Titles and such

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many years must one put in as a hiker to be a veteran

• 1-10 years

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • 10-20 years

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • 20-30 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • 30-40 years

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters
Veteran Hikers

I think that the title "Veteran Hiker" is one you earn based on hiking a lot, gaining lots of experience, AND then helping to introduce others to hiking.

Pat T

After finishing the winter season hiking in the North River Range, I feel grizzled and look pretty veteran ... though not sure if anyone but a veteran hiker would identify the wounds as being hiker related ...

I spent the weekend with a bunch of 46ers, a couple in the low 3 digit range, with representatives from every decade from the 50's to this decade, and they would all be considered veteran from a certain degree of relativity. However I doubt any of them has ever thought about it...

All I know is that I've done plenty of it. I've f***ed up a few times but not too badly. I'm mentally and physically tough.

Grizzled? All that takes is a few days without a razor.

There ain't no more to say.

Last edited:
(Note* Thanks to a friend for this valid point)

You mean to tell me that there is a veteran status for something we learned to do at THREE F@#$%^& YEARS OLD?!

It's ALL WALKING FOR GOD SAKES! Put one foot in front of the other... geeze. I'f I'm not considered a veteran and grizzled by now, I'm gonna buy a wheelchair! :eek:

Yeah, and with 5 teenagers(only 1 hiker), most of my mileage these days is mental rather than physical. :eek:

Maybe we should vote on a checklist, so the terms "veteran" or "grizzled mountain hiker" won't be misused. Maybe 48 points on the list and a formal award? Or would y'all settle for a good a "you might be a grizzled mountain hiker if...." list?

You bathe after a backpacking trip and the site of a thick gray scum around the tub doesn't phase you.

You know that good hiking socks don't feel scummy when worn three days on a trip.

You've become used to dirty looks at AYCE places after a long trip.

The only reason I chose 30-40 years is that there was no 50 years-plus option. :p

The following folks wrote good and pertinent things about this:

Sherpa John told us:

>It's ALL WALKING FOR GOD SAKES! Put one foot in front of the other... geeze. . . .<

pedxing tweaked us:

>Maybe we should vote on a checklist, so the terms "veteran" or "grizzled mountain hiker" won't be misused. Maybe 48 points on the list and a formal award?. . .<

And best of all, sli74 - Seema, The Wise One said:

>I would wonder why anyone would want to classify themselves when it comes to hiking. I find that I get enough "categorizing" in my "daily real world" life.<

G.