Yet another alcohol stove advantage discovered accidentally.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRat

Reaction score
I was getting ready for a short stomp around the Middlesex Fells when I noticed by back was feeling wet and cold. I checked both water bottles and the were fine, I assumed it was condensation until it began spreading.

The top of my fuel bottle had become loose and about 6 ounces of methanol was now seeping through my pack.

I pulled everything out, sopped up what I could with my towel and spread everything out to dry.

About five minutes later things were dry enough to repack, though the towel took about ten minutes longer. No soaking, no stains, no smell.

Of course, not much fuel left either, but the stuff is cheap and so are replacement bottles.

I'm so happy spring is here and I can commune with my favorite stove again.

True 'nuff Doug.

But aside from being cleaner burning than gas and not requiring disposable metal canisters, I was surprised at how quick and cleanly it evaporated.

I never even dealt with a leaking canister. Anyone know if the ethyl mercaptin additives would linger? I'm not sure I want anything called a stenching agent loose in my pack.

Will gladly take the Pepsi challenge and spill another 8oz bottle of methanol in my pack for anyone who would do the same with gas in theirs. No smokers please. ;)

McRat said:
But aside from being cleaner burning than gas and not requiring disposable metal canisters, I was surprised at how quick and cleanly it evaporated.

The fuel to avoid spilling in your pack is kerosene--leaves an oily and smelly stain. And they all are solvents and have the potential for damaging gear.

Spilled electrolyte drinks make your gear sticky (sugar).

Doug