Trail Guides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Anyone ever use "100 Classic Hikes of the Northeast" published by Huntington Graphics? Is it any good, say as a gift to someone just getting into it? Does this company publish other guides? How are they?

Thanks

Hi Papa Bear,

Yes, I think it's an excellent beginner's book to Northeast hiking. It has great pictures, and it's also very clear and concise.

The only downside is that the book lacks trail maps so you have to follow the trail descriptions. Only one route is generally described for each mountain (ex. Beaver Brook Trail for Mt. Moosilauke), but so far the author has picked what have turned out to be my favorites for that mountain.

I believe there is a picture for each hike described in the book, and I can tell you that the pictures really help bring out the best of what you can expect. When I started to get seriously into hiking a few years ago, this was the book that originally got me interested in hiking Katahdin and the Franconia Ridge. The pictures are really quite good.

This publisher (same author) also produces a similar hiking guide to the mountain of New Hampshire and another on the mountains of Vermont. These are quite good as well.

I'd definitely recommend passing a copy of this particular book to anyone who is just getting started.