What to do if you run into a moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I run into a moose I stop the car, get out and assess for damage. :D

From the article:

"What not to do: "Throw rocks or snowballs at them or get between a mother and her calf."

This made me chuckle in disgust. Why would ANYONE throw anything at a moose?

But I had no idea about the standing your ground thing. I didn't know that would tick off a moose more. Good things to remember as we head into April/May when the females and calves are out...and in October when rutting is in full swing.

grouseking

I once did apparently the wrong thing and threw some rocks in the general direction of a cow and calf (not too close, of course - would never want to hurt them). No effect. Fortunately, I was about 150 feet away from them.

BTW, most articles I have read say 150 feet is the rule of thumb for safety. This article says 100. Guess the key thing is to keep your distance!

Marty

grouseking said:
...But I had no idea about the standing your ground thing. I didn't know that would tick off a moose more...

Against carnivores/predators it's usually best to stand your ground because turning away or running could trigger their hunter/prey instincts, even if they're not hungry; whereas with a large herbivore, such as: moose, cattle, elephants, etc, they usually attack out of fear. If you get away from them so they no longer fear you, they'll likely relax a bit.

A few years ago I saw one of my sister's cats, Sabre, chase a chipmunk across the yard. Just as the cat was about to pounce on the little guy, he turned around, stood up on his hind legs, bared his teeth, and held up his little paws as if to say, "alright pussy, give it your best shot!" The cat sat there studying the little guy for a minute or so, then turned and walked away. If he'd continued running it would have been certain death. Sabre is a notorious mouse and chipmunk killer.

A moose was ahead of us in Baxter (North Brother) and was slowly ambling down the trail. Finally the moose stopped, and folded up its legs for a nap. The forest was so thick we could not go around so we broke the rules and got up close, perhaps 20 feet. Then I zig-zagged back and forth across the trail, moving in a little closer, perhaps 15 feet. Moose looked back, blinked, decided this wasn't a good napping spot after all, got up, then cut into the woods we couldn't penetrate, and disappeared. Now I'm known as "She Who Scares Moose." ;)

Raw Story said:
"They'll put their ears back, raise the hackles on the back of their neck and lick their lips."
There is a voice deeply ingrained in the Collective Subconscious of all Humankind that says "RUN" when a wild animal is looking in our direction and licking it's lips. :eek:
Fortunately with moose it appears to be the correct advice. :)

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Why don't you try that stuff out and let us know how it works. ;) :D
I'm afraid that the best test I will be able to do for a while is to just watch out the window if one happens to stroll through my back yard. I'll leave any quicker tests to others...

I did once come around a turn in a river (in a canoe) to find a mother and calf standing in the water near the edge. We backpaddled out of sight and when we came around the corner again she was gone. We probably got within 50 ft.

Doug

Camping at Russell Pond at Baxter I was awaken by some splashing - I went to check it out and a mother and her calf were in the water right in front of my lean-to (3 or 4). She noticed someone was around and came back and was pacing around the front of my lean-to area. I stood behind a tree the whole time with my camera taking video. She left after a little bit policing... excellent.

I tried that "get behind a tree" technique in Alaska, but I got tired after a few miles and the moose was long gone before I reached the tree.

cbcbd said:
Camping at Russell Pond at Baxter I was awaken by some splashing - I went to check it out and a mother and her calf were in the water right in front of my lean-to (3 or 4). She noticed someone was around and came back and was pacing around the front of my lean-to area. I stood behind a tree the whole time with my camera taking video. She left after a little bit policing... excellent.

I always wonder if the Moose in Baxter are of their own "KLAN" within their Species. Some of them near the campgrounds especially seem somewhat domesticated. Maybe never being hunted has something to do with it or they are just real use to people being around. One time staying at Chimney Pond we ventured down to the Pond for an after Dinner stroll. I guess the Moose in the neighborhood had the same idea. Upon arriving at the Pond's edge a Moose came out of the Thicket directly across the Pond from us. We were like "Kool" we can check this thing out real good as we had the pond between us and the Moose. Wrong! Within 15-30 secounds the Moose ventured into the Pond on a beeline in our direction. At first we thought no big deal but it continued in our direction. When the moose was about half way across the pond we decided we better get a move on. We ran back up in the direction of the leentos and sure enough the Moose made it's way across the pond and exited the water directly where we had been standing. :eek:

I came across a big bull on a trail in Cape Brenton Highlands National Park .
I was walking down the trail, my mind on something else, when suddenly I was face to face with this big guy, all of ten feet in front of me.
I shifted into reverse, and slowly started to back away.
When he started after me, I turned and ran for my life :eek:
Fortunately for him, he decided to run off in another direction
I was just about to turn around and give him 'whatfor'
;)

We've encountered moose on many occasions and generally have found them to be either shy or indifferent if not downright deferential. Of course, we've never come between a cow and her calf nor met up with a bull in rut.

The moose in Baxter Park do seem acclimated to people. At Chimney Pond, my son had to wait in line behind one to use the outhouse. I can prove it, I have it on videotape.

We also spotted one off the Marston Trail, less than 15 yards from the trail. It was so well camouflaged that you cannot make it out on the video until she wiggles her ear ... then the whole hulk takes shape.

I recently read someplace that if you see a moose, you should mimic the browsing behavior because a moose thinks that's normal and wont be aroused. Sounds good to me....I think.

bob

Stan said:
At Chimney Pond, my son had to wait in line behind one to use the outhouse.

Really? Must've been a big outhouse if the moose was able to use it.

Moose attacks:
Use an axe
Link removed to video after I realized this guy died.
Moose info and a story
A dead moose can still attack
This guy needs glasses
If all else fails, ummm....pray
Another attack
Very sad story
Moose gets his butt kicked, then goes after a hunter.

All joking aside.
When driving at night use your high beam headlights when you can or this may be the last thing that goes through your mind! :eek: ;) (A moose in the road stands too high for the low beams to illuminate him even at a short distance)

Last edited: