Trail food

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any good recipes for homemade trail food. Im trying to get some ideas because Im sick of paying $1.09-$1.29 for power bars and things of the like.

Thanks.

This isn't exactly a recipe, but I once made my own "power bars" by modifying a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe to include whole wheat flour, oats, wheat germ, and apple juice concentrate (which is a great substitute for sugar in a lot of recipes), and not as much sugar. They didn't taste all that great (probably too much wheat germ added to the whole wheat flour) but they did a wonderful job of rejuvinating me on the way down from Mt. Tom one winter when I'd bushwhacked half the mountain and was pretty tired. I think if you tweaked a recipe like that it would work about as well as a power bar, and you can adjust the sugar/apple juice ratio so it tastes good enough that you'd actually eat it.

This is a modified version of Oatmeal-Banana Bars that appeared in the UCal Berkeley Wellness Lowfat Cookbook. They're pretty easy to fix and make good breakfast food as well. No preservatives, so refrigerate what you don't intend to eat within a day or two.

It emphasizes complex carbohydrates for readily accessible calories and minimizes fats which take much longer to digest; thus it's good for dayhikes. Backpackers could probably stand a higher-fat version.

HIKER BARS

Grease 9x13 inch baking dish with soft margerine. Line pan with waxed paper and lightly grease that.

In a large bowl combine:

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds)
1/2 cup dried currants (or raisins or cranberries or chopped apricots)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

In a blender puree:

1 banana
1 cup skim milk
1 egg

Add the wet to the dry, mix well and spread in pan with a rubber spatula.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.

If you check the contents of most boxed snack and granola type bars at wal-mart etc. they have the same carb and calorie makeup as cliff bars and the like. You may have to eat 2 to get the same carbs and calories but it's still cheaper than sports bars, plus you have more variety.

Trail Mix

Equal portions

Peanut M + Ms
Lightly salted cashews
Wasabi Peas
Trail cracker mix (in bins at nature food stores)

This has a good mix for me of carbs, sweets, salts, flavor (wasabi peas keep it interesting)

I try to limit my longer stops to once a day so I kind of live on this stuff while hiking.

I have improved my hiking breakfast regimen a bit. Now instead of eating 3-6 Hostess donuts on the drive I eat a couple of breakfast bars (Quaker Chewy's, Nature Valley makes a sweet and salty nut bar that is good). I try to eat a few on the ride up and a few over the first couple of hours of hiking to keep my energy up...then I switch to the trail mix.

I just mix nuts, raisins, chocolate bits, etc and put them in a wide-mouth 500 cc bottle. Easy eating even with gloves and/or a facemask. Minimal effort to prepare--nothing to cook.

Also carry such things as fig bars, a few cookies, perhaps a bagel or two, cheese cubes (pre-cut to bite-size cubes--handy in summer, essential in winter), perhaps a sandwich or two.

Everything is in a form in which I can just nibble as I move. No need to stop to eat.

Doug

I eat the Snow. :) Yellow is my favorite.

Er ahhhh.... Hmm... I mean... PB & J's! :p

Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo

Basic Recipe:
2 parts honey
2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal! I plan to try sweet rice flour soon.)
1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
Mix thoroughly, will take some time.
Pack into Coghlan's Squeeze Tube (REI, Campmor, etc), or in cold weather wrap in wax paper.
Single Squeeze Tube Proportions (2-3 lunches w/ large tortillas):
8 tbsp honey
8 tbsp corn flour
4 tbsp peanut butter
Per tube:
1320 calories
172g carbs (70 simple, 102 complex)
24g protein
38g fat (That's a high proportion of fat, but what the heck...)
BEWARE! Below 40F, Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo becomes impossible to squeeze out! I open the tube from the back and spoon it out when that happens. For snow camping I pack it in wax paper instead, eat it like a candy bar, or pre-pack it into tortillas.

Moose Goo Site