wife washed my gor-tex pants, good or bad?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
"If it's on the floor it's getting washed!", that's what i heard this morning.

What's the deal with cleaning them?

They weren't dirty because i wore them on winter hikes and if i fell (plenty) i landed on the snow and a few rocks or sticks.

She told me she only washed them once, typical liquid cleaner and fabric softener. Thx and i'm sure I'll get a few jokes on this one, that's ok!

According to the label, gore-tex can be machine washed in warm water, tumble dried on low. However it does say no bleach or fabric softener.
I guess your just going to have to tell your wife that you now need to go on a long backcountry hike to make sure they're still waterproof. If not they sell products that you spray on gore-tex items to revive its waterproofness. I've yet to use them though. Tim

My goretex garments have been washed many times and dried in the dryer over the years with no problems. At the end of winter I use the Nikwax products to retreat them.

Not too bad I wouldn't think

The pants should still be waterproof, now breathable that's another story... Regular detergent shouldn't be used on membrane fabrics because it tends to "clog the pores". I would think that fabric softener is even more likely to do that. I would just keep wearing them and when it seems like a good time to wash them again use some more appropriate detergent. Drying is actually good for some exterior treatments that repell water. If you have a DWR type finish on a garment, that makes the water bead up like it does on the hood of a freashly waxed car. To reactivate those properties you can throw it in the dryer for a little while and thw water will again bead up.

The oils in liquid detergent will clog the pores and will effect breathability. You should only wash gore-tex with powdered detergent.

- darren

2 things i've learned today, never show my wife the comments on the board especially from Bruno (sorry Bruno but i thought it was funny) and don't buy jewelry unless she's there (20 years married and i still got lousy taste)now she tells me she doesn't remember washing them because i ripped them on the gathering trip..gotta be careful she's on the orange alert as per the hormone chart she showed me..consider this thread ended!...(thx for help anyway :) )

You can still recover your goretex!

While working at EMS I learned that by soaking your goretex in water for a day or two, (refreshing water as needed) you will unclog the pors of the detergents. Hence, your goretex will once again be breathable and once again water repellent so far as you treat pants once dry with nykwax. :D

In addition to the other suggesstions (except the death knell one) I read you shouldn't dry gtx in a dryer that was used with dryer sheets unless you wipe down the inside first to remove the residue.

I did do that dwr refresh in the dryer without wiping it down first and it worked -- it was Helly-tech.

I really can't really imagine myself cleaning a dryer.

Oh, thank her for all her efforts and say "Hey!, I found out something that may make the gore tex better. Not that there is anything wrong with it."

Is the fabric permanently ruined, or will repeated washings eventually take care of it?

Fabric softeners and most liquid detergents destroy the DWR (via emulsifiers). Wash all you want ... but nothing short of a new coating will bring back the DWR. I believe SherpaJ is correct in that NIKWAX is the recommended agent for re-treating Gore-Tex outerwear. ;)

I should do something quick before the weekend because I'm going out with the scouts, the pants did feel damp yesterday, I think she did wash them :eek: . It's supposed to rain tomorrow maybe i'll wear them and see what happens. What should happen? The water should soak through, right? Guess i gotta go to EMS tomorrow to buy some of that stuff SherpJ said, opps honey, look what came with my spray! Of course it was on sale, it's your valentine gift to me! :)

wash again...

wash them again... cool or warm water (not hot) with Powdered detergent (not liquid) ... rinse cycle twice then air dry or tumble dry on low or no heat. That should "clean" the fabric softener out. Don't know why you you would have to "retreat" them ... I believe the waterproofness/breatheability is a function of the microfilm layer ... I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Capt Jim :)

Researched

Straight from the EMS Product Book,

**Microporous Laminates - Microporous Laminates are very thin membranes that can be laminated to any type of fabirc. The first and still most commonly known is Gore-tex. Gore-tex is really teflon (or for all you tech weenies out there, its polytetraflourethylene, PTFE for short) which has been stretched out into a very fine, pourous membrane. The pores in the PTFE are too small for water molecules to pass through, but large enough for vapors to escape. In Effect, it acts very comparably to your skin! (Gore-tex is even usd in the medical industry to patch hearts after surgery!) When gore-tex is laminated to a breathable fabric, the garment becomes waterproof, and the outside is almost always finished with something to help keep the fabric dry.**

Now this from the Gore-tex website:

**Gore shell fabrics are treated with an ultra-thin treatment called DWR, a durable water repellent polymer applied to the outermost fabric layer. This treatment penetrates the fibers and lowers the surface tension of the fabric, causing water to bead up and roll off the outer layer of fabric, instead of being absorbed.

Water-repellent outer fabric provides additional insulation and prevents liquid from saturating your garment's outer fabric, a condition known as 'wet out' that can make you feel damp and clammy. Your garment may even feel like it's leaking, although it's not.

Regular wear and tear, plus exposure to dirt, detergents, insect repellant, and other impurities, causes DWR failure. DWR is not permanent on any fabric. Its effective life depends upon how you care for your garment and how rigorously it is used. The most effective way to maintain your Gore garment's water and stain repellency is to wash it, rinse it, and put it in your dryer. The washing removes contaminants and the heat from the dryer helps redistribute the DWR treatment on the fabric surface.

If water fails to bead up on the surface of your cleaned and tumble-dried garment, its DWR treatment has reached the end of its useful life. But don't worry: You can restore a Gore garment's durable water repellency by using a topical DWR revival treatment for outdoor fabrics, available at most outdoor retail shops. (Note: We do not recommend wash-in treatments.)**

Hence... NIKWAX
Taking care of Gore-Tex outerwear is easy! Just:
Machine wash in warm water with powdered detergent.

Tumble dry on medium heat.

NOTE: W.L. Gore and Associates, Inc. does not recommend the use of liquid soaps or special "waterproof/breathable" soaps when washing Gore-Tex outerwear.
For More Help
If you have additional questions about washing or maintaining any Gore-Tex® product, just call Gore Customer Service at 1-800-431-GORE.

Sherpa John :eek:

I've heard the "if it's on the floor it gets washed thing before", kinda frustrating. My wife doesn't dare wash any of my hiking gear since she shrunk my wool peruvian toque.

-Shayne

I would imagine you could tell of the DWR is still there simply by putting some water on it and seeing it it beads up and runs off or not. It was my understanding that fabric softener and some detergents take the DWR coating right off, not that it clogs the micro-pores. But hey whada i know? :D

Gris said:
I would imagine you could tell of the DWR is still there simply by putting some water on it and seeing it it beads up and runs off or not. It was my understanding that fabric softener and some detergents take the DWR coating right off, not that it clogs the micro-pores. But hey whada i know? :D
Water beading on the surface is due to the DWR coating. The fabric could still leak at a place like under a pack shoulder strap. The water-proofness/breathability is due to the PTFE membrane. It is my understanding that fabric softener contains oils that clog the pores in the PTFE membrane which destroys the breathability of the fabric.

Doug

Agree to maybe ... disagree. A while back i tried washing a SD tent fly to resolve a minor mildew issue. I put powder dtergent and some fabric softener in the wash (don't ask me why) - mistake. Drip, drip, drip next time out. I contacted SD and they told me some detergents - and particularly fabric softener - removes the DWR. However, i guess fabric softener could also clog micro-pores. And my opinion is based on one rep's hearsay anyway. Just my $0.02. :eek:

Gris said:
Agree to maybe ... disagree. A while back i tried washing a SD tent fly to resolve a minor mildew issue. I put powder dtergent and some fabric softener in the wash (don't ask me why) - mistake. Drip, drip, drip next time out. I contacted SD and they told me some detergents - and particularly fabric softener - removes the DWR. However, i guess fabric softener could also clog micro-pores. And my opinion is based on one rep's hearsay anyway. Just my $0.02. :eek:

Different situation. The topic was Gortex. Your tent fly is most likely coated nylon or polyester--never intended to be breathable.

Don't know what fabric softener does to the DWR, but unlike the PTFE membrane, it is replaceable.

BTW, I have heard the fabric softener is death to down--the oils clog the down puffs. Not going to test it myself...

Doug