What do you pack for a five hour summer day hike ?...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It Depends

The answer is "it depends". Alway err on the safe side. The lists others have included all include excellent ideas.
Weather, locations, number in group, trail conditions, knowledge of the area, availablity of water, physical condition, etc. are all things to consider when eliminating items to carry. If I was doing a solo bushwack to a peak I had not done before I would carry all recommended items. If I was doing a family hike in a well traveled area that I had done many times, with easy access I might only carry water, food and first aid kit.

dr_wu002 said:
I know at least one person on this site who claims to bring an already tagged body bag in his pack in case he "expires" while on the trail.
-Dr. Wu

I never thought of it before, but I suppose my emergency bivy sack is essentially a "body bag".

One June I decided to leave the gloves behind because, hell, it was June! I came to regret that decision later on Crawford Path in the rain, 50 mph wind and temps in the 50s when I found my fingers wouldn't work well enough to undo my sternum strap.

One September I started up Washington in shorts and tee shirt. By the time I turned back at Boott Spur, I was wearing the polypro longies, fleece vest, rain shell, gloves and wool hat.

Day Hiking

Well a 5 hr day can mean just about anything from a simple hike on well blazed trails to a bushwack in the middle of nowhere. But let's just assume you are talking about a regular hike on decent trails; nothing out of the ordinary so to speak as I'm no expert on bushwackin.
The first thing I do is ck the weather. It helps me decide on clothing options etc.
The second thing I do is read the trail reviews on VFTT!
These give me a feel for how my day will be.
Then I pack:
Water -
Mini kleenex packs
Wet towellete things
1-2 plastic bags for trash (LNT!!!) :)
Munchies (trail mix, candy, granola bar etc)
Something more substantial for a mid-day lunch (wrap, sandwhich etc)
bug dope (deet) & sun tan lotion/ sun block
a hat or bandanna (I hang off my pack)
small ER kit
knife
packable rain pants/jacket (these can come in handy even if it doesn't rain for bug protection)
Poles
I always bring a warmer top in case we end up staying later & it gets cooler out.
head lamp
I have this big, lite blanket thingy i bring - hang it on the bottom of my pack. I got it at Price Chopper for $6 and it's huge and it's great to lay on for that nap on the summit! Maybe a pillow too. :p
A book or magazine (if it's nice out I love to hang out on the summit as long as possible and nap, read - take pics...)
Camera
Binoculars
gaiter? maybe depends where I'm going.
This sounds like a lot and i've debated over & over about down sizing. but you just never know. and I'd rather have it with and not use it then not have and frellin wish i had. Buy mini size things and go lite as possible. But have your bases covered bec you really do not know for sure what you are going to come up against.