Washing clothes....getting the funk out

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick said:
People still post to RBC???? It's been a number of years since I visited the NG....I thought it would have died with the WWW. :)
It has slowed down, but still exists. Penny's report is from 2004...

My poly usually starts to stink as soon as it warms up to body temp. I have been replacing it over the years and have been very pleased with Ex-Officio underwear.
Chip, I don't know if your friend was referring to this, but Ex-Officio claims you can easily take 2 pairs for 2 weeks and wear nothing else and just wash each pair each night by hand (they dry quickly). I have to say, I beleive their claims. I'd buy more EO products, but they are expensive...
Some brands of polyester underwear have anti-bacterial treatments that are supposed to reduce the odor. I haven't tried any myself, but I have heard reports that at least some of them work.

Doug

Stink!

We too have had the same problem. We tried everything to no avail. Finally traced it back to the "hard water" coming from our well. On someones advice we tried adding "Calgon", a water softener, (purchased off the supermarket shelf), to the wash. Very happy to say it worked!... Stu :)

Getting the stink out..

Running Times ran an article on this a few years ago and suggested that stinky clothes, including polypro, should be soaked in a sink with warm water and plenty of detergent for at least an hour or two. Rinse out and then wash as normal in a machine. I've been doing this since I read this and it makes a huge difference.

And who better to know then runners who wear the same thing for days on end...except maybe for thru- hikers :D