Value of a Beard on the Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been bearded all of my adult life (except for the period immediatley surronding my wedding), I can say that I do notice that the face bush helps cut the wind chill on the face. However, stuffing it into a balaclava is no fun, neither is the ice. Last weekend my moustache froze to my beard with a good crust and I had to use my hands to get my mouth open and uncleared.
When out for several days it does get to be a pain because the ice tends to set up shop deeper within the beard and is harder to get out.
All in all, I stick with it, because thats what my face looks like and I would loose what little social acceptance I enjoy without it.
Tom

beard-cicle

I've found that the beard has no benefit in winter hiking, and the ice formations make drinking from a water bottle a lot harder! -ALG

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, does anyone else think Mavs looks like anyone famous?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ted Nugent???

I shave my legs all winter. I suppose since I work in emergency medicine, I"m more prone to think this way. I figure if I end up a patient, instead of a nurse, in the trauma room, I'd like to make sure my legs are shaved and my undies are clean :D

Beards can be very attractive on the right person. A couple of the guys I work with grow them in the winter, then shave them off in the summer.

Nadine said:
I figure if I end up a patient, instead of a nurse, in the trauma room, I'd like to make sure my legs are shaved and my undies are clean

You sound like my mom! "Make sure you have clean underware. What happens if you get hit by a car on the way to school, and they have to take you to the hospital."

Funny, though, when I had my fall a few weeks ago, I made sure to change out of my smelly polypro before going to the hospital.

Pete_Hickey said:

You sound like my mom! "Make sure you have clean underware. What happens if you get hit by a car on the way to school, and they have to take you to the hospital."

Funny, though, when I had my fall a few weeks ago, I made sure to change out of my smelly polypro before going to the hospital.

Seems to be true of our generation. Somehow the clean underwear lesson has not been passed down to the younger folks though.
Ayuh, things ain't like they used to be.

Nadine