Travel duffels?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Right now I use a basic Outdoor Products XL duffel which is huge, something like 40" long and a decent size wide with a cheap zipper on top and a shoulder sling, end totes, and grab handles. However, it's basic nylon and rips easy.
I used it last year and to it's credit it survived flying to Boise, Anchorage, back to Boise, to Seatle, Back to Boise, back to NJ :eek:

however, it's ripping apart now and I've sewn it back.

Saw a bunch of nice fancy mountainsmith ones at STP:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.aspx?baseno=80718

One at BCgear.com:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/MS7052

The XXL looks like it will easily fit my backpack, plastic mountaineering boots and all sorts of sharp climbing gear.

Any recommendtions for cheap durable travel duffels? The wheeled ones are nice but too expensive and I like the training of lugging around huge packs.

Jay

Jay, I have a Bean duffle that has served me well. The nice thing with Bean is that if it breaks or wears early, they'll stand behind it. They look priced moderately also. Look at them here The more I lug and the more I see my wife & daughter pull on wheels, I'm not so certain it's not worth consideration these days.

I just did and sent MEC some email about their MEC Odyssee Duffel, they list it as 136L but don't list the dimensions, I need to be able to fit a full backpack in it. At 136L it should but thought I'd check.

I also saw my OP Colossus bag on sale at REI for $35. It's the same bag that I have now except instead of being easily ripped Nylon, it's Cordura...

REI-Outlet also has a large sized travel duffel from Seattle Sports that is listed as "Vinyl". Anybody have an opinion on how durable Vinyl is?

Jay

Jay H said:
Anybody have an opinion on how durable Vinyl is?
My pants have survived thousands of raves. They'll last through your worst substance enhanced episodes.

:D

As for duffles, this EMS one is pretty cheap, it's top loading, and folds into it's own pocket.

Hi guys, saw the EMS bag, I don't really need the extra car strap handles on the side, I have fears of them hooking on things and falling off conveyor belts and stuff...

Those hockey bags look interesting...

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-ebv60dlxcarrybag.html

I wonder if the zipper opens fully...

Going to check out bagselect... thanks!

Overstock has a cheap wheeled duffel for $60, by some golf company...

[edit] OOOOOHhh OOH, I think I found mine:

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/t...uery.ctx=duffel&backto=/agcatalog/results.tam

My father had one of these except it's simpler as in it doesn't have the backpack option but I know these things are super tough and with the shoulder straps, great for airports where one doesn't want to pay for a cart (like me!).

And the price is right!

[edit ] Whoohoo, paid for, looking forward to receiving it.

Jay

Last edited:
this is a useful thread as I am in the market for a new duffle as well. I love the ability to fly with my backpack inside a duffle. I travel with friends who just put their pack on as is. I prefer to have it protected (straps, buckles etc.) as well as the ability to stuff extra stuff around it. I also read on a separate thread here awhile ago, how security gives extra scrutiny to backpacks, knowing that they will often travel with stoves/fuel etc. If it is in a duffle, it does not attract any extra attention.

I've always just used an oversize duffle, but am thinking of upgrading the a rolling one. I too like the exercise of carrying it, but when humping through Europe, or with other stuff in your hands, the ability to wheel it is nice. I too have heard great things about the LL Bean bags and their very long term durability.

Jay, the straps on the military duffle look handy, but I would not like the top loading only issue. Full zip is necessary to be able to access stuff without completely unpacking.

Keb, the one I linked to does have a side zip!!! They have smaller ones but they are 36" long and 12" diameter (they're cylindrical) and those are top loading only. If you look closely at the one I linked to that I bought, it has a side zipper on it that unzips lengthwise!

Jay

Wow, that is nice! I looked too quickly and did not see the zipper. Darn, that makes my decision more difficult. I was going to get a rolling duffle, but this is tempting now. It is very light weight and less than half the price! Thanks

I was initially looking at one I found at Overstock.com:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=2002669

but I was worried about the 36" long part. You have to subtrack the fact that this isn't a duffel where the zipper tends to go from end to end. The zipper only zippers out in the crescent shape so if your pack is very very stuffed, it might be hard to jjimmy it inside a non-duffel. But the price is not bad for a wheeled bag...

Jay

Last year when I went to Rainier I used a goalie size hockey bag for all my gear. Next time I would probably use two of my son's smaller hockey bags for my gear because the goalie bag was oversized and as a result over weight for the airline and it cost me extra cash. Two smaller hockey backs will keep me under size and under weight for each bag.

I was never hit with the overweight penalty. When I did Rainier last year, I had two duffels and a carry on, so I put all my climbing gear and plastic boots into one duffel and all the other items I needed, like bear canister and regular backpacking gear into the other. I was headed to Boise to do some whitewater rafting, then to Alaska to backpack Wrangell St Elias and then climbing rainier on the way back. so I had gear that never made it to Seattle and I didn't need my climbing gear for Alaska...

Jay

Oh, I thought I'd produce some closure for this thread. The big Army duffel bag I bought which I put a link to on this thread was used for my west coast trip to climb those mtns in the cascades:

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/t...uery.ctx=duffel&backto=/agcatalog/results.tam

I was JUST able to squeeze a moderately packed Gregory Forrester in the bag above and close it using the unique clasp and clip closure system they use. I never put a padlock on it, bag made it out and back in great shape. The backpack straps on it worked very well and made lugging around the large load much more bearable in airports! I was able to carry all my gear in one trip because I had the backpack on and was able to carry my other duffel bag and my carry on in my free hands. Voila!

The Army bag even has a side zip although I never used it because I simply had my backpack stuffed inside of it, but it would certainly be handy to use, much like a front-access backpack is versus a top-loading backpack.

Two Thumbs Up!

Jay