Two British Climbers Killed on Mont Blanc

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for sharing, it's sad. With the types of trips he had undertaken I'm not sure it was unexpected at some point, it's still very sad though.

One of them did Everest at age 19, but when you do Everest, you aren't hopping up alone, it's with a guide service. These two 21-year-olds were climbing in the dead of winter alone, it's a whole different ball game. Real shame. Lot's of potential, and at that age, everyone thinks they're indestructible.

Lot's of potential, and at that age, everyone thinks they're indestructible.

Not completely true. Having witnessed some bad accidents in the mountains, and been on the brink of two myself, I have what I would call a healthy appreciation for the fragility of my body. Sometimes it takes a wake up call for the young to realize how delicate life really is, especially in the mountains. I'm very sorry to read this story about some so young (though it would be just as much a tragedy if they were older). I hope their loss is a reminder for everyone else to never take safety for granted, even if you're doing nothing wrong, there is still the potential.

Last edited:
The CNN story has a few more details, including the fact that the pole-to-pole trip was magnetic poles. (Still an achievement!)