Who stuffs their tent fly?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
I read somewhere recently that you should stuff your tent fly as opposed to folding and rolling. The point was folding and rolling will lead to creases and eventual cracks in the coating whereas stuffing creates random crinkles every time, and adds longevity.

Anybody out there have any opinions on this?

I was stuffing it on my last trip and it seemed to work great as far as not sticking at all and being easier to set up.

I've always stuffed everything. Tent, fly, sleeping bag, hammock, clothes, food, etc. Always heard the same as you, folding creates creases, besides, stuffings a hell of a lot faster and easier.

Put me in the "stuffer" column.

As Quietman says, it's a quicker and easier way to pack. And if it prevents creases that might damage fabric or coatings, so much the better.

G.

Doc McPeak said:
I read somewhere recently that you should stuff your tent fly as opposed to folding and rolling. The point was folding and rolling will lead to creases and eventual cracks in the coating whereas stuffing creates random crinkles every time, and adds longevity.

Ask yourself this.. How many people are anal enough to fold their fly accurately enough that the same crease would appear each time? In my mind, that's armchair logic coming out with those 'words of wisdom'

OTOH, I stuff because it's faster.

So, you guys stuff your flies eh? Hmmm.

Since the fly is the last thing to go into the bag, it usually gets stuffed since anything that is folded just won't fit. I will cram it into all the nooks and crannies I can find.

JohnL

I follow the mfr.'s recommedations (fold in thirds then roll for SD tent products). At least that's what I say if and when I go to return something. There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to my homemade tarp tho....

I'm a fold into thirds and roll person. I've had my Sierra Clip flashlight for 8+ years and have been "folding" this way. The tent has been in several torrential downpours recently without a leak.

Same as daxs, the clip flashlight gets folded and rolled, no matter where I am. The halves of the fly tend to stick together, I think because of the seam sealer I use. But it peels apart like a fruit roll-up. Now I'm wondering if stuffing would eliminate that.

Great Thread.

For whatever reason I never considered stuffing my tent, I've always rolled it. Maybe because growing up I had cheap tents with heavy canvas floors that would be a pain to stuff.

Stuffed my tent last weekend and it was so much easier. Plus it allows me to compress it more and keep the poles elsewhere.

S.

I fold and roll. I'm usually limited on space, so I developed the habit of getting the tent back in the bag as compactly as possible. Never had a problem with creases. I've used the same tent for the last 5 years, and it's seen a lot of use.

I fold it, roll it, then stuff it. This is a habit from packing a sea bag and I find it saves space. Never had a problem with creases since I let it all hang loose when I get home.