Winter Hiking Protocols

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hogan

Reaction score
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."
---Edward Whymper

I’m beginning to prepare for the upcoming winter season. Many of us prefer the winter for the peace and solitude of the quiet woods or the beauty of snow-capped peaks and crystal-clear air or even the exciting challenge of achieving a winter summit or checking one off a list.

After a couple of months of rest and relaxation, I’ve returned to the gym for every-other-day weight training workouts and my three-times-a-week, three-mile walks are now with a 20-pound training pack. I’ve also reexamined many of my hiking protocols as a result of some recent reading. I’ve spent the last few days carefully reviewing the thoughts and insights of the hiking community regarding last winter’s tragic fatalities in the White Mountains. I’m sure there are many members of this website who were deeply moved and affected by the untimely deaths and carefully thought about their own personal operating procedures – “pops”.

So what have you learned? Have you made changes on group size, equipment, weather factors, decision-making/risk-assessment and philosophy? Are you satisfied with past practices or have you added some and discarded others? Are some principles unalterable while others may be dependent on circumstances encountered?

With a little over a month before the start of the “official” winter hiking season, what are your “pops” for winter hiking? Do you have specific rules that are never compromised? Are you willing to share your secrets of success and longevity? It would be a good time to think about the past, learn from it, and safely enjoy the wonders of the mountains.

Here are a few of my own hiking protocols:

1. It has always been about the journey, not the destination. The mountains will always be there another day. There is no shame in turning back. “Failing forward” is not so much an unachieved goal as it is a continuation of progress.

2. Establish a turn-around-time depending on destination, distance, amount of daylight available, and potential escape routes AND STICK TO IT!

3. If weather forecasts and/or environmental factors (wind, temperatures) are not favorable, postpone for another day or terminate the trip en route.

4. Determine back-bearings before departing. Write them down and have them easily accessible in case weather deteriorates.

5. Leave hiking plans/contingencies, routes, expected return times, emergency phone numbers/names with someone and stick to your plans.

6. Keep the hiking team together throughout the entire trip. Start as a group, adjust the hiking pace to the slowest member, and return to the trailhead as a group.

7. Be prepared for emergencies. Be self-reliant and equipped to spend the night if necessary. Be able to perform first aid and (if possible) self-rescue.

Pete,I think most of your points are pretty universal to one degree or another.
add to it
"If it's not fun-why do it?"
When the little voice in your head says"nooo,don't do this!"listen.
In the end,the only one I need to impress is me!

I worked out my personal rules for winter hiking several years ago, even before I got into it in earnest. They really haven't changed much at all as I have gained tons of experience, and read the reports of the loss of unfortunate souls in the last few years.
By your numbers:

1) Absolutely, the journey's the thing and getting everyone home is the goal.

2) I do set turn around times, but usually very conservatively (e.g. 1-2 extra hours built in for error), so I do sometimes go on a little bit longer with that in mind. One thing that has changed is my goal for the turnaround. Where once it was nearly always something like 'back to car at least one hour before dark', now it may be more like 'let's aim to be down off that really steep pitch and only our morning tracks before we need our headlamps'.

3) Not so much. The weather forecast and ground conditions just go into the equation, but it's never like 'bad weather = cancel', more like 'high winds = change route to more sheltered descent' sort of thing.

4) Agree, but I don't always write the bearings down. Have maps and compass(es) and often GPSR obviously.

5) Leave detailed itinerary - absolutely, but I don't always stick to my route plan 100%.

6) Keeping group together is a good idea, but I don't mind letting some of the front runners go a bit if I am confident in our understanding that we will regroup periodically. Have a point person and a sweep and know how far apart they are. I don't hike above 4K alone, but I consider 2 to be a group for most hikes.

7) In winter, of course, an 'emergency' may be as simple as a lost mitten or a wrong turn. Don't just be self-sufficient, let's be well enough prepared and equipped to help others out there.

Last edited:
I'm always learning and reminders are good but I can say I am pretty satisfied with how most winter hikes were in general.

Regarding turnaround time I've found that it is a given that some hikes will be out after dark so my goal is to be past any open water crossings before darkness sets in.

Poor driving conditions are the more likely reason that I won't hike. Otherwise the weather conditions may just change where I hike.

If you are going to be out for a few days, what is the point in NOT bringing a small 4oz weather radio? Yes, everybody should carry gear for the worst conditions, but avoiding these conditions is more pro-active.

Pete,

I'd add that you shouldn't hike alone unless you are carrying enough to spend a safe night or more out in the woods.
The footing was trecherous on a hike we did yesterday, and a person in our party 2 took falls, one bad enough that if he hadn't landed square on his back and if a small tree hadn't caught him, the next bounce would have been 30' farther down a 60 degree slope onto rocks. A sobering thought if going solo.
I've been involved with or seen other falls where it was a good idea that there was someone who could go for assistance.

The ADK Winter Mountaineering School always advised a minimum party size of 4. One person to stay with the injured party and two to go for help. Also, that a full pad and sleeping bag be carried by the group. Not many follow either the party size or pad/bag requirements, but its sound, if not followed advice.

Pete_Hickey said:
In a whiteout, with strong winds, maps don't work too well.
Right, I never would have guessed that. As I said, I agree but I don't always do it.

Peakbagr said:
I'd add that you shouldn't hike alone unless you are carrying enough to spend a safe night or more out in the woods.
The footing was trecherous on a hike we did yesterday, and a person in our party 2 took falls, one bad enough that if he hadn't landed square on his back and if a small tree hadn't caught him, the next bounce would have been 30' farther down a 60 degree slope onto rocks. A sobering thought if going solo.
I really advise taking this one step further. Alone OR in a group, you need to carry enough gear to survive an unplanned night out or you're not going to be much help. If I'm going to be able to stay and help an injured team member, I need to be able to stay. Realize that for an injury that requires a litter carry in some of our not-so-remote areas, it may be several hours of cold darkness before everyone is safely out.

Last edited:
Pete - I already replied in the 'other' place to your list.

I would add here, prompted by Peakbgr's reply, that I *always* hike prepared to spend, and survive, a night out should it become necessary. It may not be the most comfortable night, but I would have a pretty good chance of seeing the next day by which time my failure to report in should have instigated some kind of search.

Which leads to the next point. When I hike solo, as I often do, I will never change my route other than to abort and retrace my steps.

My first point also explains why it always appears that I have brought every piece of kit I own with me when others appear to be carrying nothing more than a spare pair of socks and a bottle of water :rolleyes:

Bob

If you're going above treeline, memorize the map.

Double check all bearings in limited visability

Don't use a method for declination correction that requires math, you can't add when your hypothermic.

For me, I try to be on a trail, preferably broken, when it gets dark.

Set turn arounds based on weather and energy levels, not time.

Bring lunch and dinner regardless of the hiking plan.

Know how to change your light's batteries with mittens on, and in the dark.

JHS.

Having spent a very cold night in November in the NH woods I can tell you that the one piece of gear I wish I'd had was matches or some way to start a fire. I always carry firestarters, lint and a little bag of kerosene soaked wood with me in now. The warmth and company a fire provides has saved many a life of those lost or injured in winter.

The kerosene soaked wood is an idea I hadn't thought of. I think I'll add that to my pack, winter and summer. I also carry a few candles for the same purpose.

Jack London's "To Build a Fire" should be required reading for every winter hiker or climber. :D

Jim lombard said:
Having spent a very cold night in November in the NH woods I can tell you that the one piece of gear I wish I'd had was matches or some way to start a fire. I always carry firestarters, lint and a little bag of kerosene soaked wood with me in now. The warmth and company a fire provides has saved many a life of those lost or injured in winter.

TWO ways to start a fire are even better. I carry lighter (easiest, but least foolproof), waterproof matches, and a Magnesium starting tool. When you need fire, you'll be ever thankful.

After reading this 2 thoughts came to me..

1.. 30 foot fall doesn't sound so good. Second thoughts now.
2.. Who will take a newbi along with them?

How about a check list of essential winter day trip items?

thx.. David

SherpaKroto said:
TWO ways to start a fire are even better. I carry lighter (easiest, but least foolproof), waterproof matches, and a Magnesium starting tool. When you need fire, you'll be ever thankful.

Just a thought on the "least foolproof" factor: (And I speak from experience) Bics don't Flic in extreme cold weather. Plus that little thumb wheel requires removing gloves or mitts. Not to say that I don't try that first! Just make sure you follow with Sherpa's backup plans (matches and/or starter tool)!

Last edited:
Peakbagr said:
I've been involved with or seen other falls where it was a good idea that there was someone who could go for assistance.

The ADK Winter Mountaineering School always advised a minimum party size of 4. One person to stay with the injured party and two to go for help. Also, that a full pad and sleeping bag be carried by the group. Not many follow either the party size or pad/bag requirements, but its sound, if not followed advice.

I also took a fall yesterday, on a solo hike. The "objective" hazard was a very small patch of verglas-like frozen runoff. The "subjective" hazard was spending too much time watching my dogs above me and not enough watching my own footing. But for the friction of my pack on rock (and the instant, timely obedience of my two furry companions who came rushing to join the fun), it could have been worse. It ended with just a banged knee and a (mostly) controlled slide to a small ledge.

OTOH, with slightly less luck it might have resulted in an injury requiring a carryout, or even a "recovery," by some of my SAR colleagues. (For the uninitiated -- there is no "recovery" from a "recovery.") I did have with me sufficient clothing to keep me warm while I waited. If I had struck the rock with my head instead of my knee, it would have been a lot less fun.

In winter, even very small things are magnified in importance.

Carrying the gear to spend an unplanned night out is a good idea. In our case,all our hiking is winter overnight trips,using a tent,so there's a built in security in that. One step further,however,we always carry enough food for an unexpected extra night out,due to weather,injury,or"let's just stay another day".

KayakDan said:
One step further,however,we always carry enough food for an unexpected extra night out,due to weather,injury,or"let's just stay another day".

I just learned that lesson. The extra food I carry is just emergency survival stuff. On a recent trip, I wished I had substituted an extra meal or two -- it would have been great to stay out another day. We headed back down because real food was calling.