What is "Redlining"?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SherpaKroto said:
Some people collect stamps, I like to collect new sights, whether they be up high, low, or in between.

SK, you really have a way with words. :)

At least one VFTTer, maybe more, have quoted YOU in their signature line. Have you ever considered working for a bumper sticker company? :D

I use blue instead of red. It think what got me started was a desire to go places I haven't been to yet. I have countless trips that I have planned, but just haven't found the time to fit them in. There's just something about hiking a trail you've never been on before.

For no apparent reason, I use a Black Sharpie for my trails. I used a Red Sharpie for my Black Lab. I use a Green Sharpie for my Redbone Coonhound.

Then, just for kicks I have a Blue Sharpie with triangles for where I've camped.

No, you can't see many of the trail names (or the brooks that they may follow along). But, this map is only on my wall and not being used other than that.

Spencer: in the real estate context, I believe it means somehow denying access to neighborhoods based on racial profiling/racism. I might be off on that.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct. Redlining was a practice after WWII. Certain neighborhoods (typically inner city neighborhoods) were outlined (with a red pen, one would imagine) and retruning GI's could not use thier goverment backed mortgages to buy homes in those areas.

Usually credited as the start of "white flight."

I've been redlining the ADK High Peaks map since when I first started hiking. Red for trails, green for bushwacks, blue for herdpaths and slides.
Lots of color, but lots more to go.

Is it still redlining if you use a purple marker and green for the AT?
:confused: :D :confused:

If not I may need anoter set of maps :p

The three meanings I've seen are the "banks and insurance companies illegally denying service in certain areas", "running uphill anaerobically", and "marking up specifications for future changes."

And, of course, running an engine into the red RPM limits.

Stinkyfeet said:
I do use a red Sharpie,
but have always referred to this affliction as
"trailbagging."
I've been using that term as well, having been unsure I was using the term "redlining" correctly but now I wonder, for argument's sake: if peak bagging only requires you to get to a specific part of the mountain (the summit) could you count a trail as "bagged" if you just hike part of it?
BTW when I actually did the mapmarking, I used a green highlighter - green just seemed more appropriate for the activity.

I guess it would depend on what your ultimate goal is. If it is to "bag" every trail, then I would suppose hitting some portion of it would suffice.

If, like I think many that are trying to complete this, your goal is to walk every mile of trail inside an area (NH in my case), then it would not suffice. That's why I personally have 15-20 sections of about 1/10th of a mile or so that need to be re-hiked. These are generally in areas where there are lots of trails (around Adams, Appalachia, Whiteface/Passaconaway for example).

Eric Savage said:
for argument's sake: if peak bagging only requires you to get to a specific part of the mountain (the summit) could you count a trail as "bagged" if you just hike part of it?

Absolutely not. My personal requirement for redlining a trail is to start at one end of the trail and follow it continuously to the other end. If the trail starts at a trailhead and goes to a summit, then the trail would have to be hiked uphill. Hiking a trail downhill doesn't count and section hiking doesn't count.

jfb said:
Hiking a trail downhill doesn't count and section hiking doesn't count.
:confused:
What if a trail goes up and over a summit or multiple summits? Would you hike the trail twice in both directions so you would do all the uphill sections?

Rivet said:
:confused:
What if a trail goes up and over a summit or multiple summits? Would you hike the trail twice in both directions so you would do all the uphill sections?

Probably not. If the trail is designed to connect the summits along a ridge, I'd start at either end. A good example would be the Franconia Ridge trail. If the trail starts at a trailhead, I'd start there and go to the summit. I don't ever expect to finish every trail and don't plan to hike short connector trails that are only shortcuts between the main trails. And I certainly don't expect anyone else to follow my style.

Redlining for me is a little different. My nephew and hiking partner - Steven - calls this redlining (similar to the automotive use of the term).

Because of a limit on my maximum heart rate, I wear a heart rate monitor when hiking. An alarm is set at my maximum rate. When the alarm goes off, I'm redlining. :)