The perfect tent...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jasonst said:
So, is the diff between a 3 and 4 season tent the ability to shed snow? I know there are double walled tents - what is that for?
The main differences are stronger materials, usually one ore two extra poles to make the tent sturdier, more tie downs, designed to better handle snow and wind loads. Even when properly guyed, a three season tent may be ripped apart in the high winds that often accompany winter camping, or collapse under a wind/snow load.

Most tents are double-walled. They have a tent body and a rain fly. This allows for a layer of air between the two which allows moisture to escape while remaining waterproof. There are single wall tents which combine the tent body and rain fly in one layer. They save weight (and set up time) at the expense of less breathability. Originally they were only used at high altitudes where moisture wasn't an issue, but with improvements they are now used at altitudes seen in New England.

-dave-

As a side note, some people have mentioned the Sierra Designs Meteor Light. I have this tent, and I absolutely love it. It is THE perfect tent: easy to set up, bomb proof, spacious, good vestibule...except for one thing: weight. Packed weight is close to 8 lbs. Too heavy. That's why I went with the Lightning. Very similar...but half the weight.

FWIW, the close runner up was the MSR Hubba Hubba, but with such love for the Meteor Light, it made sense to stick with the Sierra Designs.

2manside.jpg

http://www.kifaru.net/paratipi.htm

Not the cheapest option by any means but very light and can be heated with a woodstove.

Two trekking poles can be substituted for the poles provided cutting a 1/2 pound or so off the weight.

TNF treefrog 23

free standing, small for 2 but great for 1, I've used mine 4 seasons, (just keep getting up to kick snow off)
wt 4'4", $139 on sale @EMS 30% off sale...
(and it's simple to set up- it passes the 'too many "sodas" in the dark test')

Last edited: