Trapped on the Trap Dike: New York forest rangers rescue two people from notoriously dangerous hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does Trap Dike compare to a trail like Huntington Ravine on Washington or the Great Gulf headwall where the trail is the brook for a 1/4 mile? Most of the photos I've seen of Trap Dike make it look steep but not too bad but apparently there is a "crux" moment in the middle that is pretty challenging and dangerous - a steep scramble alongside or in a brook or something like that. I don't think of I've seen a photo of that. I presume that is why so many people have issues. I have a friend who wanted to try that route but I was concerned about attempting it.

EDIT: Actually I messed around on YouTube for a bit and found a good video. That crux section does look pretty legit. Scrambling reminds me more of Katahdin than NH. Very steep but blocky rock that can provide good holds. A ranger in one of the rescue videos I watched called this Class 4 terrain.

Last edited:
I've hiked both; the Dike many times in all seasons; Huntington ravine trail only once, many years ago.

They are quite different. Huntington trail is a hike, steep in a couple spots and sometimes slick, but my buddy and I hiked down it easily with heavy packs, and never had to use our hands. Much of the Dike is like that also. But the "crux" section is definitely a vertical rock climb for about 30 feet. Climbers variably consider it Class 3 or Class 4.

If you know the Dike crux well, it's quite easy and secure, even when it's wet. But part of that is perception. If you view it as a hike, it's a really difficult, dangerous hike. If you view it as a rock climb, it's quite easy.

"If you know the Dike crux well, it's quite easy and secure, even when it's wet. But part of that is perception. If you view it as a hike, it's a really difficult, dangerous hike. If you view it as a rock climb, it's quite easy."

I was trying to imagine it. That's a very good explanation.