West Kill #35-Soon!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Okay, I'm getting down to the wire if I'm to finish my Catskill 35 before the April 9th dinner. Winter went by very quickly it seems. This weekend is out since I'm not hiking Saturday, and Sunday I may try to bag a couple more "winters."

That leaves two weekends. I'll watch weather forecasts next week, but I'm going to set Saturday 3/26 as a tentative date for this hike. This would leave the other days as back-up if the weather is bad. The following day is Easter, which could also have possibilities. I don't know if anyone would be up for hiking on the holiday though.

Either 4/2 or 4/3 would work as well. Basically I'm going to go with the first day that's reasonably likely to be fairly sunny. I usually don't care if the views are available or not, but for # 35 on West Kill, it would be really nice to have them.

Some of my recent trail partners know my plan-I'd like to spot a car(s) at the end of Spruceton Rd and start from the Western terminus of the Devil's Path. Hike West Kill end-to-end, enjoy the Buck Ridge Lookouts, and descend down to Diamond Notch Falls for a final treat and an easy walk out. Any takers?

Matt

Hi Matt, I would like to do West Kill with you but am of course mildly obsessed with my own 35 requirements. I haven't set any dates yet as I'm working this weekend but will keep in touch.

Hey Matt,

Easter Sunday, might be a possibility for me. That will definitely be a great hike. West Kill is well worth doing in good weather, as the views are completely sweet. Still have Rusk and Fir to do for the complete 35, so I'll have to see how things shake out. Hoping to do Rusk either Sunday or Monday with the Jack Russells, leaving only Fir. Hopefully Freddy and I will complete our 35's together on Fir.

Fred,

Waddup, we gotta make a plan to knock these peaks out. What's it looking like for you? I gotta gig on 4/2 so that Sunday will probably be out, how about shooting to complete the 35's on Mon. the 4th on Fir? That gives you a couple of weeks for the other stuff...Let's do it!

Josef

I would really enjoy joining you on Westkill. Saturday March 26th may work for me. I will know better in the next couple days. The other days are definitely out.

I got permission to go out this sat. She is leaving the door open (hope it's open when i come home and the locks aren't changed!) Is Westkill on?

Alright, I think I'm gonna go for it this Saturday, 3/26. There's probably close to a foot of fresh snow up there now, and the forecast is calling for AM clouds/PM sun. The tentative plan (which I'll confirm tonight or early tomorrow AM): Meet @ the lot at the deadend of Spruceton Road, leave a car or cars here, drive back to the other lot at the west end of the Devil's Path, hike West Kill end-to-end, back out Diamond Notch. Then, if all goes well, the optional steps-drive to restaurant/bar/pub/tavern, order beer/food, eat, drink, laugh.

We could meet about 9 AM. This should be more than enough time for this hike, including lunch, views, etc. If nobody else can make it, I'll probably just do the road walk at the end, or maybe just a there-and-back from Diamond Notch.

Matt

morning Matt, perfect timing, i'd like to join..will check thread tonight, just gotta find my missing gaitor!

Barring any last minute changes to my schedule, I'm in. If I can't make it for some reason, I'll call or PM you.

The parking lot you're talking about: is it the one for the Spruceton jeep road? Or is there another place to park closer to Diamond Notch?

Looking forward to it.

Okay, it's a go. Looks like we'll have four or more if everyone makes it. Look forward to seeing everyone.
Halite-I believe there is a second lot a little further down in towards Diamond Notch. We'll meet at the lot for the Spruceton Trail though. 9:00 meeting time should put us on the trail by 9:30, which should be more than early enough. I figure the later start time will make life slightly easier for you "commuters", and we'll still have well over 8 hours of light. I 'm bringing crampons just in case, but I imagine we'll be in the snowshoes most of the day. I anticipate wet, heavy snow (if it's warm enough) and a fair amount of blowdown after last night. Should be fun!

Matt

Hey Matt, Like To Join You Guys Saturday. I'll Be Up North Friday With Some Running Around I Have To Do But Should Have No Problem Sat.morning. Looking Forward To It! Tony.

Hi Matt, Wish I could make it. Good luck on #35. It looks like I'll be doing Rusk/Evergreen w Jay on Sunday if you're interested. I hope everyone has a great hike. Fred

Freddy,

If all goes well i'd sleep over sat night after westkill and meet you and Jay in the morning..can u pm me with info..thx coldfeet

Anyone interested in sleeping over sat night at he lean to by diamond notch (or somewhere else)..this is my last sunday off untol i think june...and hiking with freddy and jay sunday (if they don't mind)?..I'd rather not try it alone again because of the boogie man :eek: thx..i'll pack up gear for the night just in case..

Hey David, I talked to fred last night, he is coming over my place on Saturday night and we will be leaving early on sunday for the hike. If you're going to be there, perhaps we can do a car spot. We can hike to Rusk and then hike west to Evergreen and then aim for that narrow strip of NYS land to head towards the trailhead for the Devil's Path. (see map#41)

Then if we spot a car there, we can do this as a point to point hike. Does that sound good to you David? If so, email me to verify that you've read this. Meet at the END of the hike at the trailhead for the Devil's Path and then we'll take one car further east on Spruceton road to start the hike. Rusk first, Evergreen second. Okeedokie?

I suggest to try to be there around 8:30AM.

OK?
Jay

David, the leanto at Diamond Notch is a bit inland from Diamond Notch road and is a gradual climb... Would you be able to hike out and drive all the way to Spruceton Road from there by 8;30?

Jay

I like Catskills Boogeymen! I think there are a few still left over from 1969 Woodstock festival, souls lost and wandering through the forests......... trying to make their way home to a place that no longer exists............

Personally when I sleep alone in a car or in the woods I'm more scared of being abducted by aliens that work with the CIA but that's a subject for a different thread.......:D

Hope to meet you on Sunday, David. Anyone else care to join us? The weather looks like it's going to be OK now.