Trail Sign Correlation in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc McPeak said:
Plus, it's fun to see the look on someone's face doing the Haystack Basin loop when the sign says (after doing Haystack!) that there's 1960' of climbing ahead on the way to Basin! (It's under 1000')

I do find it keeps you mentally nimble adding up all those contradictory numbers.

HA! That sign was the deciding facter for me not to head over to Basin after already goin up Marcy then Haystack, because the mileage wasnt all that long. Being new to the ADKs, and not knowing it was 1000 feet off, I hung a left on the State Range trail and back down Phelps Trail to Grace Camp. The clouds were also starting to spit a little.

Although the col (lower left) didnt look to be almost 2000 feet of elevation gain to the summit, and seemed a little funny to me. I just figured the sign was right and my legs would thank me after I just decended to camp (and cold beer). :D

Twins signs

If memory serves me right, which it should as this was only four days ago...When on North Twin, the sign for South Twin states 1.3 miles. When I was on South Twin the sign read 1.0 miles to North Twin. I think I passed through some sort of black hole or something! :D

The remedy is simple: Take all milages off the signs. Same goes for destinations. Just give me a sign that I'm on the right trail.

Plan your route, bring a map (and compass).

el-bagr said:
A reliable source has informed me that since the AMC maps show trails' locations based on GPS -- but do not show watercourses or some peaks based on GPS -- the "location" of the trail can be right despite appearing on the wrong side of a stream. I'll try to remember the examples we reviewed.
That is what I heard. One example is the 2 crossings on Carter Dome Trail going up to Zeta Pass.

But the AMC maps have other errors that can't be explained that way, such as showing a trail going to 4025 on Owls Head and to the true summit of Mt Davis which the trails don't. Presumably some office-bound graphic artist decided to "correct" the GPS track.