Ultralite backpack and bear cannisters.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i went thru the UL metamorph two years ago. i don't think you necessarily need to hold off on pack. i think you will get yer load down to 25-40 depending on days out and then the Q will be hipbelt & stay(s) or rucksack. i do NOT agree with those that argue that any old rucksack can be made to transfer weight to hips via use of a sleeping pad. i think pack design plays a larger role than that. thus IMO the Q is are you the type that doesnt mind carrying most of a load on your shoulders all day or the type that likes to loosen up those shoulder straps and let it fall back on the hips a bit.

as far for hammock vs tarptent. i went for UL tarp over UL bug tent in lieu of hammock based upoen versatility - both as to number of users and conditions/pitch (sometimes a bug tent is all you need, sometimes a tarp).

I had a gift certificate to EMS a while back and the spire
caught my eye.

I looked at some Golite backs but they all felt way to flimsy on my back. I tried on the spire and it fit perfect. It's not as light as some framless packs but it's certainly not heavy. The canister would fine as it's 2500 cu in.

Gris said:
i do NOT agree with those that argue that any old rucksack can be made to transfer weight to hips via use of a sleeping pad.
Don't know 'bout "any old rucksack," but Tonycc seems to have good results doing this with a Golight Dawn, L, as he said above:
tonycc said:
I have the Golite Dawn, L, and the Bearvault 7 day. This pack advertises 2,400 cubic inches. The bearvault fits easily inside a rolled blue foam pad inside the pack. this set up gives an excellent rigidity to the pack, effectively transferring all of the weight to the hip belt.
I've had what I think are excellent results using a rolled-up closed-cell foam pad cut to seat-size in my EMS 2800LT, as I related above:
afka_bob said:
Tonycc's suggestion to use the b.c. wrapped in a foam pad is a good one. I use a seat-sized closed-cell foam pad as a "rigidifier" in my frameless EMS 2800LT -- works like a charm to transfer the load to the hip belt, and makes a great seat on rocks and snow.
Other than those (since Tonycc seems at least as satisfied as I am), I can't say.

Perhaps you were ignoring these and referring to some other instances of pad-stiffening frameless packs that did not appear in this thread.

I mostly use tarps or shelters (or both) these days to save weight and space in my specific iteration of the ol' frameless rucksack. If it's so buggy that I need a tent and mesh windows and doors, I'd just as soon go to the movies. Tarps and floorless tents suit the sort of camping I like to do and are very easy on the back. My old Eureka pitching tarp was pretty easy on the wallet, too.

Last edited:
That Spire looks sweet, similar to my ULA P-2 and exact same weight - only diff seems a bit smaller main compartment and no hipbelt pockets, but it's 1/2 the price of mine! :D

Gris said:
That Spire looks sweet, similar to my ULA P-2 and exact same weight - only diff seems a bit smaller main compartment and no hipbelt pockets, but it's 1/2 the price of mine! :D

Really don't have anything bad to say about it. Sure it's no frills -- isn't that the trade off ?.

I'm not ready to go frameless. I'm not sure i'll ever be for that matter - I like a sturdy feel.