What I learned on the way home from work yesterday...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
Well, I've been listening to one of Bill Bryson's more scholarly books, "A Short History of Nearly Everything," on my walk to and from work each day, and I learned something interesting yesterday...

he tells the story:

In 1774, a French scientist named Nevil Maskelyne brought a survey crew to Scotland to a particularly uniform mountain to try to calculate the earth's gravitational constant (G) with which they could then calculate the mass of earth.

The premise was that all masses exert some gravitational force on all other objects and that if one were to hold a plumb bob from the side of the mountain, the mountain would cause some miniscule offset from the normal hanging due to the earths gravitational pull. So, they set up measurements all over the mountain and recorded their measurements. When they tried to apply trigonometry to the the mess of numbers written down on a map, to pinpoint the locations of each measurement, they realized they couldn't make sense of such a jumble of numbers.

The mathemetician on the team, Charles Hutton, began using a pencil to connect the measurement points at each elevation. When he did this, he realized the shape of the mountain became very clear.

... so were born contour lines. Thank you Charles Hutton!

spencer

Last edited:
that's neat. I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that more things have been discovered
or invented by accident, trying to do something else, than by actually accomplishing the original goal.
Like discovering America and inventing Post-It Notes.
There's a lesson there somewhere.

Let's Get Small...

Spencer,

Hey, I am reading that book too! It provides a great layman's guided tour to scientific thought and progress throughout the ages.

And, did you know, 80% of the bio-mass on our planet is invisible? Big lunks like you, me, Sizzmac, SherpaK and other lumbering life forms are the exception rather than the rule. The microbes really hold the power! (There are probably 100 million of em living happily in your sleeping bag right now!)

I heartly recommend this Bryson book to all VFTT'rs. This title is very differennt from his "wise-ass" Walk in the Forest.

cb