What would you do?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I have a question of what other people who hike would do with this situation. I was climbing mckensie mtn by lake placid and at the stream just before the jackrabbit crossing I met another hiker. He asked if I saw the bear. He left trailhead at 6:30 am and ran into what he said was a "big" bear. I had my dog with me and said my dog would probably scare it off. It was about 10:30 am by now. Now my dog see's many animals on television and never does more than put her nose against the camera when see see's another dog. One day she saw a polar bear on tv and barked like mad. She has never saw a bear before, but this sent her into orbit. Well 5 minutes after I saw the guy on the trail bailey started barking like she saw the devil himself (or herself, depending your point of view). Now I though "OH MY GOD!". :eek: I did not see or hear anything, but the rest Of the hike I was on high alert. Now I know there are many bears in the woods and I have passed them hundreds of times without seeing them. Now hear is my question. Do we owe it to other hikers to alert each other of the posibility of bears in the area or dont say anything. If I didn't say anything and something happened I would feel awfull for the rest of my life. On the other hand if I saw a family of 4 on the trail I would not want to scare anyone for no reason. A young 12 year old girl might want to turn around. I cant say if I would want to know or not, I keep changing my mind. :confused:

How many people have been attacked by bears in that area?

What are he chances someone will be attacked?

People love blood and gore. With the recent Griz attack some people just want to first to be the bearer of bear news.

If I had seen a bear, unless it was just around the corner I wouldn't alarm other hikers.

Dib,

I wouldn't dwell TOO much on the subject or needlessly worry about the topic, but.........

I've read quite a bit on the subject and in reality, bear-human interactions (where there is personal contact between the animal and you) fall into two catagories, Defensive (primarily grizzy) and preditory (primarily Black Bear). Given that we don't have grizzlies, we really need not worry about the chance encounter with a Black Bear. As you said, it will likely sense your presence long before you detect it and you'll not see or detect it's presence, aside from a LUCKY fleeting glance.

HOWEVER, if you were to run accross a bear that is acting in a -PREDITORY- manner towards you or anyone else, then you not only should tell anyone that you come accross, you probably need to report the contact to a forest ranger ASAP. A preditory black bear is a very serious threat to be dealt with by professionals. Preditory behavior is pretty RARE though, so DON"T WORRY.

Seeing a bear while hiking can generally be considered a VERY rare treat and wonderful opportunity to observe and feel the beauty and power of nature. I've been lucky enough to experience it and remember the distinct feeling of awe that I had. Unless the bear is giving you cause or reason to believe that it's looking to make a meal out of you, you have no reason or obligation to alert others to it's presence, other than to share the majestic and special wildlife moment with them.

Last edited:
If I'd seen a bear on the trail very recently, especially a sow with cub(s), and ran across a hiker with an unleashed dog, I think I give them the heads up to leash the dog for awhile. Otherwise probably not unless we struck up a conversation on another topic. The bear would probably be long gone from the trail by the time the next humans got there.

AdkDib,
When exactly did this occur?
I hiked McKenzie on tues. 06-28 and heard something big enough to be a bear thrashing around not far from the trail. I was 10 mins. past the ski trail-McKenzie junction on my way up McK. I let out a few shouts and never got a view of whatever it was.

If I saw a bear I would definitely share that with anybody I met on the trail if they were headed that way.

bears

i would definitly want to be told if there was a bear in the area!

Numerous times other hikers have alerted me to wildlife (usually something other than a bear) ahead on a trail, and I have done the same if I thought the wildlife would still be around. I always welcome the opportunity to view wildlife and figure others will welcome the opportunity as well. There is little danger that a black bear will attack humans in the Adirondacks. But there is a greater chance that a dog might annoy or chase wildlife, and possibly incur an injury in the process. So I would definitely tell a hiker with a dog about an unusual wildlife encounter. Since young children are prone to running ahead on a trail I would also alert a hiking group with children about a potential bear encounter. In most cases it is unlikely that a bear will hang around after the first encounter with humans. Of course there are exceptions to the norm.

Been there...

I would and did tell other hikers I saw a bear. I didn't "alarm" them. I said in a very calm voice "hey you might want to clap or wistle while you walk, I saw a bear just off of the trail not to far from here". They said thank you and where on their way. Wether or not they where "freaked out" the rest of the hike was no problem with me. I would have felt a lot worst if I found out that someone was mald because I didn't pass on some important info like a bear on the trail!

After reading the above (very good) responses, I figured maybe I ought to clarify, or at least reconsider, my above post. When I read it initially, I took the question to mean, “Do you think that you should WARN other hikers whenever you see a bear, or come across a bear while hiking?”. In that context, I still would say it DEPENDS, but I would certainly weigh a few more factors before dispensing "warnings". Giving a WARNING, and giving a “WOW, you’ll never guess what I just saw.” Are two separate things IMO. One implies caution, the other does not.

Circumstances – Like I said, it would depend what the bear was doing when I saw it. If the behavior struck me as odd or predatory, I would get the hell out of there and tell everyone I saw about it. But if it was just acting like a rumbling, bumbling ordinary bear, I probably would not.

Example -once practically walked into a bear as just above Indian Falls as I was walking up the trail to Marcy and it was coming down. We saw each other (from about 15-20’ and it just scampered off after about 2-3 seconds. I told my hiking group (including my kids) a few minutes later so as not to alarm them, but as I never felt threatened or scared, so I didn’t feel any need to “alarm” every hiker I saw over the next 8 hours of my encounter.

Time & distance – Using my situation above, had I run into anyone (other hikers) in the hour (or couple miles) after my sighting, I might be much more likely to mention it if we started chatting then I would if it were 4 hours outand I’m miles from where it happened.

Dogs – I guess I never really considered this one, mostly cause I rarely hike with dogs. But given the above responses, I guess it would be prudent to let hikers with dogs know as dogs may increase the chance of interaction. I’d give them a LARGER “warning area” than non-dog hikers, but again, after a point the sighting does become irrelevant as it pertains to "caution".

I think Mark’s post displays an attitude that is similar to mine.

I’m REAL cautious about the “alert any and all” school of thought. Maybe it’s wrong of me, but I would hate to “ruin” someone else’s hike by needlessly "WARNING" them that a bear has passed. There are lots of hikers that have an overly active fear of bears. My daughter sometime displays this fear and I remember recently while hiking, we came across some scat. Now, this poop was so fresh, it was still smoking. I’m willing to bet the bear that deposited it was still within shouting distance. I never said a word and we never saw, nor heard the animal in question... end of story. I could’ve gone the other way and given the ole’ “Wow, this crap is so fresh honey, that big bruin must still be nearby, SO stick close to daddy”.

Had I done that, that bear would have been stalking her around EVERY tree for the rest of that hike (and more), at least in her own mind. She would have been miserable, needlessly. My way, she went on blissfully unaware and had a wonderful hike.

Like everything else, use good judgement and common sense should prevail in this and you'll be fine.

I am in agreement with most here I think.

If I saw some serious wildlife (not a squirrel, chipmunk or deer) and then ran into another party within 5-10 minutes, I would mention that "if they were quiet, they might be able to see such and such" though, not as a warning but as a bonus.

As stated, Circumstances vary, and a warning might be needed based on the type of wildlife and it's activity, and whom you meet further up the trail.

When I see a bear I generally like to be quiet and watch it for a while. However, others disagree...

I was co-leading an AMC trip on the Thunderswamp trail a few years back and came across a black bear rollicking in the ferns about 50 yards from the trail.
When one of the fellows on the trip caught up with me (I stopped to watch it), I motioned him to be quiet and I whispered there's a bear right over there in the ferns. As soon as this fellow saw it he started screaming "Go away bear!!" at the top of his lungs and started clapping his hands. I was dumbfounded!!! Of course, the bear turned ran off a few yards, then stopped and stood up to see us, before dropping turning and running out of view.

I was pretty angry - I said through clenched teeth "why on earth did you do that?" His was a lame excuse that he didn't want the bear to attack anybody else as they hiked by.
All I could think was ...There oughta be a law...

I think it is prudent to offer the information about the presence of wildlife in a non-alarmist way (especially if children are present), Then it's up to the individual to make an informed decision of what to do next.

I agree that a sow with cubs will be ready to defend her family just as a human mom or dad might in the face of danger, perceived or real.

Good question to ponder, thanks....

....Jade

I would tell them but qualify your alert w your source and why, etc. Let them decide and act accordingly but at least, you have Alerted them to possible danger...IMHO

It’s not my nature to think about or analyze these things too much. My nature is to share information and news.

So, yes, I’d probably mention having seen a bear “back up (or down) the trail a bit” to someone coming the other way. I’d also likely mention having jumped out a deer, flushed a grouse, seen a moose, or been watched by an owl, or the delight of having met a dryad. It’s a way of “making conversation” and being sociable beyond the customary grunts and mutters we exchange as greetings.

Of course, if it seemed like the news I blurted out had caused a bit of concern (fear, maybe) for the other party, I’d hasten to reassure them that it’s safe to share the woods with such creatures. But we also might talk about taking certain precautions. A lot depends on the reaction.

G.

I'd share what the other hiker told me but I'd let bailey speak for herself. :)