Who Has Trail Right-of-Way: Going up or Down??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
While hiking in the whites this past week I yielded the trail to several hikers going up hill and told them to go ahead ... since they were going up hill they had right of way.

However they relayed back to me that whoever was going downhill has right of way.

So which is it? and why? in your opinion.

When going uphill, I am always glad to yield the right of way if only for a short breather. When going downhill, I usually slow down, prepared to stop if I see the other party not stopping, if they stop, I say thanks and have a nice trip, unless they indicate they want to talk for a moment. I never considered there was any rule other than common courtesy.

dr wu and spongebob and i had this same discussion this weekend.

i used to think it was the people going down that had to stop to let the hikers continue up. but someone had told me that it's the people going up that are to stop. this is because the momentum is carrying the people down the hill, and it's tougher to stop. (that sounds like rambled sentences--sorry). anyway, this past weekend we decided it was a variety of factors that could determine it. like, how many people were in each group, etc.

blacklab2020 said:
While hiking in the whites this past week I yielded the trail to several hikers going up hill and told them to go ahead ... since they were going up hill they had right of way.

However they relayed back to me that whoever was going downhill has right of way.

So which is it? and why? in your opinion.

I think the downhill rule is when skiing.

I yeild to anyone who looks like they need it. I yeild to older hikers because they are older, and I yeild to younger hikers because they're younger. I yeild to groups, because it's easier for one to yeild than a group.

Very often uphillers yeild to me saying that I've given them an excuse to rest.

Sometimes if I'm running, people yeild to me.. or should I say jump out of my way.... even though I'm prepared to stop and yeild to them.

I think hiking is such a relaxed pastime, that there shouldn't be any rules about yeilding.

right of way

First off, I need to commend you, Pete Hickey, for your choice of a new implement which does not require gasoline! Kudos Pete Hickey! You are truly setting a fine example. :cool:

I had always thought that the right of way was given to those travelling uphill, because they were huffing and puffing and exerting more energy. Interesting comments on velocity and the whole downhill stopping thing. Hmmm...

I am always happy to yeild since I always can use a breather.

I would say the up hill folks shoud yeild cause they are generally traveling slower anyway and as someone mentioned, the downies are having a tough enough time negotiating the trail let alone having to stop mid scramble.

Let em go... let em go, I have no where else to go and nothing else to do.

I think Pete Hickey should stand on the trail w/ the ax directing traffic. :D
Seriously, I believe I've read that one should yield to the uphill folks, but I agree that simply courtesy should suffice most of the time. Probably a bigger issue is right-of-way on multi-use trails. I certainly have no problem yielding for skiers, snowmobiles, or horses!

Matt

There is no general rule for right-of-way on hiking trails related to going uphill or down. While I've seen various "rules" posted in magazines, books, and online, I've never seen a group of more than one hiker agree in all cases. This leads me to believe that common sense, courtesy, and those of us who look for a chance to rest at any excuse will suffice to handle any situation that arises.

The only exception that I believe has a real and concrete purpose is that smaller groups should step aside for larger groups where possible. The larger groups will cause more damage to the trailside vegatation if forced to all step off the trail, smaller groups will have a smaller impact.

Otherwise, do whatever feels right.

BTW, search this site, this discussion comes up roughly every 4 months. There are some amusing discussions in the older threads.

-dave-

One rule that is concrete...hikers are suppose to yield to pack animals. Not a big problem here in the east, although there are some riding trails in the Blue Hills.

peace

I agree that it depends on the situation,although I have had hikers yield to me going up and down.I have found that when they yield to me going down it makes it easier on me rather than vice versa

I agree with Dave on large vs. small groups.

I always believe that hikers going uphill should yield to hikers going downhill. The reason is that when hiking downhill, you are generally more off balance than going up hill so you are better off if you keep moving down than if you try to move out of the way. Generally, this only applies to steep, slabby rock, or icy sections but it is a good practive to get in the habit of. Ever notice that it is easier to go up icy or wet slippery rocks than to go down them? That is why I give hikers coming down the right of way. Let them choose where they want to go. Besides, ever notice that most accidents happen on the way down a mountain?

Now if two mountain bikers meet in the woods, the one going uphill has the right of way. On steep sections, it can be very hard to start up from a full stop. So every effort should be made to allow a mtn biker to continue churning uphill. Of course, mountain bikers should always yield to hikers and horses. I always come to a dead stop or a crawl when passing hikers and always come to a dead stop and ask a person on horseback for permission to pass in either direction. You really don't want to spook a horse.

Now what bugs me is when you are hiking twice as fast as a large group of hikers in front of you and they do not step aside to let you go by... :(

- darren

The "rule" I've heard is that uphill gets the right of way BUT I yield ALL the time because I am usually going slow enough that stopping is not difficult for me so I agree with Pete Hickey 100% with the slight exception that I am never running down the trail but IF I was, I'd still agree with Pete . . .

:D

I had a guy coming up the trail as I was descending from Camp Muir who comended my yielding to the uphill hiker and thanked me . . .

sli74

No real hard rules for hiking. Whatever feels right.

For skiing downhiller has the right of way. Mountain Biking uphillers get it since it since it is hard to restart.

-Shayne

Pete_Hickey said:
I think the downhill rule is when skiing.

I yeild to anyone who looks like they need it. I yeild to older hikers because they are older, and I yeild to younger hikers because they're younger. I yeild to groups, because it's easier for one to yeild than a group.

Very often uphillers yeild to me saying that I've given them an excuse to rest.

Sometimes if I'm running, people yeild to me.. or should I say jump out of my way.... even though I'm prepared to stop and yeild to them.

I think hiking is such a relaxed pastime, that there shouldn't be any rules about yeilding.

Skiing: as I understand it, the person downhill from you has the right of way, ie, it is your responsibility (and liability) to not run into someone skiing downhill from you.

As far as hiking, I think PH and DM have said it all. :)

Last edited:
I follow my rule:

Always yield. If the oncoming person/group insists that I go ahead, I do so graciously. If not, I smile and say hello as they go by. Unless they're French Canadians. In that case I say "bonjour" or "salût!" :D

Those going downhill are obeying the law and you must yield to the law. The law of gravity. :D

I always stop for people coming downhill. I need the rest anyway.

Keith

I ALWAYS yield to whoever is carrying an axe :D , after that, I personally yield to the situation (whether going up or down). I do feel that the person descending should have the right of way, only because they are typically in less control, but all situations are different, so I now plan on yeilding regardless... :)

I actually asked that same question while hiking the Old Bridle Path and
Franconia Ridge this past Sat. I too, thought it was the people coming down the trail that should have the right away, due to the steepness in some trails, it make's more sense. But I do think that you need to consider the size of the group and the age of the hikers.
It was brought to my attention that when there is a larger group of hikers they should be allowed to pass first. The smaller group has somewhat of a lesser impact on the surrounding flora and sometimes when there is a larger group they tend to get off trail, and not realizing it, trample some fragile plant life. I enncountered many large groups of hikers this past weekend, sometimes 10 or more in a group, it made more sense for them to pass first, rather than having them struggle to get out of the way to let a couple of hikers pass. Something to think about.