Torngat Mountains web site

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
The Torngat Mountains rise in the area in the northern end of the Quebec/Labrador peninsula in Canada. The entire are is sub-alpine (tree line is at sea level) and is of very high relief, especially on the eastern (Labrador) side. Glaciation is very evident in the river valleys, fiords and mountain slopes. Think of it as 100 miles of the Presidential Range minus the trees. Elevations range from sea level to 5420' (Mount Caubvick/d'Iberville), with 10 signifcant peaks over 5000' and another 40 or so over 4000'

I have been interested in the area for two reasons 1) I'd like to visit the area and do some climbing and 2) I undertook (with Greg Slayden) a large scale study of the area to document the prominence of the peaks in the range. In the first round of our study we found an astounding 73 peaks with prominence of 2000' or more.

I have put together a web site which is part travelogue, part resource and part reference site for peak baggers and prominence baggers. I've shared it with a few already and now I am going public. But it is hardly finished. I want to find more pictures, more climbing accounts, more geologic and cultural history, more everything!

Here's the link: Papa Bear's Torngat Mountains web site

I hope to go there, possibly as early as this summer, and hopefully more than once. No, I'm not organizing a group (yet!) but it would be nice to find what interest exists for visiting this area from VFTTers. Feel free to comment on the site or the area in general.

Pb

Last edited:
If i remember correctly, Chris Townsend, author of a few LD hiking books, has explored that region. You might wanna shoot him an e-mail before you go.

:D

Gris said:
If i remember correctly, Chris Townsend, author of a few LD hiking books, has explored that region. You might wanna shoot him an e-mail before you go.
Thanks. I know Chris has done all 277 (or is it 278) Munros in the Scottish Highlands. There's a lot of similarities. The Torngats are sort of like the Highlands plus about 1000' of elevation plus glaciers.

The elevations may seem low, compared to even the White's, but don't underestimate the effect of latitude and remoteness.

Here is a page I found last fall describing, not only a tragedy, but also the region fairly well. I would love to visit there someday.

Tony

tonycc said:
The elevations may seem low, compared to even the White's, but don't underestimate the effect of latitude and remoteness.

Here is a page I found last fall describing, not only a tragedy, but also the region fairly well. I would love to visit there someday.

Tony

Thanks for this link Tony. I remember hearing this story about the lost couple (Dan and Sue) and never heard the final account. This site gives the full story and the pictures are the most detailed I've ever seen of the Torngats.
Thanks Again.

Let's see... where's that number for my travel agent?

Great Website! I read about the Torngats for the first time on Greg Slayden's website and I've been nutty about it ever since. I think I'd pass up a free trip to Mars just to go there.

I'll need some time to really chew through all the info there. The link is much appreciated.

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Very interesting site! Great job! Thanks for sharing PB!

The Torngats are definitely on my wish list too.
I've done the Groulx Mountains range in northern Quebec in 2003 and that really got me interested in exploring the peakbagging further north.

I fantasize about returning to that area, too. I was in the vicinity a few times many years ago aboard a Coast Guard icebreaker and saw the area from sea only.

My ideal trip would also include some paddling and I don't think any trip would be complete without native guides. My ideal trip would also bring me back via schooner.

National Geographic had a few articles on the Torngat during the past 80 years. Haven't changed much except fairly recently the area became a national park. Last I knew you could stake mining claims, for what wasn't exactly clear, but that might now be excluded from the park.

I'll add your site to my favorites, Papa Bear. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks to those who have responded. It's a labor of love (as are most of the compulsive things we peakbaggers do, no?).

One request I would have: If you have an outdoors oriented web site - and I know a few of you do - I would very much appreciate it if you would include a link to my Torngats site on your site. Use the Bellatlantic link below (this actually redirects to another site temporarily) which will stay as is for the foreseeable future (even if it gets redirected to another spot).

Link: http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/papabear/Page_Torngats.html

Thanks
Pb

There is more about this region and the tragic trip at: ottertooth.com then click on "Che-Mu" in the upper right corner.

Torngat Mountains National Park Reserve established

A few days ago an agreement was signed between Canada, Newfoundland and the Inuit to establish the Torngat Mountains National Park Reserve.

See News release

Similar stories can be found by Googling "Torngat Mountains National Park".

Much of the time spent in establishing this park was the settlement of Inuit land claims and establishing their territories and rights in the area. This is potentially a significant positive step by way of wilderness preservation (with the usual possible down-side of encouraging over use in a fragile area).

How this may affect visits to the area - fees, regulations, etc. - is unknown at present. I will follow the situation as it developes.

I was thinking about taking 5 or 6 days in late June to hit up Newfoundland (Gros Morne, the East Coast Trail and whatever else I can find). Does anyone know if there's an autoferry from there to the mainland, and if so, how long of a drive it would take from the most southern point of Labrador to the Torngats? If it's only a day's journey each way, maybe I can stretch it out to 9 or 10 days.

If not, where would you fly into from the New York City area? Thanks for any info,

--Mark

Yes, there is a ferry from Newfoundland across the Gulf of St. Lawrence to Labrador. But the farthest you can drive north is to Goose Bay (by way of Churchill Falls), several hundred miles of dirt road and still only about half way to the Torngats.

To get to the Torngats you go by either plane or boat.