Winter Hiking Protocols

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SherpaKroto said:
TWO ways to start a fire are even better. I carry lighter (easiest, but least foolproof), waterproof matches, and a Magnesium starting tool. When you need fire, you'll be ever thankful.

But do you carry lighter fluid...just kidding. I have a similar approach to SherpaK, only mine is a two tier system. Lighter, and then water proof matches.

I'm surprised we're even talking fire starting. I take redundant fire starting (lighter/waterproof matches/firesticks) every time I go in the woods seriously. Doesn't everyone, and especially in winter? It's part of a zip lock that contains compass, knife, some cord, tiny first aid kit (w/ usual assortmet of stuff including duct tape), head lamp and in winter, space blanket and chemical toe warmers. In full winter, I also always have crampons if going up a mountain.

Other than that stuff which goes everywhere, it depends. On one of my couple winter trips up Liberty each year (a mountain I like, two hours from door to trailhead), not much else except redundant (BTW, I'm not an engineer, I just like the word redundant today) socks, gloves and hat. Generally goggles and balaclava too along with the normal winter wear and normal food for winter day hike (I usually carry a thermos with soup too). The generally below 4000 trips in snowy woods (versus icy ledges), I have found you don't need to overkill.

Above treeline, GPS goes in, axe straps on too and at least, pad/sleeping bag and heavier space blanket tarpish thing.

I hike alone a lot in winter and like others mentioned earlier, always stick to the route (but I leave what the likely "out" alternatives are as well). And whether alone or in a group, the key word in winter is conservative.

Conservative miles, turnaround time, goals, reaction to weather, etc.

Last edited:
I think that the most important thing that to imbed in your mind for winter hiking, so that you will remember it even if hypothermic, is never ever try to bivi above treeline without proper gear, especially given last winter's sad events in the Whites. Always, always get below treeline by whatever means, even if you have lost the trail. Bic lighters, matches, or whatever are all useless above treeline, and dry warm clothing, bivi sacks, sleeping bags, foam pads, and tents work better below treeline than above.

Perhaps its me.

I love winter backpacking and have done it for a long long time. I have been in my share of dicey situations, suffered through hypothermic situations and the like.

One thing common in all those experiences is that I changed out of my wet clothes, into dry ones, got in shelter (tent/shelter) and got in my bag.

Starting a fire wasn't even considered.

Now don't got me wrong. I carry similar materials like people have mentioned, however, I think there are numerous things you can do/take with you/experiene(s) that are critically more important than starting a fire.

Although I am sure everyone is an "expert" at starting a fire (esp. the boys;) ), IMHO, esp. in winter, it requires moreTIME (starting/fuel gathering/etc.). Again, IMHO, this time can be better spent and more productive if you are in a dangerous situation (weather).

Anyways as always...great discussion.

Peace.

In winter I'm warier about taking on lightly-traveled, unbroken trails, both because they're more demanding and because there's less likely to be someone to pick up the pieces if I come a cropper.

I also think twice (or thrice) about doing a loop hike, as opposed to an up-and-back. I sure would hate to get 7 miles into a 9 mile loop and lose the trail or come to an impassable stream.

Finally, after reading about some of last year's deaths, my space blanket suddenly seemed laughably inadequate. I invested $25 in an emergency bivy sack.

John raises a point I've mentioned in similar threads. I spend a lot of time looking at a map the evening before heading out. More if the route is long, the objective a long way from the trailhead, and especially above the treeline.
I stick a piece of masking tape on the back of my compass with above treeline bearings written-in, and their reciprocals. Also, the bearings back to the treeline or escape routes. With the wind howling, limited visibility and others perhaps urging the party to press on, I want to know exactly where to head. I dial-in the next bearing upon arrival at the previous one.
We once saved the asses of a couple of hikers on Marcy in the winter. The viz was 10' and wind blowing loud enough to requiring shouting. They insisted "down" was toward Panther Gorge. I had the correct route dialed in and they reluctantly followed us back to the safety of the treeline, opposite of where they were heading.