VFTT Gathering 8.5 - Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where in Maine would you like to have the Gathering?

• Stratton/Kingfield

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Rangeley

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • MDI

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Northern end of BSP

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Grafton Notch area

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Does the Gathering have to offer standard peakbagging mountains?

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • yes

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 23 38.3%

• Total voters
open to all locations! :)

but rangeley would be cool.

can you camp and get to the trailheads?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about any campgrounds being open, but you can get to a few trailheads in the winter. The park loop road is closed, but you can get to sieur de monts, which is all the trailheads to dorr mt., from rte 3. You also can go to all the trailheads off of rte 198.

Also, for the Sugarloaf area, Burnt Mt is a great winter snowshoe. It is located on the left ridgeline of sugarloaf when looking at the ski trails.

I have no knowledge of any of these places so put me down as a 'huh?' and just tell me where to go ;)

Do I need a passport outside of the Whites? :D

Bob

I voted for the northern end of Baxter, but here's what would really be great - how about the Moosehead Lake region? You'll see stuff you never saw before. Big and Little Moose, Big and Little Spencer, Kinneo, plus the Elephant B52 wreck, plus bushwhacks you'd never imagine (and which you may want to soon forget). And with a drive over to Jackman, Boundary Bald, Coburn, Mosquito, and more, much more.

Get beyond the plain old HH, and go off to the woods!

Last edited:
I am moving from MA to PA next week, so maybe I can pickup up a leather apron on this one. I think it is probably close to a 10 hour drive from our new home.

If anyone else is thinking of going from PA/NJ Let me know, maybe we can hook up and drive together :)