Thinking About the Enchantments

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
So the deadline to apply for permits to the Enchantments in Washington is coming up real quick. I'm thinking about trying to snag a couple but I don't know enough about the area (all I know is that it is supposed to be incredible).

A few questions for those that have been:
(1) How big is the risk of thunderstorms in July/August?
(2) How long is the road walk between the "Snow Lakes Trailhead" and the "Stuart/Colchuk Trailhead" if we decide to make a loop of the Enchantments, which seems to be the optimal way to do it.
(3) Which lakes are absolute must-sees?
(4) Which peaks are absolute must-climbs? It looks like Little Annapurna is a must
(5) How many nights would you spend in the area? We are thinking two or three.
(6) Map/compass knowledge needed? Or are the trails/cairns easy enough to follow?
(7) How steep is "Aasgard Pass" in comparison to trails of New Hampshire?
(8) Any other suggestions? Warnings? Words of encouragement?

For those who haven't heard of the enchantments, here is an excellent source of info on them:
http://www.summitpost.org/parent/170944/enchantments.html

Thanks!

I haven't camped out there but I've been through it.

(1) How big is the risk of thunderstorms in July/August?
Low. The Cascades don't usually get thunderstorms. If there are any, that is completely out of the norm. Summer is dry and sunny.

(2) How long is the road walk between the "Snow Lakes Trailhead" and the "Stuart/Colchuk Trailhead" if we decide to make a loop of the Enchantments, which seems to be the optimal way to do it.
around 8 miles, 4 flat and 4 of those uphill to the Stuart lake TH. I've seen many groups car-spotting for and doing this loop - it is not uncommon. Of course I can't guarantee, but I would think that finding a ride down the road might not be too hard, especially on a weekend, and going from Stuart lakes towards Snow creek - those trailheads are pretty popular.

(3) Which lakes are absolute must-sees?
They are all gorgeous lakes and I think you basically see them all on the loop, save for a few that are just off trail. The ones higher up are prettier-IMO, just because they tend to be shallower, look bluer, and are higher up on the plateau (like Perfection lk) But that's not an area to be nitpicky about lake quality ;)

(4) Which peaks are absolute must-climbs? It looks like Little Annapurna is a must
Many peaks in there require technical ascents. Dragontail could be an option depending on snow conditions on the Eastern facing slope (A) heading up to the col (B) between it and the Witches Tower - you can see it from Asgaard pass (D). The snow is not very steep and is mushy when in the sun, icy and slippery before and after sun exposure-the north side of it near the rocks is a little easier going. I think I have also heard of people going West of Witches Tower and completely bypassing the snow. From the col just go uphill on animal/people trails NNW. It is a very high summit only second to Stuart in that area with great views North to Glacier Peak and Mnt Baker.
Enchantment peak (C) looks to be one of the other easier ones, the SE route being class 4.

(5) How many nights would you spend in the area? We are thinking two or three.
It depends on what you want to do and how much hiking each day. It is about 8mi to get to Snow lakes and the "start" of the Enchantments from the East. About 6-7mi from the West by Asgaard. If you give yourself one day for in and one for out then that leaves one day to wander around and travel the interior of the Enchantment plateau. The travel on the Snow creek trail up to the end of Snow lake is fast (as in the trail is well graded). The travel on the Colchuck lake trail is fast until about Colchuck lake. From Colchuck lake all the way to the Western end of Snow Lake I find the trail to be a little slower - rockier, more uneven. If you go off trail to some of the peaks it can be even slower depending on the terrain. Just take that into account when planning your days out there. Also, Summer days are long - I think you have from 5:30am to 9pm of light around that time of year, which helps.

(6) Map/compass knowledge needed? Or are the trails/cairns easy enough to follow?
It's pretty well-travelled and you will see cairns. Regardless, it still is nice to have a map of the area since it is pretty big and less confusing if you can identify certain terrain features against a map.

(7) How steep is "Aasgard Pass" in comparison to trails of New Hampshire?
Hiking trails out here are usually graded for stock travel (like the PCT), so you'll see lots of switchbacks and anything that your horse can't go up will be regarded as "steep". Asgaard is just close to 2K' of constant uphill - its just long, that's all.

(8) Any other suggestions? Warnings? Words of encouragement?
Pee on hard, durable surfaces - the goats love "it" and will dig up the earth if that's where it is - and they're not shy :D
As far as "other" - I like Leavenworth, despite it being faux Bavarian - just please don't end up going there and eating at the Italian restaurant :rolleyes:
And if you have time, go visit the North Cascades :)

Last edited:
The Green Trails maps are just fine. They are 15' minute maps so not as detailed as the big 7.5? USGS maps but they still have enough detail, have trails outlined and are smaller. They also have other info printed on the back of the map, like trail info (#, name, from-to, mi), campground info, and road info. If you're very curious I can take some pics.
I have a small collection but have recently just been altering the USGS maps and printing my own - but that's mostly 'cuz I'm cheap :) ...that and some of the USGS maps have weird borders in relation to some objectives. If you are flying into Seattle and planning on stopping at REI, they have the whole Green Trails and USGS map collection for WA there.

Oh yeah, and if you haven't yet, check out nwhikers.net for TRs. Here is a cool one I just found:
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7980885

Last edited:
I gotta ask. If you're making the trek to WA, how about considering some less-populated part of the Cascades? You could get awful lost and lonely in North Cascades NP, for instance. Or the Glacier Peak Wilderness http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreation/wilderness/#glacier. Or the Pasayten.

I was never enchanted with the Enchantments when I lived out there, because of the mob factor. I will admit to abhoring and abjuring all human contact in the backcountry to the greatest extent possible. YMMV. ;)

Last edited:
I gotta ask. If you're making the trek to WA, how about considering some less-populated part of the Cascades? You could get awful lost and lonely in North Cascades NP, for instance. Or the Glacier Peak Wilderness http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreation/wilderness/#glacier. Or the Pasayten.

I was never enchanted with the Enchantments when I lived out there, because of the mob factor. I will admit to abhoring and abjuring all human contact in the backcountry to the greatest extent possible. YMMV. ;)
I agree with you and Stinky! The N Cascades are really where the ruggedness lies. But Leavenworth and the area are also such a cool place! With friends visiting I always made it a point to take them to both, doing the long loop through the N Cascades HW, old Western Winthrop, the WA desert, and also stopping by Leavenworth. The N Cascades are very cool, but I can't think of any hike loops that can be easily done without some off-trail travel and adventure. There are plenty of there and backs.

I would be interested in hearing about other 15-30 mile backpacking trips in this area, but everything I'm reading says to do the Enchantments even with the crowds.

I'll do a little bit more research on other trips around the area, but I'm limiting myself to well-traveled trails because I still can't use a GPS or compass properly. Based on pictures alone, it does look like it's tough to beat the Enchantments.