Animals encountered on the trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We also had a moose encounter a couple of years ago - on the summit of East Kennebago. A cow approached us to about 25 feet and then start running in circles and back and forth in a panic-like mode. We were wondering if there was a calf nearby. Little Bear had a firm grip on Genie, and we got the hell out of there in the opposite direction, not the way we had intended to descend. I don't think I have ever seen as much moosepoop anywhere else.

I remember when I signed in at the canister there on East Kennebago, one of the last ones to sign in before me wrote that he had been followed by a mother and calf all the way up, but he obviously had had no problems with them.

I was chased by a mama moose on Airline about a year an a half back. I'll never forget that moose with her head about a foot off the ground coming after me and snorting like crazy. :eek: Just about the point where she was going to catch me I jumped off the trail and started zigzagging and she let me go. It was also fortunate at the time that I had Duffy who was running free and not Lauky on a leash which would have been much more awkward.

Best one so far was the Pine Martin (George is his name per Pete H) that raided my buddies poorly cleaned cooking gear in our lean-to at Marcy Dam a few winters ago. It was a tentative raid at first, but then he got bolder with an all-out pots and pans crashing to the floor from their shelf attack and retreat series which ended after he located my friend's ground beef stash in the snow bank outside. :rolleyes:

Camping in a tent with my boys on the AT here a year or 2 ago, I was half awake at about 5am when I heard on-coming clomping like from a horse or moose (definately sounded louder than a deer). It got closer and closer to the point where I rolled over onto my boys to protect them from being crushed. It passed by the tent and continued on. After surveying the camping area, trees and brush, I determined the intruder could not possibly have been any bigger than a chipmunk. :eek: Oh well.

The standard black bar, pine marten, spruce grouse, gray jay, hawk, eagle stories. A few different varients (all of which have been told on this board before).

Two weeks after having to chase a huge black bear out of our camp in the Pemi, I was on a solo hike with my black lab going to our favorite spot, Roger's Ledge. A dog that was usually all over the place, as we neared the height-of-land she became slowed and guarded, sniffing in the air. I figured a bear was near, and we rounded the corner to see a bull moose literally lying down in the middle of the trail. All three of us froze in suprise to see each other. The moose bolted, and promptly tried to run between two 12" trees lining the trail, with a huge rack on his head. He slammed into them, stopped, looked at me (to this day I still will see with an embarassed look on his mug), went around the tree, and bolted. It was amazing to watch him run through the heavy woods and not get caught up again. My dog chased after him for about 30 seconds, couldn't keep up, and came back.

I once saw a fisher cat on Mt. Cube cross the trail and since my lab was off running around, I initially thought the cat was my dog. Imagine my suprise when my dog easily climbed a tree. "Wow...I've never seen her do THAT before...". Took me a few minutes to understand what it was (black lab and black bear cub were the other options).

Last, here's one nobody has on their list: A red-throated loon. One November around Veterans' Day, we were hiking over the Carters. Around the summit of South Carter, we came across a bird sitting in the middle of the trail. It was about ~15 with blowing snow and heavy winds. It was just sitting there, and we stopped and tried to feed it something. He didn't seem particularly happy to be there. We finished our hike, finishing up the Carters and turned around to head back to our camp below Zeta Pass. We got back to the spot...and the loon was still there. Well, we debated about letting nature take it's course or bringing him back with us. We decided on the latter (I can still picture a pine marten sitting off the trail with a "WTF???" look on his face we we took his dinner...).

I put him in my pack, got him back to camp, put him on the foot of our sleeping bag, and he spent the night with us. He eventually made it to an Audobon place in southern Maine, where he was nursed back to health and eventually released back into the wild.

We figured he was in his migration (these loons generally are in the Labrador/Newfoundland area) and got blown down into the trees. Couldn't get his start through the woods, so he couldn't take off.

Last edited:
I had a mouse on my face when I was in Battel Shelter early one March. The guy I was with told me I was dreaming (Chip). Outside the shelter were snowshoe hares that were bigger than Morgan Horses.

My list has all of the usual suspects already listed. My son and I were watching a beaver take down a sapling and munch on it. He asked "Why are they so loud when they eat."

While doing a bird survey on Waumbec a porcupine kept coming way to close. I was trying to count everything I heard in a specified time interval. I had to debate start over or let this thing get to close.

I wont post my bird list here.

Jason - very similar to what we saw...Adventerous and Leaf were with me. I was worried it might be rabid when I first saw it..

My thought as well. ESP during daylight.

I have seen them while night hiking near Marcy Dam: Headlamp attracts night-flying bugs; then next thing you know there's a bat flying laps back and forth in your beam. Bit disconcerting, but normal.

Having had several sightings of various large mammals found in the Northeast, I swear we even heard wolves while camped one night in Stetsontown, I must say that wildlife sightings are as important to me as the views at the destination. My weakness, however, is in identifying waterfowl and birds and I am always grateful when I hike or paddle with someone who can ... like Audrey who can often identify birds just from their song.

Winter quests for me are often into remote ponds in search of tracks to follow.

I think the pileated woodpecker is the rarest bird I've seen and have only seen one once which surprises me because I've seen so much of their handiwork ... or should I say beakwork. The great horned owl is anoth treat to see, which I enjoyed only once while it was perched high in a dead tree ... there is no mistaking their silhouette.

Lucky

We've seen a lot of the usual suspects, but not near often enough. Having a dog along certainly makes it harder. I've been lucky enough to capture a few with the camera.

09boottspur72807.jpg

Northern Saw-Whet Owl Aegolius acadicus

38hancocks21708.jpg

American Marten Martes americana

KDT

We've seen a lot of the usual suspects, but not near often enough. Having a dog along certainly makes it harder. I've been lucky enough to capture a few with the camera

What a great pic of the Northern saw-whet owl!!!

I've been woken by moose alongside the tent as well, but the in-tent encounter that scared me most went like this:

I was in Alaska with two friends, far from any trail and days from any other human. We camped, as usual, beside a stream. There was some snow on the ground but the sun-warmed gravel on the bank provided a snow-free tent platform.

During the "night" (the sun never went down) I woke to a splashing noise. You know the sound a dog makes when it drinks? Like that, only LOUD. And CLOSE. And definitely RIGHT NEXT TO MY TENT. I knew this part of Alaska had wolves, but this sounded BIG. Grizzly maybe? And it wasn't going away.

Eventually I unzipped my tent and peeked out. It was a beaver, almost within touching distance of the shore, trying to swim upstream through slush and thin ice.

Oh, there's also a (probable) night-time moose episode during the unplanned bivouac described in this trip report.

Has anyone seen a wild boar like in that news article last month in Ma? I keep having dreams that I'll come across one when hiking. I hope it never happens because they look really scary!

On the AT in the south, there are areas where they warn you about the boars, but I never saw one.

I thought I had seen it all in the Whites, until two years ago when I saw a lady backpacking on the Twinway with an orange domestic longhaired cat named "Lamont" on a leash...

We encoutered wild boar in the smokies several years ago. We started off early from a shelter and noticed some very fresh "rototilling" on each side of the trail. We went over the next rise and there were four of them right on either side of the trail. They stared at us and slowly walked off the trail and stopped once they got out of sight. We ran into one of the paid hunters hired to eradicate the boars from the park that evening and he was excited until we showed him our map and it was out of his "district".

The strangest one was in the Catskills (I can't remember the peak). In late fall I found a Canada goose sitting in the middle of the trail, high up on the mountain, miles from any water. Just sitting there. I walked by and he shuffled off to the side. I think maybe he didn't mean to land there; I hope he was ok.

Not to start a debate, but when I was in early college I was sure I saw a mountain lion on Chamberlain Lake (Allagash headwaters). That was before I knew the official stance on their existance, or became an official person myself, so I no longer have a clear idea what I think I saw!

Not exactly on the trail,but I had a racoon take off with my playmate cooler at Roaring Brook a couple years back. The cooler was full of illicit beverages not allowed in BSP... I found it a few hundred feet away the next day, poor guy didn't know how to open it...Still have the cooler with the scratch marks and gouges from his attempts. I got to drink the beer.:D
sandy

A few of my favorite wildlife encounters

A surreal black bear encounter. This story was part of my contribution to Carol White's compilation of Catskill Peak Experiences. It was unique in that most of my black bear encounters have been very brief, with the startled bear immediately turning tail and running away. But in this one the bears ignored me. As if I wasn't there - an almost out of body experience:

On an overcast, breezy, and chilly Father's Day 2005 I was hiking up the Cathedral Glen trail on Belleayre through a deep and beautiful hemlock glen. Normally I am constantly scanning the woods with my eyes looking for wildlife, and this shadowless day was ideal. However, I was climbing at a good clip, had my head down, and was in deep in thought when I heard some rustling off trail. I looked into the woods expecting to see a deer perhaps, but was surprised to find myself only twelve feet from a very small bear foraging away from me. She appeared to be a three year old cub. Within a few seconds I saw a teddy bear size cub in tow, and then a second cub. I stopped to allow the bears time and room to move on. The mother was no more than forty inches long. I was almost tempted to ask her "aren't you a little young for this?" Multiple births are somewhat rare for first time mothers, but I suspect these were her first cubs. I later learned that females are capable of mating as early as two years of age. The encounter was very surreal. She never once looked toward me, although it is hard to believe she was unaware of my presence. The cubs also paid no attention to me. At one point they climbed a small tree, and so I thought I must have spooked them. But they immediately scampered back down and were just playing. Despite being Father's day, papa bear was of course nowhere to be seen.

Stuck behind a slow moving pigeon. One of my strangest wildlife encounters was a rock pigeon walking a narrow stretch of the Verkeerderkill Falls trail in the Shawangunks, NY. We initially met as she was bushwhacking a perpendicular path to the trail. We both arrived at the same spot at the same time. As we were both surprised upon meeting, we each stopped to gaze at the other. The pigeon apparently assumed by my pause that I was giving her the right of way. So she hopped onto the trail and began to waddle along the trail in front of me. Oh great, I thought to myself, now I am stuck behind a slow moving pigeon. But I was amused by the predicament, so I followed her for some distance. Soon I began to worry that darkness might befall me, so I eventually began to crowd her a bit. She hopped off the trail and glared at me as I walked past. Over my shoulder I observed that she hopped right back on the trail and resumed her slow traverse. Why fly when you have a nice trail to walk?

Water slap. Last week my presence prompted the normal warning signal from a mother beaver. I had come too close to her family's lodge at my neighborhood, Esopus Bend Nature Preserve. I was trying to get photos of the resident, not-so-mute Mute Swans (who were vocalizing their displeasure at being photographed by the paparazzi). No doubt the beaver was warning her kits (whom I have seen a few times) to stay in the lodge. Several times she slapped the surface of the water with her tail. I caught the following photo just as she preparing to slap the water surface (click for a larger view). A short slide show of photos (including the swans) is here

I put him in my pack, got him back to camp, put him on the foot of our sleeping bag, and he spent the night with us. He eventually made it to an Audobon place in southern Maine, where he was nursed back to health and eventually released back into the wild.

We figured he was in his migration (these loons generally are in the Labrador/Newfoundland area) and got blown down into the trees. Couldn't get his start through the woods, so he couldn't take off.

Amazing!!! That was tremendously honorable!!! You are a natural. May that act revisit you in a time of need. :)

This is a very uplifting thread at a sad time and I've tried to green-square about a dozen posters but it won't let me.

I love the picture by Ed'n'Lauky of the bobcat.

Thanks for all the wonderful stories that have taken me to special places in the forest.

happy trails :)