The Three Little Bears (Really)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I saw some of these bears as I was coming down a WMNF trail in the Franconia area. Their tracks were unmistakable in the trail mud, but I wasn't sure how many there were. On the way home in the car I saw the whole group, a mother and triplet cubs, which apparently had come down the trail along side me and showed up on the roadside a mile or so from where I had parked. All four look extremely healthy, I'm glad to say. Spring is here.

Thanks. What these pics said to me, though, was to go out and get a BIG zoom lens for these moments. I obviously use an amateur camera, which is fine, but what I'd really like to lug around in the car with me is a 10x or larger zoom lens in a fast digital camera. Is there such a thing yet or will I have to wait for SLR digitals to come down into consumer range ($5-600)?

You Can Get A Canon Digital Rebel 6.3 Meg.slr Kit With 18-55( 28-90) Lens For Around $7oo Bucks On Line ( Circuit City, Beach Camera ).check It Out.

It might make sense to get an all-in-one ultrazoom, like the Panasonic FZ-20 or the Canon S1 IS. Get thee to http://www.dcresource.com or http://www.dpreview.com and check the reviews.

They both have 10x and 12x zooms with Image Stabilization and are reasonably fast. While a dSLR will be faster, the lens well cost you another few 100's of bucks and it's not as convienent as an all-in-one.

-dave-

Last edited:
The camera for you:
KODAK EASYSHARE CAMERA, DX7590, 5MP, 10X OPT, W/DOCK, 2.2"LCD, MANUAL CONTROLS, 22 SCENE MODES. Retails for about $449.95. If you have a reseller's certificate, I can get it for you for $397.30. I work for a distributor.

Thanks but that's close to what I have except for 10x and I want to upgrade to better lens, probably Canon. They are great starter cameras, however. (But the EasyShare part was a waste with a cardreader.) I do appreciate the offer and would recommend this camera to others for a first digcam.

I **highly** recommend the FZ20 if you're looking for something less professional/costly/heavy than digital SLR. I got mine in December, it's great, 12x zoom (36mm - 432mm in 35 equivalent #s) + optical image stabilization (I routinely take pix at 1/20 - 1/30 sec at 100-200mm zoom [35mm equivalent #s] w/o a tripod) + manual focus + hotshoe + you can put on external filters/lenses w/ relatively inexpensive lens thread adapters. It has a few drawbacks but I'm looking forward to bringing it along hikes this summer, PM me if interested in more details. I looked at the Kodak and HP ultrazooms, the Panasonic seemed to have superior image quality based on the reviews I read on dpreview/Steve's Digicams.

edit: great photos! I've rarely seen bears & never seem to have my camera with me when I do.

edit: Canon's recently announced the PowerShot S2, it looks rather competitive with the FZ20, some addl advantages like closer focus, wireless remote (both of which would have been nice in the FZ20); doesn't allow for external flash though & has slightly smaller display. I don't have any past experience w/ Canons so can't comment beyond that.

Last edited: