Winter Camping in the Berkshires

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapyHkngSmile

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good places to go camping in the Berkshires? In the winter? I am looking to do a couple of days in the 2nd week of January. I've been to bash bish but that's about it - would prefer car camping or somewhere where I would only have a bit to hike in...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/gre...n/links/recreation/hiking/groutpondtrails.htm
This is not in the Berkshires but it's a great place to winter camp in So VT. Access off RT 1OO on the Arlington Westwardsboro Rd (also known as Kelly Stand Rd).
You have to leave your vehicle at the parking lot and hike in (flat) to Grout pond. On the pond loop there are some nice lean to's. You would have access to the AT going up Stratton Mountain and Stratton pond trail as well from Kelly Stand Rd near the parking lot.
Kelly Stand is closed to vehicles from about the parking lot all the way to the end going towards Arlington. Nice place to showshoe and ski.
I have been there midweek(winter) and saw not a soul except the ranger. Manchester district covers that area if you have any questions for him. The have always been helpful.
I think you could also set up your camp on the closed section of Kelly stand because people wilderness camp all summer along the river.
I believe Savoy State park in MA allows winter camping as well and that in not far from the "Berkshires". They have some cabins there.

I believe that Mass DNR has a campground open all winter (October Mtn?), try their website

Here are some possibilities.

There is also a walk-in campsite located about 1/2 mile from the Hopper trailhead along the Money Brook trail in the Mt. Greylock reservation, complete with an outhouse. It's not shown on their maps or listed in any of the websites. You could call the visitor center to find out if you can camp there in winter.