Woman Hiker Killed by Coyotes in Nova Scotia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
A recent item from the CBC but relevant to safety of hikers:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/28/ns-coyote-attack-died.html#socialcomments

I hope this does not degenerate into a discussion of the politics of wildlife management but sticks to the topic of hiker safety.

After this article appeared there were several reports of earlier coyote attacks in the area and from time to time we learn of attacks, usually closer to human populations. The lesson for me is that alertness to the hazards of grizzlies and mountain lions in other parts of the country does not mean we are totally free of predators in the Northeast. While I don't intend to carry pepper spray or a 44 caliber handgun, the sidebar offers some practical tips on hiker safety. However, I'm curious about looking the animal directly in the eye ... that is usually perceived (by the animal) as threatening and possibility instigating an attack.

... the sidebar offers some practical tips on hiker safety. However, I'm curious about looking the animal directly in the eye ... that is usually perceived (by the animal) as threatening and possibility instigating an attack.

I've long considered that business about not looking a critter in the eye a lot of hogwash.

While admittedly inexperienced with facing down wild beasties like bears, cougars and moose, I will claim some experience in dealing with aggressive dogs over the 55+ years since I have started roaming around in the woods and fields pretty much on my own. After getting nailed a couple of times as a kid, I learned to take charge of situations by stopping, standing my ground, looking those dogs right in the eye, and commanding them to back off with the firmest voice I can muster. There is no need for shouting, either. I avoid stomping, waving my arms around (moving hands and arms make attractive targets, and I want my hands available to punch, choke, gouge, or whatever if an attack comes).

(I also learned as a kid it is best to completely avoid confrontation or contact with larger pastured farm animals. Leave that to the experienced stock handlers.)

I don't know how this would work with a pair or more of coyotes.

G.

"I learned to take charge of situations by stopping, standing my ground, looking those dogs right in the eye, and commanding them to back off with the firmest voice I can muster."

After running the country roads for 30 years, I always knew where a supply of 'throwing rocks' was located near the home of every bad dog on my routes.
When suprised, however, I found the best thing to do was stop moving, laser my gaze on the approaching dog, then slowly crouch down as if to pick up a rock, never letting my gaze leave the rapidly closing dog.
Canines who chase pedestrians have done the routine before and know that the crouch means a rock is headed their way. Stops them in their tracks 95% of the time.
The other 5% is another story. ;)

I agree whole-heartedly with Grumpy and Peakbagger. A death stare and low, deep, and firm tone has always been my approach with an aggressive canine and a boot to the chest if they attacked. Even had to do this from a motorcycle one time and when I came back on the same road it lay where I left it, never to repeat. Off topic but dad always told me if you are on a bike, aim for their arse and they will jump out of the way before you hit, swerve to miss and they could jump in your path and kill you. Wonder if you charge down a coyote you would fair better. ;)

I haven't dealt with coyotes or wolves. But I've dealt with a lot of dogs. I love dogs, and 95% of them are friendly, so I just make friends. If the dog is unfriendly, I take the agressor role. I run straight at the dog, growling very loudly. Almost all "threatening" dogs have turned and run away when I did this.

If the dog is unfriendly, and stands its ground, then it's time to pick up the club and back away slowly, but that's only happened once that I can remember.

TCD

It's been my understanding that you square off against, look large and stare down anything less than a grizzly. I'm not sure about big cats. I think with them you're a bit skrewed, unless you can gouge an eye or something.

The girl that was killed by the coyotes probably ran and was taken down by one or more. Sadly it's obvious from the reports that she did not die quickly.

A DNA study of 200 coyote in Maine showed that 1 was 89% wolf. I'm guessing those Canadien coyote were mostly wolf also.

If the dog is unfriendly, and stands its ground, then it's time to pick up the club and back away slowly, but that's only happened once that I can remember.

TCD

I've only been seriously attacked by a dog meaning to do me harm once, while going door to door doing survey work after college. This dog was going for the throat. Fortunately I was carrying a clip-board and used it two-handed to "block" the dogs nose as it lunged up at me. The dog stumbled back, a bit dazed or surprised, and then lunged at me again. I blocked/boxed the nose more firmly with the clip-board this time, hoping the board wouldn't break. It didn't and the dog finally backed off. I had MANY dogs bark aggressively at me that summer, but I noticed they almost all were also wagging their tails as they barked. This dog did not wag his tail.

from the linked article said:
Bancroft had his own run-in with a coyote several years ago when he was alone in the woods.

"A coyote came straight at me. It happened very, very quickly. It stopped and I just stood my ground, I didn't act," he said. "It actually regrouped and charged again. And I think the fact that I didn't act like a prey item convinced it to leave me alone."

Bancroft advises hikers to be alert and leave their iPods at home. He also suggests carrying a knife.

Last edited:
With dogs and many other animals, prolonged eye contact is an expression of dominance, and an averted gaze is a sign of sumbission. Returning a stare is a challenge to the animal's status, and may discourage an attack - if the animal is willing to concede that you are dominant. If the animal does not concede, you may have a fight on your hands.

... I learned to take charge of situations by stopping, standing my ground, looking those dogs right in the eye, and commanding them to back off with the firmest voice I can muster. There is no need for shouting, either. I avoid stomping, waving my arms around (moving hands and arms make attractive targets, and I want my hands available to punch, choke, gouge, or whatever if an attack comes). ... don't know how this would work with a pair or more of coyotes.

Aha! Become the alpha male ... except with those species whose attitude is, "You ain't kidding me."

... A DNA study of 200 coyote in Maine showed that 1 was 89% wolf. I'm guessing those Canadien coyote were mostly wolf also.

That probably explains the wolf like howls we heard while camped in Stetsontown (north of Rangeley near the Canadian border). We half expected a fuzzy nuzzle to poke through the tent.

The Eye Stare

It is a long story but I stared a Grizzly in the eye from about 3 feet away. He was close enough to touch with an outstretched hand. I fell into the black bottomless-ness of his eyes. It was a total loss of power for me and I turned away.

There's a bit more to the story and I got very lucky with the outcome. But that's my contribution on the eye stare. Other animals I have bowed up to and stared off. Grizzlies from a distance will usually keep their distance if you act big, loud and crazy.

I was hiking black bear mtn by inlet ny this spring an I herd a howl very close to me so I picked up my pace. A few minutes later I herd another one and did double time. When I got to my car I had lost my water bottle from the bouncing up and down.

I was hiking black bear mtn by inlet ny this spring an I herd a howl very close to me so I picked up my pace. A few minutes later I herd another one and did double time. When I got to my car I had lost my water bottle from the bouncing up and down.

That'd be scary, especially if you were by yourself. From what I understand, though, if they were after you, you'd do better by stopping and facing them vs hurrying away.

Carrying an air horn is a good idea. In a situation like that 3 short blasts would probably scare the animal away and would also serve as a warning that you may need help. Maybe 2 blasts at first to scare the animal and then 3 later, if you're still being followed.

I've only been seriously attacked by a dog meaning to do me harm once, while going door to door doing survey work after college...

I have had dogs "come at me" hard and fast a few times, and have been lucky enough that a very loud, angry "Stop" cowed them into retreat. My "best" near-dog-attack story, though, comes from my early 20s, when we lived in Taiwan for a year. First off, you need to know that dogs in Taiwan (at least in the 1980s) typically had very short legs... you would see dogs that looked like full-grown German Shepherds or Rhodesian Ridgebacks hobbling around on the legs of a Dachshund (my theory was -- and I mean no offense by this -- 1) it made them easier to catch and 2) there isn't much meat on a dog's leg anyway).

The only time I recollect seeing a full-sized dog with full-length legs was, unfortunately, when the now-Mrs. DrewKnight and I were out for a ride on our old motorcycle, in the lush mountains south of Taipei. We were running back down a fairly steep hill on a two-lane road, when a very large, very angry-looking German Shepherd (full-length legs) came charging out of a driveway, apparently intent on attacking us. We were rolling at about 40mph, and I genuinely couldn't see how this was going to end well for any of us. I instinctively extended and locked my right leg and hit the dog full-force in the side, "jousting" him rolling into the gutter, and we managed to stay upright and ride on.

I love dogs, so usually even the scary looking ones end up licking my face. Like I said, I've only had to deal with one that wouldn't be friendly, and wouldn't back down. This was about 20 years ago, at the trailhead for the old RoosterComb trail (adks).

The old trail started on the Garden Road, at the very large split boulder. The trail followed a private road (easement) for a little ways before heading into the woods.

Right at the trailhead, by the road, there is a driveway on hikers right. A large (100 lb?) mixed breed dog had come out of that driveway (off its property) and was blocking the private road. My wife's not as comfortable with dogs, so she was pretty scared. I tried to make friends, but the dog would have none of it. Then I tried running at the dog, growling, but the dog stood its ground and growled back. So I picked up a club, and slowly backed up. We got in the car, and we left and hiked elsewhere.

Not too long after that was when the old RoosterComb trail was closed, and the new one was built. I can't help wondering if that pooch, or it's owners (more likely) had something to do with that.

TCD

Ive solo alot in NH ,CO and some in the Sierra's. Ive had many encounters with wildlife of a nasty nature, ie. lions, bears and coyotes, that being said, my position on this, is this, wildlife by nature will group you into one of three catagories, a none threat to be ignored, a terratorial threat, or dinner. My position has always been, to first appear as cat one, a none threat, you should know very soon if this is working, if not, I try to convince said animal that I am higher on the food chain and not to be messed with. This is really a none issue here in the Whites, but out west I carry and will defend myself appropiately. I also agree with the pevious posters who stared down thier menacing creatures, I have always not only stared down an animal but approached it as well, as I talked to it letting said animal know in aloud voice, Im no easy pickings, really its thats simple, show weakness and they will be on you fast. This is not being macho, this is being part of real nature.