Animals encountered on the trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Animals encountered on the trail

Well, the usual suspects.

I think that the most alarming, at least for me, was a family group of moose at twilight as I was coming down the Fire Wardens Trail in New Hampshire. Alarming because they are so very big, even the calf, and I was out numbered 5 to 1. In fact I have had a few moose encounters down the years, including one where a bull ran in front of my car, and I mean in front. It sorta ran from off the side of the road and jumped in front of my car and ran ahead of the car and down the road for about a quarter mile before running off to the side of the road again. I was going about 30mph and could not jam on the brakes on that unpaved road. OK- not a trail, a road, but how odd was that!?

Anyway- They, the moose family- were not exactly on the trail, but next to the path busily stripping the leaves off of some saplings, and I did not know the protocol of the situation. I tried not to alarm them as I tipped toed down the steep trail, but they noticed and we all stopped and stared at each other. Then, as if on cue, everybody started to run. Luckily we all ran away and in different directions and away from eachother.

Another time I was bushwhacking up a lovely ridge to the Wittenberg. I was passing thru a lovely forest with many black cherry trees that were dropping there fruit. I noticed some impressively large bear poo and was just thinking that the last thing that I would like to have happen would to met up that the bear that could leave that behind (so to speak). I looked up to see a very large black bear about 50 feet away that was watching me. It ran off another 50 feet or so and stopped and turned around to watch me. I continued on my way at my usual slow pace and the bear ran off. Ok, this last story is about an encounter that did not happen on a trail, per se, but I thought it was interesting. I usually don't get to see bears on trails- only off trail.

Sadly, I am seeing some animals much less these days then, say, 10 years ago. Especially porcupines. I would most likely see one on any trip to the Catskills back in the 1990s. More then once I had to race one down a trail or wait for it to waddle off to the trail's side so that I could pass. I don't know how many times that I sat down a rock at a scenic viewpoint along a trail only to jump up in painful alarm when I sat on a needle! And at almost every leanto there were the resident porcupines that would visit your camp once the sun went down. Once I woke up to three porcupines in the Devil's Acre Leanto with me! I hardly see them any more and I haven't sat on a needle in years. I miss them!

But the most unusual encounters that I've had have been while encamped. But that's another thread.

I saw 2 moose on a trail in Cape Breton Island NP in Nova Scotia. They were huge, eating leaves off trees and ignoring all the excited humans. On that same trip, I saw a deer so close that I could see the velvet on it's antlers.

I've seen a coyote on Slide Mt Road, but I've also seen them near my home across the river from the Catskills. I saw a porcupine in a tree on one of the trails near North Lake. I've seen a lot of grouse on most of the summits in the Catskills.

I saw a bobcat crossing the road and it took my brain awhile to realize what I was seeing. My dad saw a bobcat carrying it's kitten in it's mouth.

My husband saw a wolf a few years ago stalking deer. He also had a weird encounter with a squirrel when he was hunting. He was wearing a kind of one piece jump suit and standing very still and the squirrel ran right up his leg as if he was a tree before realizing it's mistake and running away.

I had a flying squirrel in my squirrel proof bird feeder one night. That was pretty cool. We also had a fox den visable from our bedroom window in our old house and there were 2 kits that we would watch playing in the snow.

What about Crazy Animal encounters while sleeping in your tent?

A buddy and I were kept awake one night by a herd of mice that used our tent roof as a sliding hill. No, I'm not making this up. They climbed to the peak and slid down the other side. And then back aqain, ad infinitum.

Did I mention that the campsite was infested with hundreds and hundreds of mice? Did I mention that they were running up my arms and across the top of my pack while I was trying to secure our food? :eek:

I've also had the pleasure of pitching my tent in the dark on an unseen moose trail. So how do I know it was a moose trail? Clump, clump, clump, CLATTER, CLATTER, CLATTER. And I'm pretty sure I heard some moose cussin' as well.

Have also seen mountain lions (cougars), desert bighorn, lynx, tarantulas (they migrate in October - where to, who knows?) and wild horses/burros, all in the west.

Since this thread goes beyond the Northeast, I'll add a few more. I hiked many years in the French Alps. I saw many Chamois, a mountain antelope, also the Bouquetin which I believe would be called the Ibex in English. It is a true mountain goat. While the Chamois was quite timid and difficult to approach, the Bouquetin was much less timid and one time I came on a mixed herd and was able to get quite close. Because the Bouquetins were not bothered by my presence the Chamois allowed me to get much closer than usual.

I also saw many Marmots. There also was the occasional fox. One time when hiking along a trail with my miniature poodle who was out of sight up ahead, I met a couple coming from the other direction. They asked if the poodle was mine. I said yes and they said, well we never thought we would see a poodle chasing a fox.

I also saw many golden eagles. Also early one summer when the snow was still covering the high mountains, I saw a snowshoe hare.

Since it is beyond the northeast, This past summer while mt biking at Forks Area Trail System (FATS) in SC I came to a very fast stop when I noticed a rattlesnake sun bathing on the trail. It was 5' plus and at least 4'' in diameter. It just layed there wihile I figured what to do. Since there was dense brush along the trail I decided the best thing to do was turn my bike around and ride back. I have seen many snakes up north and down here in GA/SC bu this was the first venomous one.