Trail Signs with “Unhelpful” Information

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am ashamed to admit that the Tripyramid sign caught us the first time resulting in an unplanned south to north traverse.

While the sign in itself is kind of humorous, around or over is actually helpful. Especially if you have a dog (say, I don't.) For example, the ladders / cave route on the Percival-Morgan loop are not dog or kid friendly, so knowing the over (through) or around route info is quite helpful.

Tim

Very good point. Yet, the sign doesn't tell you how challenging or long either route is. Most people can tell in this particular situation (this was on Giant in the Dacks), but in general that sign might just cause me a little bit of worry. Who defines "bump?" lol

I found this sign particularly unhelpful:

aax.jpg

No. It's because the sign directs you to North as part of a loop route going up the south slide, when if you want to ascend North directly up the north slide you do not want to turn at this junction.

In this case, LOOP refers to the North-to-South loop, I believe. I agree it can be deceiving, but if you have your map with you, you should not fall for it.

Tim

P6300035.JPG

Speaking of spelling errors ............

(last word, bottom sign)

Picasa doesn't let you embed images, or even directly link to them. To see the posted trail sign image, right click on the ? or X (whichever you see) and copy image address. Then paste it into your browser's address bar and press enter.

Picasa doesn't let you embed images, or even directly link to them. To see the posted trail sign image, right click on the ? or X (whichever you see) and copy image address. Then paste it into your browser's address bar and press enter.
I assume you are referring to Hobbes' post? I can see neither the ? nor the x.