Weekend backpacking recommendation in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for the ideal 2 day/1 night backpacking trip in the Whites for two reasonably experienced old geezers who care to do about 10 miles/day. Ideally, the trip would be a loop as we only have one car. One geezer is visiting the North East and new to the Whites so I'd like to throw in some stunning views and a few summits. Vague enough for you? :eek:

Crawforn Notch suggested

Hi,

I am heading there this weekend as well. While we will stay at Mizpah Hut Monday night, I believe that the views from Jackson, an easy day hike up and down, are excellent. You can see up the Presidentials to Washington etc.

Last year I wanted to go up Madison via Osgood Ridge Trail which would afford fantastic views but is only recommended in good weather as it is very exposed. I'd also recommend that one.

Good luck to you and your hiking.

-TrekMan

Northern Presis Tour - Park at Appalachia on Rte 2

Day 1 - Amphibrach to Spur to Crag Camp. Drop sleeping bags and stove and summit Adams by Perch Path to Grey Knob and then Lowes to summit returning via Upper Spur. Stay at Crag (you've already saved your space with your bag) and enjoy the view.

Day 2 - Upper Spur to Gulfside to Madison Hut. Great views around King Ravine. If you are feeling frisky, you can run up to the top of Madison. Most scenic return is by way of Airline.

Hope this helps,

I've done the Willey Range loop, you can park in Crawford at the Ethan pond trailhead, go to the Willey ridge junction to the summit (steep with ladders.) Spectacular views here. You go across the ridge to Field and then throw in Mt Tom as well for more nice views . You would get on the AZ trail at the notch between Tom and Field and take it to Ethan Pond trail where there are good camping spots not far from the jct. Take a leisurely hike out the next day, visit Thoreau falls on the way out.
Beautiful area!

Starting at the Pinkham Notch camp, take the Old Jackson Road, Madison Gulf and Great Gulf trails to the backcountry sites near the intersection of Six Husbands trail and camp there. Next day, continue on Great Gulf trail to Sphinx, climb up to Gulfside, traverse to Westside to Davis to Boott Spur and down Boott Spur trail back to Pinkham.