Yosemite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
I am going out to Yosemite for a few days in june and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to do besides the obvious half dome, el capitan, yosemite waterfalls sites. Any not so publicized out of the way must sees?

Hi King Tut,
Please keep an eye on the snow pack. They've had one of the highest snow totals this year and it will be effecting when some trails will open. Tioga road is still closed.
Here is a neat site I've found and Phil will respond directly to you.
http://www.yosemitefun.com/

and here is a website that will link you to the USFS webcams. There are 2 in Yosemite
http://www.leonardsworlds.com/listing/parks/yosemite.htm

I like Seema's suggestions, and you must hit some of the falls (Vernal, and Little Yosemite)....and try Half-dome, the views are incredible!
Good luck,
Bill

Last edited:
Tuolumne Meadows - a beautiful region with many small lakes, stark granite peaks, clear mountain streams, waterfalls and meadows with colourful wildflowers. A network of hiking trails allow for easy exploration of this splendid landscape.

There are three groves of giant sequoia in the Park, most famous being the Mariposa Grove of Big Trees in the southwest corner. More than 200 huge sequoias grow closely together; the largest is the 'Old Grizzly', estimated to be more than 3,000 years old.

http://www.yosemitefun.com/tuolumne_meadows.htm
http://www.supertopo.com/climbingareas/tuolumne.html

thanks for the websites and info. It looks like the tioga road still has up to 10 feet of snow on it right now, but the weather is going to be real warm the next week and a half there, so hopefully it will melt quickly. i don't get there until june 7th, i'll cross my fingers. I'm also staying at hodgdon meadows campground, if anyone has any ideas about that place. we'll be in the park for 2 and a half days. Half dome looks like a good hike but it appears the shortest route is 16 miles roundtrip, which would make for a long day w/ all that vertical too. I bought a 100 hikes in yosemite book the other day, so all your suggestions i have been looking up. I'm looking at visiting mariposa grove and wonder if anyone has been to chilnualna fall in that area too? I appreciate all your input.

Going to Yosemite in early June might have a few downsides (some snow), but those waterfalls will be ripping! IMO, I wouldn't worry about trying to bypass the most popular places, because they are popular for a reason :) See the sites and enjoy the majestic beauty of the place and if you think it is crowded in early June, just imagine what it would be like in the Valley on the 4th of July weekend.

Also, Half Dome's easiet route might be 16 miles RT, but it is easy except for the last 800' (up the cable route).

BTW, Mainguy has been to just about every square inch of this gorgeous country that we live in, and has been the inspiration (and mentor) to my last 4 Western vacations. If he recomends a place, believe me, you can't go wrong... :)

I agree -- you really can't go wrong there. We did a backpacking trip around the valley and on the same day hit Cloud's Rest and Half Dome. Cloud's Rest had spectacular views and only a fraction of the people (for most of our time at the top it was just us with some begging marmots), so that might be a nice alternative. If the roads are open, you could hike there from Tenaya Lake (where we camped for the night) -- that is a beautiful area as well. Some pics of both places are here: http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/yosemite_2004

Besides our time in Yosemite, we also enjoyed Mono Lake and Bodie ghost town, which aren't too far from Tioga Pass entrance.

Enjoy!!

Glacier Point

This is the spot where most of Ansel Adams greatest pics of the park have been taken..A must do if you are in for the view.

Mountaineering Choices?

Matterhorn Peak or Mount Dana by far are the best choices. If you want to keep in the valley stick with Clouds Rest.

If the road up is closed, the hike from Yosemite Valley to Glacier Point and Sentinel Dome is really nice. I went just before Memorial Day in a high-snow year about 11 years ago, and there was not much high-country road access, so hikes up and out of the valley fit the bill. I had a spruce grouse chase me up the trail for a good 1/4 mile or so, and had the trail all to myself as it was "officially" closed (meaning there were 2 or 3 places where I had to walk on snow for 100 feet or so, with no exposure whatsoever!). But if roads are open, go someplace other than the Valley, as it may be very crowded.
And I am not sure it's 16 miles RT to Half Dome, probably more like 10.

Weatherman,

Half Dome's shortest route (unless you do the 5.12 rock climb up the wall) is 16.4 miles RT with 4800 vertical starting at the Happy Isles trailhead in the Valley. The trail also goes by 2 of the most spectacular waterfalls in the whole park, Vernal and Nevada.

If anyone wants to see a few pictures I added them HERE

King Tut,

Have a blast on your trip! Yosemite is a special place... :)

nice pics frodo, I have been warned about that last climb to the top. I am a little woozy w/ the heights thing though. i have climbed the knife edge and cathedral trails in katahdin and i did the precipice and beehive in acadia np, but that looks worse. do you have any thoughts on that? has anyone fallen off of there? I just read high exposure by david breashears, and he talked about climbing half dome. it would be cool to see people climbing that sucker. i also got a campsite at wawona for one night, so i can check out the mariposa grove and the other sights in the southern part of the park. It looks like most of my plans are made for my trip now, so i can relax this weekend and do a little biking in acadia. if anyone is going to acadia this summer, do a little bike on the carriage paths- lots of beautiful lakes, wateralls, bridges, and mountains... well that's enough scattered thoughts.

Thanks Frodo, I stand corrected. I think maybe I was thinking about starting from a campsite partway up. I recall a figure of "8.8 miles RT" so it must have been from some intermediate place, or else I was being overly optimistic. Very nice pics!

Last edited:
Mt. Conness. its near the Lee Vining side of tioga, great peak but your timetable might bring snow into the picture.