Who goes there? -- Track quiz

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
I thought it might be interesting to share images of tracks and put your knowledge to the test. Feel free to share any that you have. Here are two to start. Tell us which animal(s) made these tracks and why you think you know which one(s).

Swamp Thang 1
IMG_0177_01.JPG

Swamp Thang 2
IMG_0176_01.JPG

I would guess Beaver for #1...#2..????
Maybe #2 is a Beaver hind foot??--Trail drag marks?? too

Last edited:
I'll suggest raccoon for #1 and muskrat for #2.

Hmmm...I'm being swayed..possum?...don't racoons generally leave toenail marks..possum hind feet have an opposable thumb...

Hmmm, lot's of guesses, some better than others, but scant analysis so far. OK, time for some hints.

The photo of Swamp Thang 2 omits an easy scale reference in order to lull you into error. Look more closely at the two photos. Try to estimate the size of the track in #2, by comparing the apparent sizes of similar objects that you see in both images. Still stumped? Look very closely at the vegetative evidence for a size reference.

Still stumped? Then look at Recognizing Mammal Tracks and scroll down to "Are you by the water's edge?"

Last edited:
#1 racoon (top pront by key a hind print, bottom left front print, bottom right, not as clear bu a rear i think)

#2 i am thinking beaver, look right and with what looks like drag marks.

Last edited:
#1 racoon (top pront by key a hind print, bottom left front print, bottom right, not as clear bu a rear i think)

#2 i am thinking beaver, look right and with what looks like drag marks.

And we have a winner. Swamp Thang 1 ("racCoon" ;) ) is a dead give-away with that clear "hand" print. Swamp Thang 2 has a bigger foot than several of you apparently construed it to have, notwithstanding my prodding on the misleading scales of the two photos. The drag marks were the next clue that I would have focused your attention on -- kudos to brianW!