Which topo software program is the best?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
Shamie bought me the DeLorme(sp) topo software for my birthday but then her father told her that he had it and didn't like it. She gave me the receipt so I can return it and get another program if I want and so I would like to know, which software program do people think is the best and why?

I will be using this for bushwacking and I do not have a GPS. I'm old school! So please help me to determine which program will best suit my needs. :)

Google Earth

Double Bow said:
Shamie bought me the DeLorme(sp) topo software for my birthday but then her father told her that he had it and didn't like it. She gave me the receipt so I can return it and get another program if I want and so I would like to know, which software program do people think is the best and why?

I will be using this for bushwacking and I do not have a GPS. I'm old school! So please help me to determine which program will best suit my needs. :)

Not exactly what you are looking for, but check out:

http://earth.google.com

Free!

Topo software

Question: Why have the PC software when you don't have the GPS unit?

I am sure software can be useful without a GPS, but the options to be gained by having one can be invaluable or at the very least quite helpful, especially if you bushwhack.

That being said, I have TOPO by National Geographic, North East series, which covers all of New England and more, and have the National Geographic National Park series.

I also have Garmin TOPO Mapsource, which you would only want IF you had the GPS.
I have seen and used DeLorme software and see that its similar to Garmin.

My review of both:

TOPO National Geographic:
PROS:
These use the actual scanned USGC survey maps with standard 100ft contour interval.
The scale is irrelevant, as you can plot maps to any size, and a scale bar/compass deviation graphic will automatically be generated to match.
The topographic details are excellent as you would expect from USGC maps.
Works great with GPS as you can plot waypoints and routes by terrain with decent results.
New 3D fly-over feature lets you see everything in cool virtual reality!
Great elevation profile feature.

CONS:
Information for roads & trails can be old, but what software map would be current, I know of none.
Must set GPS and map software preferences to older DATUM NAD27.
Not compatible with GPS graphics, such as waypoint markers, or certain names.

Garmin TOPO Mapsource:
PROS:
The Garmin GPS is keenly compatible to Garmin software.
Data is easily named and uploaded/downloaded to and from GPS unit to PC.
More detailed info can be examined on PC from downloaded tracks created in the field.
DATUM is more currently universal as WGS84.
Elevation profile feature.

CONS:
The PC maps are not detailed at all like the USGC maps.
All maps are computer generated and loose a ton of info by comparison.
Contour intervals are not standard and in some cases strange 60ft-80 ft something??
Secondary trails are nearly non-existent, the major ones are shown, but more than likely way off actual location.

Conclusion:
I use both packages for different reasons, but both are excellent platforms for GPS use.
The National Geo TOPO would better suit a non-GPS user for more compass related needs.

Important note, I use the PC maps together with actual issued maps and UTM coordinate measurements and tools to exactly locate waypoints both on the fly and at home trip planning.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

PS: Get a GPS, even if its a cheap one!

National Geographic TOPO! and Maptech Terrain Navigator both are fairly good. Both have an offering of New England maps in a single package. (NGT also includes NY and NJ). Both contain scanned images of USGS topos down to the 1:25K scale. Both can exchange waypoints, routes, and tracks (but not maps) with most GPSes.

NGT is carried by REI and EMS.

If you want to load maps into a mapping GPS, you will have to get the software and maps from the manufacturer of the GPS (eg Garmin Mapsource TOPO or Magellan MapSend Topo).

Brownie:
I find the maps to be useful without a GPS--I use them more often without than with. For instance, one can plan a trip and print out a map covering it.

Doug

Last edited:
We use Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro and like it. Although we do download and upload tracks/waypoints to our GPS - we also use it to print out detailed maps. It has a zoom feature when printing so you can explode specific sections of a hike if you want.

Brownie said:
Question: Why have the PC software when you don't have the GPS unit?

I want to be able to have topos of where I am going (or trying to go :eek:) with me as I hike and not just a list of bearings. This will also cut down on the clutter and cost of the USGS maps I've been buying but, I want something that will serve me just as well. I have used www.topozone.com in the past but, the resolution is pretty lousy.

When it comes to off trail navigation, I just like using the ol' map and compass. It's ultralight and retro-cool!! :D

Hey! I just noticed how appropriate my new signature is for this thread!!! :D

Anyone who wants to see a detailed section from Maptech Terrain Navigator PPro can email us and we can email back a screen shot - if you want a print out we can provide that in person or by mail if you send a SASE. Just let us know what trail secion.

I have ExpertGPS by TopoGrafix. It is about $60. They have a freeware version (EasyGPS, doesn't do much but send/recv waypoints from GPS's, no maps), and the regular version has a free 30-day trial period.

I have mixed thoughts. Nice features = it downloads topo maps from the internet, on the fly, + aerial photography. Panning is easy and quick, not quite as seamless as Google Maps (you're downloading more data so there's a slight wait). (I dropped into the DeLorme store a few days ago & tried out one of their programs, it was very clunky & you had to click up/down/left/right and wait for the screen to refresh.) Not as professional-looking as I've seen from TOPO or DeLorme's. The waypoint displays are a little clunky, you can't adjust the size of waypoint symbols or their lettering. (not that I can see yet)

Some of the reasons I bought it: (a) it can read/write Lowrance's proprietary .USR files so it makes transferring waypoints to my GPS real quick, (b) it can store waypoint files in a text (XML) format for automatic processing, (c) they appear to be responsive for bug-fixing/improvements. (and free software upgrades.)

Out of all the Topo programs if I had only one choice and no GPS. I'd go with NG Topo NE series. On the basis the maps are exact copy's of the USGS Maps and beautifully scanned. It withdraws and zooms fast,etc.

I have Maptech''s Terrain Navigator, DeLorme Topo 5.0 with satellite and aerial photography of alot of N.H.'s parks, Garmin's Topo as well.

The trails are old and not updated or not marked at all in these programs.

Along the ridge's and summit's are mostly o.k. But the trail leading from trail head to ridge,summit, have changed some here and there.

I'd get an AMC map to find changes if going on one.

Double Bow said:
I want to be able to have topos of where I am going (or trying to go :eek:) with me as I hike and not just a list of bearings. This will also cut down on the clutter and cost of the USGS maps I've been buying but, I want something that will serve me just as well. I have used www.topozone.com in the past but, the resolution is pretty lousy.

When it comes to off trail navigation, I just like using the ol' map and compass. It's ultralight and retro-cool!! :D

Hey! I just noticed how appropriate my new signature is for this thread!!! :D

Double Bow,
On the Topzone maps, did you actually purchase maps created by Topozone and subsequently through MyTopo.com?
Because I have had excellent luck with very detailed seamless maps purchased through Mytopo. The map details are the same USGC scanned quadrangle data which can be sized to a universal scale and then have additional UTM coordinate grids overlaid.
If you simply downloaded the graphic (like I often do for reference on PC only) then you can expect the plotted result to be quite blurry.

The National Geographic TOPO STATE products are excellent for your needs, but you will still need a decent printer or plotter to get the best quality plot. I have used my B&W laser jet and get a zoomed detail of what I need. It works, but quality is only as good as your printer.
BTW: National Geo also makes waterproof paper to plot your maps.

My last plug for GPS:
I can't express how much easier it is to use the UTM Tools along with GPS.

Here is some geeky :D :D in depth reading on Universal Transverse Mercator

In fact, the list of waypoints is nearly useless unless I also plot locations on hardcopy maps.
By using UTM grid tools, real maps and a GPS together, you can get anywhere you like, find out where you are, all faster than you can wing a compass around.
I have a Garmin 60CS which holds an incredible amount of detailed topo maps, but I still prefer to reference the hardcopy USGC, AMC or other reputable trail map makers product.
So, a less expensive GPS model will get you there and back if used as mentioned.
UTM coordinate system rules!
Here is a cool Lat/Lon to UTM conversion calculator

I know a compass is retro and cool, :cool: and I still use one as well, because batteries do die :eek:

Good luck!

Jeff

(QUOTE) The National Geographic TOPO STATE products are excellent for your needs, but you will still need a decent printer or plotter to get the best quality plot. I have used my B&W laser jet and get a zoomed detail of what I need. It works, but quality is only as good as your printer.
BTW: National Geo also makes waterproof paper to plot your maps. (UNQUOTE)

Jeff I use the cheapest printer from Wally World with photo paper and get great results with the NG NE series. I just stick it in a clear map holder. I throw the map out after the hike anyway alot because of changes found in the trail system's and wouldn't use that map when going back again.
Also some people I know spray the print out with clear laquer from HomeDepot to water proof it. :cool:

(QUOTE) My last plug for GPS:

In fact, the list of waypoints is nearly useless unless I also plot locations on hardcopy maps. (UNQUOTE)

I don't trust premade waypoint lists from software company's either. But I have taken most summit's off of NG with their waypoint tool and loaded in GPS to stay to give me instant bearings and distance from were ever I am and to put to rest which mountain in question we may see in the distance. That we like alot. :)

One feature I regard as a PRO for NG TOPO is the ability to link a photograph to a geographic coordinate and have that picture appear as an icon on the map you are viewing on the PC-- in effect a picture database keyed by geographic coordinates.

DB, I own NG Topo, Delorme Topo 4.0, and Garmin Map Source.

The Garmin product I use strictly for downloading maps to my Garmin GPS. Frankly, that's about all I use it for.

The Delorme 4.0 was the first mapping tool I bought. I would have to say that the maps they use are not as accurate as I would like, especially if you bushwack. It does have a very nice route making tool, that gives more options than any of the other 3 I have. The 3-D view is a neat tool, but it's more for fun than function.

NG Topo is the software I use the most. The maps are USGS maps, so I'm more comfortable with them. The best thing is that I can print one of them to take on a hike, instead of ruining my USGS maps. The printing option with NG lets you pick the exact area you want to print and the zoom you want to use.

If you ever get a GPS, all of them are good for loading or downloading routes to the computer. Plotting waypoints seems to be equally easy.

But do any of them have current trails drawn on the maps? I think that feature could be very useful.

AntlerPeak said:
But do any of them have current trails drawn on the maps? I think that feature could be very useful.
I can only speak for NG Topo! and you can't trust it for man-made structures and trails. The aerial photography used to create the maps is dated.

Double Bow,
For bushwhacking you'll love the Topo! software. Maybe the different programs all have the same standard features but its pretty cool when you click 2 different points on the map and get your compass bearing and distance instantly. You can print that bearing out right on the map. You can also draw a freehand route then get an elevation profile complete with percent grade for specific sections that you select.
I get the impression both from this thread and from what people I hike with use that NG Topo! is the standard.

CaptCaper, gps technology sure is addictive, aint it? I like that little Maptools.com overlay grid gizmo for going between paper map and gps. I have a basic gps model and I like to use the compass and paper map in conjunction with the gps when off-trail.

AntlerPeak said:

None really have current trails. Though DeLorme's have some updates but nothing great and I've found some that are missing totally.

Only AMC's maps in paper have good current trails. They don't have any software out. Maybe because they make their money off these paper maps.
You can scan AMC's map into some of these programs like TrackMaker and once set them proper, you can have current trails. I never bothered. I get by o.k. with what I do for what I do.

Any way I use the NGTopo and Mapsource Topo mostly now for my trip making and saving and transferring data. I use DeLorme 5.0 Topo with the 3D and arial and satellite for playing around. I don't really like the program other than that at this point.

Neil
Yes I don't leave home without it. If you've read any of my old posts you'll see how I've recorded every hike and stored them into PC for data collection and later uses with GPS.
. I've had some great expeirences with them on the both sea and land. Only one who's used one for a while can realize the beauty of them. But I do carry two compasses and paper maps as well.
Anyone want a nice clean Garmin track of NH's finest? Just let me know I'll email over.

Last edited:
CaptCaper said:
None really have current trails. Though DeLorme's have some updates buy nothing great and I've found some that are missing totally.

Only AMC's maps in paper have good current trails. They don't have any software out. Maybe because they make their money off these paper maps.
You can scan AMC's map into some of these programs like TrackMaker and once set them proper, you can have current trails. I never bothered. I get by o.k. with what I do for what I do.

Any way I use the NGTopo and Mapsource Topo mostly now for my trip making and saving and transferring data. I use DeLorme 5.0 Topo with the 3D and arial and satellite for playing around. I don't really like the program other than that at this point.

Neil
Yes I don't leave home without it. If you've read any of my old posts you'll see how I've recorded every hike and stored them into PC for data collection and later uses with GPS.
. I've had some great expeirences with them on the both sea and land. Only one who's used one for a while can realize the beauty of them. But I do carry two compasses and paper maps as well.
Anyone want a nice clean Garmin track of NH's finest? Just let me know I'll email over.

That's what I was afraid of too bad because it would be nice to have. I never know where I'll be hiking next and the tons of guides and trail maps can get costly.

AntlerPeak said:
USGS topos don't get updated very often. Add in the delay for scanning and distributing and the maps can easily be five to ten years old.

When I hike, I frequently carry both the AMC topo for the current trail info and a printout of a section of a digitized topo for the terrain. Sometimes, the old trail info on the old map is useful in the field (particularly in winter).

Doug