Views from the Desktop ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hey,

So, I've been using the National Geographic CD-ROM set for the Northeast for some years now, and it's great.

I recently came across this, which looks to be sort of a plug-in allowing 3D viewing. I should think you'd be able to simulate views from peaks, lookouts, whatever. "Can I see Katahdin from there?" and so on. There is also some sort of 'fly-through' feature, so that you can overfly all of your upcoming hikes, not just the ones where you actually do end up chartering a plane.

Anyway, has anyone tried this? Is it half as interesting to look at as it kind of sounds?

I've got to use my REI rebate, and all the stuff I really want is not eligible for the 20% discount.

Oh, and is it likely that I have a "8 MB plus video card that is DirectX 9-compatible" that is required for 3-D viewing?

Last edited:
Tramper Al
Oh, and is it likely that I have a "8 MB plus video card that is DirectX 9-compatible" that is required for 3-D viewing?

If your computer is less than 3 years old, runs Windows 2000 or XP, or you play almost any recent 3D game, you should be more than fine. Feel free to email me if not, or if you need help identifying what card is in your PC. I am well versed in the nerdly arts.

I own the TOPO! Northeastern set, and if I could be able to do the spiffy 3D map graphics like BobandGeri for only $20 I would be thrilled. Let me know how it works out.

Just ordered NG Topo NE and the 3d extension was a free gift with the order... will be able to give a review in a few weeks (its still in the mail)

F

I have it and it is pretty good.
You can lay out a route and once the program maps out the points you can fly through the 3D model of the path mapped.
It is fun, but I would not say very useful.
The graphics are ok you can get a better sense of the contours as the 3d is easier to read than the 2D topo map.

For 20 bucks not bad.
Al