Trail Marking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail Marking

• Drove to far to turn around now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Continue on for now and re-evaluate later

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I don't need no stinking markers (summit bid)

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Time to go

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bandana4me

Reaction score
Here is my question:

If you were hiking either in a group or solo and it became necessary to mark your trail in order to make a return trip, what would you do?

I am real curious on this question due to my experience this week with a trail marker who preceded me. Personally I would turn around and head out. Now I can say that because I live here in the Whites and can hike almost any time I want. I go quite frequently with Marley (Jah Rastafari) my puppy as he needs his exercise as well.

Now I know some of you travel 2 and 3 hours to come up here and hike. So I was wondering if that makes a determination in your decision making.

Turned around on Adams

I have one of those 2-3 hr drives to the Whites. Last September I made the long drive to Appalachia and headed up Air Line. I had been watching the weather and tried to pick a good day - but when I got to tree line it was socked in, with strong wind gusts. I sat at the Upper Bruin junction for about 20 minutes hoping for signs of clearing, and considering my options - and then I turned back.

I came back 2.5 weeks later, the weather gods smiled on me and I had gorgeous views from the summit. I hated turning back but would make the same decision again.

To me, it's not about drive time for sure. If I had a map and compass, and I were below tree line, I would not need to mark my way. If I was above tree line, especially in Winter, then it might start to be good to know how to get back. But I still don't think I would make extra markers. If you can't see or find the cairns, then to me, it would be time to turn back!

It is not about drive time to the Whites....

I do carry a small amount of bright surveyers tape. I can think of only one time that I had used it. The Boy Scout Troop I was with became spread out on a climb up Lafayette one fall. I tied the tape to some shrubs at a confusing trail junction. On the tape, I wrote the time and the trail to be followed. The group behind followed, picking up the tape.

All and all, it seem to work well.

I read your other thread, banadana, about the people who marked the Mt Willard Trail. On occasion, I'll build a trail marker like placing a rock on the side of a trail or arranging broken branches into a recognizable pattern. I usually do this to mark the position of a seeded water bottle that I placed for the walk back to my truck. But I'd never break branches or do anything unnatural to the trail. I dont bushwack, per se, so as long as I'm carrying an accurate map, then I know exactly where I am.

bob

I answered "don't need no stinking markers". This answer needs to be qualified, your question says nothing about conditions. The decision to turn around should be based on the circumstances at the time. I do use a GPS and may put a waypoint on my unit the help find the way back.

I carry surveyor's tape with me and several times have marked the location of my campsite when I have hiked in and set up camp off in the woods so I can summit without tent, cookware and sleeping bag. The only times I have had to do this is when there is no water crossing anywhere near my campsite(1/4 to 1/2 mile) and I only do this when there isn't some definitely recognizable landmark along the trail and/or there is a likelihood of return after sunset.

My markings are usually 10-20 feet off the trail and further up trail from my path to the campsite and I always remove the flagging when I return. It is not very visible unless you are looking for flagging, and I have been fortunate enough to find it each time, although I have had to backtrack once or twice.

Like others, I'd like to claim I'd never need to mark my place, but that's not always realistic. I hope I wouldn't mark anything in a permanent way and have been a long-time advocate of Leave No Trace practices. In fact, I get perverse pleasure in (especially) taking fire rings apart and even "personal" rock forms people have placed.

If you need to mark a trail, better yet a bushwhack, I don't think you belong on that trip. If you can't find your way back, how are you going to find the mark! Learn how to navigate and leave the surveyors tape at home ... it's use can disqualify you from many peakbagging lists so preserve your bragging rights by finding the route with good skills, not unreliable gimmicks.