Which one? TNF Tioga vs. Dunham Waffle Stomper Terrastryder Low

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmul508

Reaction score
I'm looking for a low, light in weight, day hiker, suitable for handling day hiking loads only, yet still supportive and durable enough for traversing strenuous terrain. I had narrowed it down to two shoes:
North Face Tioga
or
Dunham Waffle Stomper Terrastryder-Low

If any of you have experience with either of these two shoes, or would recommend another shoe that would meet the criteria I explained above, please reply. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Boot Suggestion

Since you are talking about lite loads but streneous terrain you may want a more durable boot then if you were day hiking on easy terrain. personally if the terrain is going to be more difficult you'll want a slightly stiffer boot with good support and some good durable soles and tread. now-a-days you should be able to get this and still have a lighter, comfortable boot. i'm familiar w/ the waffle stomper and the north face you selected also looks like a good boot but my only concern is if they are really the kind you want for more agressive hiking, they will def be comfortable but may not be agressive enough or hold up to the use you intend them for. granted i'm only going by what you say "strenous terrain". your feet may tire in these boots. i have a pair of lowa triolet approach shoes. these are semi-low so you still get some good ankle support, comfortable but yet stiff enough to handle the distance and variable terrain. they run for $175 but sierra trading has them on sale (women's anyway) for $40 now. i've worn mine quite a bit now and really like them altho i do like ankle high boots better. if you are going to be in rough terrain, maybe over skree up slides, lots of rocks etc and doing day hikes over 7-8 miles you may want to try something more agressive. the 2 you picked aren't bad this is just my opinion and i am the kind who likes thick soles and stiffer boots by nature anyway i don't want to feel the "earth move under my feet!"