trekking poles that don't fall apart

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abe said:
PS, Whils at EMS, I'll return my POS Black Diamond headlamp.

do you have the four LED lamp. my dome is not making consistent contact which results in the LED flickering until i play with it to make it right.. i haven't found a lampthat i like so i just keep working with what i have.

now, poles..
i have used the Komperdell brand of pole for 5 years.. i have bent them, rebent them into shape, banged them on rocks, droped them from clifs, wraped around trees and the things still keeping on going.

they are the twist lock and only everyonce in awhile will one pole drop an inch lower then the other...

its' amazing all the troubles people have with the twist lock...

p.s., my wife has had the Black diamond locking series of pole for about the same number of years. she has put them through the same paces as i have with my komperdell's and has had no issues with them...

There was an issue with the earlier Black Diamond LED headlamps just like you describe ADackR. If you return the headlamp to where you bought it, I don't think they will be surprised. As a replacement, I would encourage you to look at the Black Diamond Zenix. Fairly water resistant, comfortable, as well as high intensity LED and lower output LEDs. Nice headlamp.

John

I must be the odd man out here.... I bought a pair of Komperdells from the bargain basement at Sierra about 5 years ago and I have never had a problem with them. When I use them in the snow I fully extend them and wipe them off but have never had to completely disassemble them. The baskets (I have both snow and hiking) and tips seem to be fine as well. I also have a pair of 2 pice Leki back country ski poles. To be honest, I haven't noticed much difference.

Well Skimom, sounds to me you are "pole challenged"... and great excuse for stepping in the water crossing at BSP...I just know you really like wearing those ziplocks don't ya...

I've had problems with my EMS polls...took a great fall in the ADK this September because my poll gave out...just got new ones and over the weekend in the Pemi bent one again...I'm off to find a new brand also.

Happy poll hunting for both of us!!

Along with my Lekis (Makalu Antishock), which I love and use for hiking, I have pair of BD Traverse Flicklocks. They are great for winter and skiing, but I agree with Kevin...the tips are trash. I've only used them hiking (without snow) once, and the tips got pretty beat up.

The flicklock mechanism works pretty well, but I'm always certain to tighten them (with a screwdriver) before a trip, and make sure I have a way to tighten them on the trail (multi-tool). As I have had to tighten them a number of times in the middle of a day.

I also have REI poles and have never done anything to them except beat them up -- and the only "issue" I've had with them as that the lower sections sometimes shrink down/collapse by the force of pressure I apply as I'm hiking. It's a hassle but that's all. I simply extend them out again and tighten.

My REI Traverse poles have lasted me through 2 years of 4K and other hiking, including snow and ice conditions. I have dropped them, thrown them, and fell on them, and they have lasted through it all and are still goioing strong! I bought them through REI.com.

Komperdell (REI) Traverse poles-5 years of beating the crap out of them,all seasons,never taken apart and cleaned,and they're still great.

Cheapest poles yet

I started to use poles two years ago and was astonished how benefitial they are. However my son broke my trecking poles during their first use so I took to using some old downhill ski poles. They have been great and are as solid as a rock. Now I admit they dont look too cool and I havnt lined the stores pocket but I dont care.

We have 3 pairs of Komperdell's and find all 3 will lose the baskets because of the half turn to lock. They come off while using them. I put duct tape around the pole just below the basket and a wire tie on the tape. That seems to be holding fine after 75 miles or so. But changing the basket will be a pain.

I bought Leki Super Makalu's and had them collapse a lot. They came out with a new improved adjustment system so I returned them to EMS and they gave me a new set. They have been great.

If going to the Leki's make sure you get the newer tightening system.