Tonight's bear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I was feeling bummed out by what I think has happened to that second loon chick, so when this bear showed up way at the back of my field tonight, it helped. This is a medium-size yearling. I saw it Thursday here too. I'm glad to say that it's shy of people and stays a fair distance away from the house.
It sat back there in the field happily munching away for fifteen or twenty minutes, then ambled into the brush and moved on.

Cool. Waumbek, I love your posts.

I was at Connetquot Preserve this morning, and encountered a playful young deer. She was lying in the tall grass, and as I approached, she jumped up and ran off a short distance, but I could see that her youthful curiosity and playfulness were stronger than her caution. She slowly approached me and then leapt around and around me, lithe and tawny, full of energy. I thought, you need to be more fearful of us apes, we're dangerous.

Steve

I know this picture stinks and I apologize for it. I am going to eventually try to do some contrast enhancement to see if I can bring out more detail. This little guy was munching clover on the side of the kanc when I drove up on Friday night about 8:30PM.

Unfortunately this bear was not bothered at all by all the people or vehicles traveling right near by.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
I know this picture stinks and I apologize for it. I am going to eventually try to do some contrast enhancement to see if I can bring out more detail. This little guy was munching clover on the side of the kanc when I drove up on Friday night about 8:30PM. Unfortunately this bear was not bothered at all by all the people or vehicles traveling right near by.
Keith

You've got a good close up picture here, SAR. Too bad about this bear's desensitization to cars.

Pat and I were driving in N Woodstock a couple of weeks ago and had a Mama bear and 3 small cubs race across the road right in front of our car. Perhaps they were visiting relatives at Clark's. I ought to know to keep the camera in my lap at all times.

An hour later, as we were going past Cannon, we saw a bear ambling about on one of the ski slopes.

audrey said:
I ought to know to keep the camera in my lap at all times.
An hour later, as we were going past Cannon, we saw a bear ambling about on one of the ski slopes.

Me too. But the camera is somewhere else 50% of the time! Do they walk on their own? They've counted eight (8) different bears on the Cannon slopes this spring. Even with some error, that's a lotta bears.

SAR-EMT40 said:
I know this picture stinks and I apologize for it.
Keith
I think he is very cute! A little fur ball.

AMSTony, SteveHiker and I spotted two bears on Saturday morning heading north toward Maine. The first was a baby bear who ran across I-93 northbound, just south of Franconia Notch, and then headed into the woods. No mama in sight. The second sighting was a short time later, when we spotted what was a slightly older, but still a youngin', bear run across Route 115, just beyond the turnoff for Route 302.

They were my first bear sightings ever. Is there a mini-baby boom of sorts going on in the bear community?

SAR-EMT40 said:
OK, a little photo magic and at least you can tell it is a bear now and that I wasn't making it up. :D Keith

It still looks fake to me! :D

I saw my first bear Monday. It was an adult that bolted across the trail. I just got a glimpse of his bear butt. ;)