winter dog jacket?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. We tried fitting Bookah to an old fleece vest and the front leg-neck connection didn't seen to be working. And I checked all of the great recommendations online.
Since we're out in the cold tomorrow on peak, stopped by in Petco this morning and tried this jacket on Bookah in the store:
http://www.myoutwardhound.com/oh05346.html

It's designed as a dog's life vest, with ripstop nylon and a thin layer of foam insulation under the top half of the jacket. There is a belly band secured with velcro and then fastex buckles, and a neck/chest piece secured with velcro and a strap. At $29 it was too inexpensive to pass up.
Because it folds out flat, we can also use it as a pattern to tailor a fleece jacket with its outline.
I suspect the jacket will be too warm on mild days, but hoping it works out well for cold, snowy ones.

Alan

Just stopping by with field tests results on the Lycra Bodysuit made by K9 Topcoat.

If your dog needs full body ice and snowball protection, this is the way to go. The legs tuck right into booties. Duct taping the tops of the boots to the suit to prevent any snow from getting in is highly recommended.

Happy trails!

Thanks everyone. We tried fitting Bookah to an old fleece vest and the front leg-neck connection didn't seen to be working. And I checked all of the great recommendations online.
Since we're out in the cold tomorrow on peak, stopped by in Petco this morning and tried this jacket on Bookah in the store:
http://www.myoutwardhound.com/oh05346.html

It's designed as a dog's life vest, with ripstop nylon and a thin layer of foam insulation under the top half of the jacket. There is a belly band secured with velcro and then fastex buckles, and a neck/chest piece secured with velcro and a strap. At $29 it was too inexpensive to pass up.
Because it folds out flat, we can also use it as a pattern to tailor a fleece jacket with its outline.
I suspect the jacket will be too warm on mild days, but hoping it works out well for cold, snowy ones.

Alan

I have one of those for Lauky too. I don't use it much because I don't have a boat, but keep in in the trunk as we occasionally are invited out on a lake. It occurred to me that on a really nasty day I could put it on him over his other jacket and he would really be protected. Although, he might feel a little bit like the little brother in the Christmas Story movie. :D

Sabrina,
You do a lot of off trail hiking. The lycra holds up well?

Ed, Bookah seldomly gets cold but approaching 6 1/2 I've noticed her a little chilled during stop and go hiking on very cold days. Hoping this keeps her warm.

Thanks

Sabrina,
You do a lot of off trail hiking. The lycra holds up well?

Ed, Bookah seldomly gets cold but approaching 6 1/2 I've noticed her a little chilled during stop and go hiking on very cold days. Hoping this keeps her warm.

Thanks

Have only used it once on a 18 miler that included alot of trailbreaking. Size 6. So far so good. I wouldn't bushwack her in it. its the same type of construction as lycra running pants.

Sabrina,

Even on trail hikes, she spends about 2/3's of the time ranging thru the woods nearby, usually jumping over and crawling under trees and thru bushes.
The lycra sounds great but I'm thinking she'd destroy it.
And on many of the Catskill trailless summits there are the pricker thorns that are real shredders.

Sabrina,

Even on trail hikes, she spends about 2/3's of the time ranging thru the woods nearby, usually jumping over and crawling under trees and thru bushes.
The lycra sounds great but I'm thinking she'd destroy it.
And on many of the Catskill trailless summits there are the pricker thorns that are real shredders.

Even in winter? Terra spends 99% of her time in the snowshoe track or following trailbreakers.

Geneva sounds like Bookah. She is off trail and does 3xs the distance I do from running ahead and back, counting all the people on the trail and making sure we are all there. Last weekend she was breaking trail in front of me! and on occasion I saw her off trail 'swimming' in the snow, completely under the snow at times! I am begining to think in addition to all the other creatures she reminds me of that she may have a little river otter in her DNA too! :confused:

Her natural fur coat is built for snow. She rarely gets cold, but a few times she has seemed to get chilled out there, and obviously on overnights she does.

I made her a Primaloft blaze orange jacket for hunting season, more of a vest really, and more for safety than warmth. I made her another one that has an Epic nylon shell and Primaloft lining for winter, it is pretty rugged but doesn't cover her legs or her chest/belly. I have made her a few fleece jackets that cover some of her front legs and her chest, but she doesn't enjoy them very much. :rolleyes:

Fortunately she doesn't have the snow balling up on her fur issue that some breeds do. And I haven't bothered to make her booties yet, because she has never had snow balling on her paws, and she never seems to chew at them.

I did make her a sleeping bag, but she still prefers to climb into mine...:rolleyes:

maybe I will make her a Powershield suit next, that covers her chest and legs and see if she likes it. She may only like it as jammies on the winter overnights though. ;)

Geneva is my dog, I've never met Bookah.
I have a mummy bag, and she is about 35#s.
I made another bag that zips onto mine for her, haven't tested it out in the wild yet, but I think it will work okay.
I think she gets scared of all the little beasties in the woods that could hurt her, so she wants to know they have to go through me first!

:)

Oops, guess I got my doggie names mixed up. :confused: I've never tried an overnight with Lauky, but have given it some thought. Your comments about the sleeping bag addressed some questions I had about keeping him warm and being able to sleep etc.