Waterville trails with kids on pulk?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gram

Reaction score
We are headed to Waterville Valley with kids 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. Thinking of renting a pulk from the Nordic Center for the youngest - she's a light weight!

We are snowshoers, not XC, and are looking for suggestions on appropriate and interesting trails. Some thoughts -

Greeley Ponds from Depot Camp
Tripoli Road - do snowmobiles use the road in winter?

Any suggestions / advice appreciated!

No snowmobiles on Tripoli Road--It's groomed for and used by XC skiers, although being the access road for Osceola/Tecumseh, and along with Livermore, no trail pass is required.

You might check to be sure the pulk rentals can be taken off WV lease / property... There are many side trails to be explored off Livermore Road, where you can do as many, or as few, as you like. You'll have to carry the pulk over one crossing for sure, on the way to Greeley Ponds. There is a bit of a drop down to the crossing too.

Tim

gram said:
We are headed to Waterville Valley with kids 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. Thinking of renting a pulk from the Nordic Center for the youngest - she's a light weight!

We are snowshoers, not XC, and are looking for suggestions on appropriate and interesting trails. Some thoughts -

Greeley Ponds from Depot Camp
Tripoli Road - do snowmobiles use the road in winter?
Waterville side, no. Don't know about the 93 side.

Also Livermore Rd/Tr.

Waterville permits the use of snowshoes on their trails that access the backcountry--all 3 of the above routes are in this category.

There are also 2 side trails off the the west of Greely Ponds Tr (S of the junction with the Flume Tr) which might be interesting if they are not too steep.

Doug

Gentle-to-rolling trails for pulk...

I would think that you're on the right track with Tripoli or Livermore Road -- steady grades with no sharp climbs or drops. Depending on your stamina, you might try Livermore to the Big Pines trail (though a good section of Big Pines would be a carry, now that I think of it). Livermore to the Boulder is a nice short hike. Livermore the Boulder with a spur off on Greeley Ponds (to one of the bridge crossings, for example) would be even better. Tripoli up into the north end of the WV trail network would allow you to stop off for hot chocolate at Burt's Yurt.

I haven't snowshoed it, but if you're ambitious, the Cascades Trail (leaves from Snow's Mountain parking area) is generally rolling (though there are some pretty good whoop-de-doos), and the cascades are very pretty (even the very first you come to -- climbing up from there with little ones in the winter would probably be nutty). I think it's about a 3-mile r/t to the first cascade.

Don't completely rule out some of the WV groomed network, either -- Saturday we took our 10-year-old for an hour loop, out along the Criterion trail, etc... less traveled than the easier stuff on the valley floor, pretty, and it would be very easy to pull the pulk on groomed corduroy (and less jouncing for the little one, too).

Please be careful on White Mountain Criterion. It is for expert skiers and they go fast, and don't expect snowshoers or beginner skiers. It used to be posted with additional warnings about racers, trainers and coaches and to be prepared to yield if someone yelled "Track" behind you.

("Track" == "Get the h-e-double-toothpicks out of my way, please")

Tim