Viesturs Retires

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I don't blame him - He is a living legend in my book!!
I say get out (at least from the 8K Meter peaks) while you are alive and accomplished. You need not risk life on chances of a freak avalanche or or someone else's bad luck - And at 46 he still has plenty of time left for a "2nd" career as a vet :D

I still remember when the news hit me about Alex Lowe - What a tragic loss to his wife and young family. :( He was another living legend, in my book.

Last edited:
Retirement

Visteurs is one of the few mountaineers. who has been around this long, who actually lives to retire. So many of these folks pay the ultimate price as they truly live life on the edge. it's great he is still here to enlighten & inspire us. So often they have to die to become legends. I just finished a book about 5 women who climbed K-2. at the time there were only 5 who summited and everyone of them has died - the reason for the book: Wanda Rutkiewicz, Liliane Barrard, Chantal Mauduit, Alison Hargreaves &, Julie Tullis. But Visteurs climbed w/ many of them & fortunately he did not suffer their fate. The name of the book is: "Savage Summit" by Jennifer Jordan it's really good - at least I thought so.

I have always thought Ed V. was a smart climber, good for him in succeeding in his quest and being alive when it ended.
I met him once, I thought he was kind of small and unassuming. One of the most if not the most inspirering things I ever saw, was the close up footage in the IMAX film of ED busting trail up Everest, high up on the mountain with very labored breathing to say the least, I was very impressed.

One of the most if not the most inspirering things I ever saw, was the close up footage in the IMAX film of ED busting trail up Everest, high up on the mountain with very labored breathing to say the least, I was very impressed.

I thought that was amazing too. When Ed left for the summit that day, the IMAX team gave him a couple of hours head start because he was climbing without O2 and breaking trail. They thought they would catch up to him, even with the camera, and be able to film him summiting. By the time they caught up with him he was on his way down. He had reached the summit, but was unable to wait for them at the top due to the cold. The shots of him on the summit (used for the posters, dvd cover, and such) were shot a year later! He is an amazing athlete, and I'm glad to hear he made a good decision about the 8000m peaks.