehead on three separate occasions lately. In particular there's a nice patch of it next to the Bennett Street Trail on Sandwich. Didn't think to get a picture though.

Hmm. A toughie. If in either NH or VT or ME, please call the appropriate Natural Heritage office + ask them for ID help (you will probably need to revisit when flowers open), as it is a rare plant in both states (so please don't post location info).

Thanks, Jason! I had to go back there today, but the flowers were still not open. I have the points gps'd, and pictures taken, and will put them in the proper hands. Many Thanks!