Advice needed on pants with crotch-zippers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
Okay, after searching for a less public way to find these type of pants I decided that I will just suck it up and post my question here on VFTT for everyone to see . . . okay fine, you can laugh now :D

I realized during one of my first "glacier training" courses last month that responding to Nature's Call while roped up on a glacier was going to pose some difficulties. I thought of every possible way I am going to handle this "issue" without having to undo my harness and unclip from the rope, both of which I cannot do once on the glacier.

I then asked the question to one of the "instructors of the course and they directed me to one of the women who had been on a glacier before. She suggested strongly that I buy a pair of gortex mountaineering pants with a "through-the-crotch-zipper" and though I have looked everywhere for these pants, I cannot seem to find them. I find some references to such pants online but don't want to blindly buy something.

Any advice or recommendations from anyone who owns these kind of pants.

Also, while I am on the subject, ANY and ALL adive on this entire subject matter and the most discreet way to deal with this issue while "roped up" would be very much appreciated :D

Okay, for those of you still laughing, STOP IT :D

sli74

First, you will find your way with experience, no need to rush for new pants.

Though all my guides insisted that I need to take off leg loops (yes, it's valid, and the only allowed way by my guides), I never felt the need to compromise my harness, no matter what kind of pants I was wearing, and I have also used serveral kinds of harness.

The straps behind your legs are not for weight bearing purpose, only to keep things attached, and it's very elastic. Keep it loose, and leave room in leg loops and waist belt. Then by pulling the back strap to the side, slide your leg loops down a little bit, you can take off and put on pants easily!

Second, if you really want to buy pants, check REI, EMS, IME ..., options:
1. side sipped pants: I use this one for winter mountaineering. You can put it on or take it off quickly in bad conditions, without taking off crampons.
2. crotch-zipped pants: never felt it necessary. it is presumed to be more convenient for your concern.
3. full suit with center zippers: for serious expedition.

Third, don't be shy. Wonder off proven path on crevasse terrain is very dangerous.

Once upon a time, one used to be able to get harnesses with detachable leg loops. Made it easier for both men and women to drop trou while remaining roped. Not full zips, but a possible alternative.

Perhaps such harnesses are still available.

Doug

Sli -- would one of those Lady Janes (I think that's what they're called) work without requiring that you remove your harness? I've used it winter hiking and it's a godsend, and as far as I can recall, it wouldn't force you to unclip from the rope. As for places to buy, you might want to check out REI and I've always had good luck with the Mountain Gear Web site (www.mgear.com)

"Through-the-crotch" zippers are fairly standard features for both men's and women's mountaineering pants. They're pricey. Arc'teryx puts them in a bib-style pant. (It's mentioned rather incidentally in the features list along with the drawstring.)
Beyond that, I guess I'd say, just do it! :D

I thought about buying a pair of those pants, but soon realized that any inner layers would need the same feature to be effective. I use a BD Momentum AL harness and can undo the leg loops while staying tied in with the waistbelt.

Layers

Yes, agreed, for this to work all your layers need to have a zipper or a flap. And ok, full disclosure, have them, use them, love them, great both for hanress and snowshoeing, and under a hiking skirt..... Mine are all OR.

OR used to make them, but no longer. Someone posted a while back that Patagonia made them, but I checked the site and couldn't find anything.

MEC has them, but only base layer:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...&FOLDER<>folder_id=680391&bmUID=1115639473281

And if you don't have the top layer, its sort of pointless.

I have a Black Diamond Blizzard Harness and don't really want to buy a different one so I will have to work with the clips I have available on that harness.

Today's homework will be to go home and attempt to see what options I will have available as far as efficiently getting out of the leg loops.

I will have to work on the "not shy"/modesty thing because I am sure I will have little option otherwise.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

sli74

My Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness has leg clips where you can unclip the leg straps without taking off the entire harness...

Backcountry.com link

Jay

P.S. I'm still laughing. :)

When I was looking for something similar, I found them made by Wild Roses...when I search that now, it comes up under Outdoor Reasearch and I don't find the same pants.

At the time, I was too cheap to pay full price for the zippered ones and got the "pull apart" ones - not so good.

Let us know what you find!

EMS in NJ/NY have this type of pant on sale at the moment. Not sure if its gortex or even waterproof. I'll try and check them out on my way home tonight and I'll post details.

Thanks alistair, I appreciate that.

The cost for the ones online run about $300, even on sale. And I would need to get pants with this feature in all 3 layers, base, fleece and gortex. I am going to try and find every way possible to just work with the clips on my harness, but I have had multiple people tell me how worth it the convenience of the zippers are once I am on my way. So, I guess I will just keep looking.

I will let you know what I decide and get finally, twigeater.

sli74

Sli,

I just picked up a really nice pair of full zip pants at the Horny Toad outlet in freeport. By Cloudveil, they were less than $100 (usually $350), waterproof / breathable, stretch fabric with reinforced kevlar cuffs and internal gaiters. I don't mean to advertise for the store on VFTT, but it was an awesome deal. They had a ton of Women's pants left as of last weekend.

Would it be possible to have a seamstress modify an existing pair with zippers and a zipper cover?

Just an idea..

Jay

sli74 said:
And I would need to get pants with this feature in all 3 layers, base, fleece and gortex.

Perhaps not? I've used a full crotch zip union suit w/ side zip pants. Matching zips would be more convenient but not really required. Also while tied in, there's a good chance you won't be wearing a fleece layer on your legs, that's more of an in camp sitting around layer.

My friend Rebecca used "normal" base layers and full side zip pants and I think she was using the Blizzard harness (which does have a drop seat). She did as she needed when the time came. Modesty concerns were few, she was 20- 30' away from us on the rope and we were too tired to stare. Though the guides said the lady jane was a big hit among the female guides, she saw no need for it.

MEC has been good for offering the zipper option but a quick look of the site didn't turn anything up.

I'm figuring that we'll all be so nervous that we'll just pee in our pants! :eek: My suggestion: try on your existing pants with your harness on and see what works before spending $$$$ on new stuff. I suspect that you can find an acceptable method.

BTW, I don't think a pee buddy is in the cards for this trip. I'm just hoping to be uphill from you when nature calls :eek: I'll guess you feel similarly.

I'm also still laughing :D

Quack,

Where is this outlet, can I get there by the MBTA? (EDIT: Just saw the part about Freeport . . . bummer, thought it was in Boston :( )

I am not worried so much about my own rope team as those in others groups who might happen upon our group at the wrong moment ;)

I am most definitely going to try out my options with existing pants before I invest big bucks but I just wanted to see what people have used in such a situation and how best to deal with it. :)

Well, keep laughing guys, because the sense of humor is going to be needed when we have no other stores of energy left :)

sli74

Blue said:
I'm not actually suggesting you try this. I'm just passing along the reference.
Wow, I'm going to forward this page to my girlfriend.

Hell, I'm going to try it myself right here in my office! I'm HIKING at WORK!!! :p

-Dr. Wu