Winter Hiking Gear Newbie Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
I posted this over on the AMC board as well, but am hoping for all the info I can get...

I am interested in getting started with winter hiking next fall. I had wanted to this year, but was put off by the price in the short term. With some saving and also promised offseason deals, there are a few things I am looking at buying. I would appreciate any feedback, additional things I should consider, etc.

Boots - Does it make more sense to get plastic boots or some type of super warm cold weather boot. From what I have read, it seems many of the leather boots dont take to crampons very well. Can this be addressed by buying a specific type of crampon? If plastic boots are the best idea, what would people suggest for brands to look at or features to look for for them?

Crampons - Any thoughts on these? I need to do some reading on them as I have never used them before. Are there specific brands, models, or features I should look for?

Snowshoes - Pretty similar questions to the above. Does anyone use wooden snowshoes for hiking in the Whites? I have a friend that can make me a pretty sturdy pair of Ojibuae (spelling?) style snowshoes for pretty cheap. I have also looked at the various ones for sales on Campmor, REI and EMS. Are there specific features needed for hiking in the whites in winter? Can one get away with a recreational pair or are a true mountain/hiking pair needed?

I would appreciate any advice. I have looked around on the net and compared so prices and read some reviews. However, given the knowledge base on this board, I am hoping I can avoid making some rookie mistakes in my purchases.

Thanks,
Dundare

So much depends on what kind of hiking you plan on doing. As far as plastic boots go, I've hiked without them for about 35 years. There have been a few times when I wished I had some. I would say generally that they are overkill for day hiking in the NE, but great for multi-day trips (nothing worse than putting frozen boots on in the a.m.), or extreme cold temps. One reason that I can get by without them is the fact that I will cancel a trip if the forecast is for temps colder than about -10°F. Even then, there are a lot of people who hike in Sorels or similar pac boots with no problems.
Choice of crampons is really dictated by the choice of boots. For plastic boots a rigid crampon is best. If you go with a boot that flexes you'll want to have a semi-rigid or flexible crampon. Lots of good ones out there, but IMHO you can't go wrong with Grivel.
I'm sure you'll get all kinds of differing opinions about snowshoes. I like the MSR's - light, agressive crampon, rails that prevent sideslipping, and priced right.

Snowshoes - wooden ones are for flat walking or hanging on your wall. That's what I first bought long ago and tried to go uphill and promptly slid into a stream. The more aggressive (i.e., more expensive) the crampon under the shoe, the better it is for steep ascent and descent. I have Atlas 1025's and Tubbs Altitudes 22's and my sense is that most of the popular ones are good. The MSR's, especially the high end ones, are getting very good press, are less expensive, and won't limit you in your choice of where to go.

Some snowshoes kick up their tails as you walk and spray your backside with snow with every step. I don't care for that, but a hiking friend has Redfeathers that do and she loves them.

This is a good time to look for bargains, half-price isn't uncommon.

I don't have plastic boots. I'd get them except I keep hearing how they chew up your feet, so fit is crucial. I love the concept, since my ski boots are plastic, warm, dry, and blister-free. They are overkill for much of what I do, but I sure wished I'd had them during some recent wet spring and fall hikes when leather and Goretex were useless.

As oldsmores said it really depends on where and what you are hiking BUT I have been VERY happy with my Montrail Morraines and will be starting to use my new Degres for overnighters. BUt boots are such a personal choice because it really depends on your feet.

As far as crampons, most folks seem to have Grivel 10s but I have the Grivel 12s and LOVE them. I only trip every once in a while and that is mostly because I am a klutz (Though not as much as some I know).

I used to wear the Atlas 1022 snowshoes and loved them until I got a pair of MSR DEnali Ascents, they are lightweight, have aggressive crampons and are the bomb.

Well, those are just what I use and like, I went through many rookie mistakes and continue to do so as I learn what works best for me but in general the above pieces of gear have proven very useful. Good Luck and welcome to the addictive world of winter hiking.

sli74

Two words: Shop ebay

In addition to the deals to be had in the 1/2 price departments at the end of the season, wander around ebay a bit to see what you can find. I have been burned only once in two years, but quickly got a refund. Plenty of nice stuff for sale out there.

Good luck.

-David

As others have said, I wouldn't spend the money on plastic boots unless you plan to camp. I have plastic boots and prefer to use my Lowa's (goretex) for winter day hikes. They are very light (about 1/2 the weight of my Koflachs) and my feet have never been cold. On the other hand, I like the crampon fit on my plastic boots rather than my Lowas. I use Grivel G10's because of flex and found that they aren't that comfortable with my Lowas. I have rigid crampons for my Koflachs and they are awesome. Bottom line, if you have summer waterproof boots, try them first before spending a lot on winter boots.
As far as the snowshoes / crampons go, I prefer MSR denali's also. Depending on the hike, you may not need to buy crampons just yet if you use the Denalis. They have amazing traction and are very light. Some folks have had probs with durability but I haven't experienced that one yet. Also, in April, EMS generally has a club day and you can get 20% off. Good Luck and hike conservatively!

Dundare

The only bit of advice I would add here is to think "multi use".

Given the price of winter gear, I always advise people to make sure they buy gear that they can use across several different activities and that the gear will allow them to grow into future winter recreational pursuits.

If at all possible you also want to buy gear that will allow you some use in the other seasons as well - but for the most part this is impossible (clothing being the big exception)

As an example, the first pair of crampons I bought were a simple pair of strap ons with no front points. Spent a little over a hundred dollars on them. I figured I would only be doing day and weekend winter hikes on normal terrain.... well, as tends to happen, I adventured into other areas and a few years later I found myself ice climbing in the Adirondacks and I had to buy a new pair of crampons with front points. Spent another 170 dollars on a great pair of Grivels. Point is I could have 'just' bought the Grivels to begin with and saved some money.

Same can be said of boots - where, unless I am considering some very cold overnighters and expedition type adventures, I prefer a nice leather mountaineering boot that is snap in crampon compatible (like the Asolo Summit and the La Sportiva models). That way I can use them for winter acsents one day and ice climbing the next. For basic winter activities like snow shoeing and quick day trips I use my Gore-Tex summer boots.

You definitely do not want to spend 200 dollars on a boot or other piece of equipment and then find out a year later you cant use it for some new activity you want to try. So keep that in mind.

I second the montrail moraines, they are the best non plastic mountaineering boots I have ever owned, and they have never failed to keep my feet nice and toasty. As far as snowshoes go, I use tubbs aventure which seem to work pretty well and the price was right. For crampons I now use grivel g12's with newmatic bindings, I used to use the g10's but they only went to size 12 and my moraines are size 13, all of my other boots are size 12.

Winter gear

First thing, buy top quality everything. You will not regret it. I have both plastics and leather boots. I always wore my leathers in winter and stored my boots in a plastic bag at the bottom of my sleeping bag to prevent freezing. It never failed me. They're light and very comfortable. A friend I know who has climbed 4 of the 7 summits switched to this technique and swears by it as well.
He saved his plastics for the really big ones.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far.

A couple more questions.

On the MSR Denali series - a quick look around the net on the ascents shows they are one size fits all. Do they provide enough float for a larger person? I generally clock in somewhere between 210-225 depending on the season and the year.

On leather boots, I currently use a pair of LL Bean Knife Edge Trail Boots. I have used them for 3 season dayhikes the last few years and they are comfortable, goretex lined, and in limited cold and snow (tailgating at Patriots the past couple winters) they have kept my feet warm enough even when not moving around too much. Does it make sense trying to use these during the winter if I am going to stay with a leather boot or buy a winter leather boot etc etc.

The MSR snowshoes fit a wide range of boots - I wear size 12 and haven't come close to maxing out the bindings.

You can also get floatation tails for them if you and your gear are too much for the regular size MSRs - the tails are not ideal, but they do support more weight. I've used mine without them and been fine in most conditions (190 lbs including clothing and full pack), adding the tails only in deep, fresh powder.

I was out snowshoeing in Yosemite two weekends ago with a group that included two people on traditional wooden snowshoes - they were miserable. They had a particularly hard time on slopes and frozen, crusty snow. I wouldn't use those for snowshoeing in the mountains at any price (the rest of us with MSRs and other more modern designs were a lot happier).

I own MSR Evo Denali Ascent and Northern Lites Backcountry snowshoes, and love them both; the MSRs are better in crusty and icy conditions, the NLs in powder. I used the MSRs on Santanoni and Panther back in December and they were great for that.

If you're happy with your LLBean boots in cold conditions (as you described) I think you'd be fine to start with those. They'll work with the snowshoes, and you can always upgrade later if you find yourself getting out in colder conditions.

- Steve

Last edited:
Definitely try the Bean boots before buying anything. You may want to make sure you use nikwax or something to keep the water out of the leather.

It makes sense to follow Jasonst's advice and audition your summer boots. Your
circulation and the impact of snowshoe and crampon straps are among the things
you should be aware of.
My circulation could be better. Previous to this year I tolerated cold toes on winter
hikes with my three season boots. Snowshoe and crampon straps seriously
aggravated the problem. I would even have cold toes in sorrels in 30 degree
weather.

I have wide feet and high arches. Fitting any kind of shoe seems a frustrating
exercise of futility. There was no way that I would consider those harsh plastic
boots, that is until this year. I rented the wide (heavy) Koflack Expes and was
stunned to find them comfortable. My feet was isolated from strap pressure and
stayed warm. Thankfully I have not had to bare boot to date but just love using them
in snowshoes.

The MSR ascents are light (offsetting the weight of the boots), they allowed me to
keep my full crampons at home so far this winter and they have survived many miles
under a 50 lb day pack and many spruce traps. They are very noisy on packed
trails and I know three people who have had theirs fail after two years of rugged use.
Go to places that rent out a variety of snowshoes. You will discover which you like.
Good luck.

I've only had a half-day experience on the MSR's this past winter during Winter Trail's Demo Day, but I wanted to address the floatation issue. If you're planning on any bushwacking, and have a combined body/gear weight of more than 210, I'd go with a different shoe. These shoes have the best traction of any shoe I've seen, but their decision to go with a one-size-fits-all approach was a poor one in my opinion. There's just not enough platform area to support the weight in any conditions other than hard-packed trail. I'm only commenting from my experience, WITH the 6" tails.

I wish they made a longer shoe, because I love the teeth on the bottom, and the Heel lifter concept is a great feature.

I would not eliminate crampons from your list just because your snowshoes have them. For example, on hard packed snow covering some ice, crampons are much easier to be hiking in than snowshoes, especially when descending.

winter newbie

Don't sweat the details- get your ass out there! Enjoy, have fun, be safe!

Latest posts