what digicam to buy for trails?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
Hi,

I think my beloved Canon G5 may have bit the dust. The guy in the repair shop says I "totaled" it and that it's not worth fixing. That figures. Over the past 3 years while hiking, I've dropped it, kicked it, sweated on it (I stupidly carry it on my belt buckle), and dropped it in a river.

So now it's time for a new one. I see so many great photos coming from this group (from Wu, Ivy, HikerBob, many many other), I'm wondering what camera do you all use for hiking? I'm hoping to get something compact (for hiking), simple (I'm almost strictly point and shoot), and one of fairly high quality (at least 5mp).

At first glance, I'm looking at Canon A95, Sony H1, and a couple of others. Your imput would be appreciated.

thanks,
denton fabrics

First off, I am honored to be same list as HikerBob & Dr Wu... not sure I belong in the same category as they do but thank you so much! :)

I use a baby camera (at least compared to others on here like HikerBob...) the Canon Powershot S410. It's 4 megapixels and I've been extremely happy with it. I've also been very happy with Canon's service (as I've also dropped it on rocks and a replacement shutter button that they supplied very cheaply.)

I previously had an Olympus digital camera (can't remember which one now) but I like the Canon better as its lighter and takes better pictures.

-- Ivy

Last edited:
I totally agree that there are some great photographers who post on this site... I took advice from VFTT over the winter and bought an Olympus D440?. I forget the model number, but it has three times optical zoom and uses AA batteries. I really like having a camera that uses the same batteries as my headlamp when on the trail, I like the redundancy. I've been very pleased with the Olympus, it has been beaten up, and has gotten fairly wet from snow melt in the winter, and it has held up nicely. However, it is a pretty inexpensive camera without panorama capability, which I wish I had.
Good luck!

If you liked your Canon G5, I can't recommend the G6 enough. It's a bit smaller than the G5, and it just so happens that if you go buy one from Dell TODAY, you can get it at an unheard of $420.*

25% off coupon 3$JFJ?K8LHNH44
$60 coupon C07TR1WFGJ18SF
Shipping is Free.

The A95 is also definitely a great little camera. At least 3 of my friends/family have it, and they're not disappointed. My only gripe is that I don't like cameras that take AAs.

*Edit: I only know of this deal because I JUST bought another G6 10 minutes ago. My last one had an unfortunately incident involving an interstate, a sign that said "Welcome to Indiana," and a fleet of 18-wheelers.

Last edited:
dentonfabrics said:
I think my beloved Canon G5 may have bit the dust.
So now it's time for a new one.
I know how you feel about the Canon. Depending on your hiking habits, I say consider having 2 cameras, a high feature one for "safe" hiking or family use, and another small lightweight much less expensive one for more adventuresome trail use. I use a 3 year old tiny Sony for that, which easily slips into my shirt or pants pocket and I can have ready within 3 seconds with little movement on my part. I have taken many photos that I would never have had a chance to take if I had to worry and fiddle with a larger camera protected in some sort of case. A photo of a surprised moose and calf, and an eagle low overhead are perfect examples. In wet weather a ziploc sandwich bag works fine to protect it. It is showing it's age at only 2MB, but I have found that for computer monitor showing (without zooming) it is as crisp as a much higher resolution camera. I wouldn't print an 8x10 with it, but at least I have the photo. I should replace it with something more up to date, but it has kept me happy and ready with thousands of photos I likely otherwise would have missed.

Last edited:
I have a Canon A75. The A95 is an upgraded version (primary difference 5M pixels). AA batts and CF cards. (I consider both an advantage.) The usual auto modes with maual overrides. (I normally override a couple of the auto functions.)

I'm happy with the A75 and would also be happy with the A95.

Lots of info at http://www.imaging-resource.com/
Some add'l info at http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Doug

I carry a Canon Digital Rebel. It's big and heavy compared to a lot of cameras, but it is the holy grail of photography to me, a Digital SLR, and I love it. It's worth it to me to have a good camera, because the mountains are worth photographing in all their glory.

I know I'm tough on it, but so far, it's survived ok.

But I must say, that Canon G6 is a tempting deal!!!!

ExploreTheEast said:
If you liked your Canon G5, I can't recommend the G6 enough. It's a bit smaller than the G5, and it just so happens that if you go buy one from Dell TODAY, you can get it at an unheard of $420.*

25% off coupon 3$JFJ?K8LHNH44
$60 coupon C07TR1WFGJ18SF
Shipping is Free.

Explore The East,

Thanks. I bought the G6 from Dell. I know a good thing when I see it. I entered in the two coupon numbers you gave me and I ended up getting it for $389.25. (They discounted the original price of $599 by $89.85 then I plugged in your two coupon codes.) I had to do it.

Man, I love this group!!! Thanks to all for your help and opinions!

thanks,
denton fabrics

I often wondered about this question myself as I have hauled my old SLR cameras all over the place. A few years ago I bought my wife a point and shoot digital Sony which she really liked but truthfully it is garbage compared to my Canon AE1 and olympus SLRs I think Tom Rankin said it best about the phots and his digital slr. I recently bought my wife an upgrade to a 4mp digital camera she says its a lot better but I am not ready to replace the old tech until I see something that truly replaces the quality of Kodachrome.

Over the last five years I have been mainly lugging a camcorder which I am presently using a digital minidvd Canon. It is good it is smaller than my AE1 and a lot of fun. But the stills I get from it ain't Kodachrome, not even close. But then again the instant gratification of watching my buddy step into the mud and uttering colorful "oops" is worth the photo downgrade.

Back on topic----I saw a web site that reviewed and rated digital cameras I'll see if I can find it and stick the link on here.

Last edited:
AntlerPeak said:
Back on topic----I saw a web site that reviewed and rated digital cameras I'll see if I can find it and stick the link on here.
The two other biggies are DPReview and DCResource, both are excellent places to get objective reviews of digital cameras and excellent discussion boards.

If you have an SLR, you won't be disappointed with a dSLR. Photo quality is for all intents and purposes identical, though each has some strengths and weeknesses. For web use and prints up to 11x17 you'll be hardpressed to pick one over the other. And digital offers some huge advantages that film can't match.

I've stopped carrying my SLR and don't have a dSLR yet in favor of my much smaller and easier to carry Canon SD300. Sure, there's lots that a dSLR would do for me, but for now it's not enough to take the weight and inconvienence factor. I'll get one eventually, but not yet.

-dave-

Thoughts...

Agree w the thoughts expressed above about the smaller digicams. I started w a Nikon 5700 (great 8X zoom but big) , then a Minolta A2 (great cam, big zoom, A/S but also BIG) and about 3 months bought the new Casio Z750 (7mp great cam and SMALL). The Canon 300, 400 and 500 series are all great small cams good for the trail. I believe SIZE is a major factor when hiking. You want something small, lightweight and CONVENIENT to use w pretty good image quality. Good choices above but go small. I've never gone the SLR route because of the hauling around of lenses, etc. Seems we're always carrying too much...

ExploreTheEast said:
Ahhh, you're lucky. You must live in one of the few states where Dell doesn't charge you sales tax! Glad I could help!

If you're in Massachusetts, there's a tax-free weekend coming up August 13-14th. I don't know the details about how it would apply to a web purchase such as from Dell, but if you've got a major purchase like a camera coming up, and you're in Mass, wait a couple of weeks (or drive to NH like everyone else :) ).

Oh, and I carry my 3 megapixel Canon S230 (Elph) when backpacking or whenever weight and size are an issue, and my Canon Digital Rebel SLR when I really want good pictures and don't mind the bulk. I love 'em both. The Elph has even performed flawlessly at -26F as long as I kept it inside my fleece and kept the battery in a *way* inside pocket.

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
I carry a Canon Digital Rebel. It's big and heavy compared to a lot of cameras, but it is the holy grail of photography to me, a Digital SLR, and I love it. It's worth it to me to have a good camera, because the mountains are worth photographing in all their glory.

Very well said!

I'd now be lost without my Digital Rebel. Point-n-shoot is great for convenience, as long as it will accept a polarizer. A polarizer is essential to capture the true blue color of the sky, and to cut down on glare. A warming filter(intensifier) is also essential for fall colors and such.

If you want to shoot wildlife, get an SLR and a zoom lens with anti-vibe, which I used to capture this...

Last edited:
Got onto this thread a little late and everything has been pretty much covered already.

Biggest factor when considering a camera for hiking and backpacking is weight.

THIS pretty much sums up the extremes. The D70 dSLR and lens I use tips the scales at a whopping 3 1/2 pounds, the tiny Pentax Option a mere 4.2 ounces.

While there are things the D70 can do that the little Pentax can't the smaller camera still takes some pretty nice pictures.

For a comparison you can check out the pics from the Moriah hike on which both cameras were used. The D70 ones (with a few from the Pentax added in) start HERE and the Pentax ones start HERE

Bob

forestnome said:
I'd now be lost without my Digital Rebel. Point-n-shoot is great for convenience, as long as it will accept a polarizer. A polarizer is essential to capture the true blue color of the sky, and to cut down on glare. A warming filter(intensifier) is also essential for fall colors and such.
I'd like a dig. camera that I can attach a polarizer to. Am I correct in assuming that this means going to a fairly high end camera?

Neil, that usually means at least heading towards the "prosumer" range. Many manufacturers usually sell adapters for their mid-higher range cameras (the non-DSLRs) that accommodate filters. I use a polarizer and sometimes some red filters with my Canon G6 and Pro1 all the time.

I have the FZ5, which is the way to go IMO. 8 oz, 12X optical and gyro stabilization, all for under $400. Pretty much all of these pics were taken with it, in just idiot point and shoot mode w/o any fine tuning. Sure you could get better shots with some effort - like attaching a polarizer to the lens hood (which i have and rarely use). :D